PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun wads/cups. How dangerous are they?

Ron3
11-20-16, 22:21
Curious.

Many (not all) slug loads have a plastic wad of some kind that separates from the slug during flight. At close range they go through cardboard targets.

But how dangerous are they to a person? I would think at close range they would at least break bare skin and could seriously hurt an eye ball.

Anyone know? Again, just curious.

26 Inf
11-20-16, 23:16
Curious.

Many (not all) slug loads have a plastic wad of some kind that separates from the slug during flight. At close range they go through cardboard targets.

But how dangerous are they to a person? I would think at close range they would at least break bare skin and could seriously hurt an eye ball.

Anyone know? Again, just curious.

I don't know for sure, but a pepperball round, fired at about 1/3 the velocity of a shotgun slug (and wad leaving the muzzle) killed Victoria Snelgrove after the 2004 ACLS in Boston. It hit her in the eye as she stood, according to the statement of the officer who fired the round 30 feet behind the intended target.

It may seem to be an apples to oranges comparison, but the point is at close range, the wad certainly could have potential to cause penetrating, potentially fatal injury - especially if orientated edgewise.

If you are shooting a Federal Tru-Ball I would also be worried about the plastic ball.

wahoo95
11-20-16, 23:53
Wasn't it a wad that killed Brandon Lee?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ron3
11-21-16, 14:54
I don't know for sure, but a pepperball round, fired at about 1/3 the velocity of a shotgun slug (and wad leaving the muzzle) killed Victoria Snelgrove after the 2004 ACLS in Boston. It hit her in the eye as she stood, according to the statement of the officer who fired the round 30 feet behind the intended target.

It may seem to be an apples to oranges comparison, but the point is at close range, the wad certainly could have potential to cause penetrating, potentially fatal injury - especially if orientated edgewise.

If you are shooting a Federal Tru-Ball I would also be worried about the plastic ball.

Hadn't considered the paint/pepper ball comparison.

I shoot Fiocchi Brenneke-style slugs and they have a plastic wad/cup piece that does not stay attached to the slug in flight.

Thanks, hadn't heard that story about Snelgrove. I suppose range makes all the difference. 30ft vs 75 ft vs 150 ft.

AR-n-Ky
11-21-16, 23:37
Well, I don't know how dangerous they are, but way back when when I was young and dumb ( in highschool, many, many moons ago, when dinosaur still roam the Earth ). A buddy and I was messing around and fired a shotshell with JUST the primer and wad in his uncle's farm house. The backstop was a freestanding metal fireplace. The kind made of heavy sheetmetal. We were across the room from it, standard room size. Anyway it put a big dent in the thing!

I don't think it would kill someone, unless you hit them in the head or something like that, but it sure would hurt them otherwise.

Like I said it was just a Winchester AA wad, powered just by a shotgun primer and it dented a heavy sheet metal freestanding fireplace. So take it for what it is.

bjxds
11-22-16, 18:42
Well, I don't know how dangerous they are, but way back when when I was young and dumb ( in highschool, many, many moons ago, when dinosaur still roam the Earth ). A buddy and I was messing around and fired a shotshell with JUST the primer and wad in his uncle's farm house. The backstop was a freestanding metal fireplace. The kind made of heavy sheetmetal. We were across the room from it, standard room size. Anyway it put a big dent in the thing!

I don't think it would kill someone, unless you hit them in the head or something like that, but it sure would hurt them otherwise.

Like I said it was just a Winchester AA wad, powered just by a shotgun primer and it dented a heavy sheet metal freestanding fireplace. So take it for what it is.

No powder just a primer? I know wads will fly at least 25 Yards out of a standard trap load but I wouldn't think a primer alone would have enough ass to do anything.

26 Inf
11-22-16, 20:24
No powder just a primer? I know wads will fly at least 25 Yards out of a standard trap load but I wouldn't think a primer alone would have enough ass to do anything.

Most of the Force on Force training ammunition is powered by small pistol primer only - they leave welts and divots when they hit unprotected areas. The primer only can have some oomph.

AR-n-Ky
11-22-16, 23:54

Yep, just a primer. After seeing that, it gave me a true, no BS respect for firearms! I truly realized the power, and dangers they can have.

Primers have alot more power than people think.

Another story. A friend of mine mom did quick draw back in the late '60's early '70's. They would draw and shoot at a target just afew feet away, speed was the main thing, but hitting the target was apart of it.

They would load wax bullets in brass that had it's flash hole enlarged and load Magnum primers in. The wax "bullet" was powered by just a Magnum primers.

One day she "got on the trigger " alittle to fast and imbedded a wax bullet in her leg. She said it was quite a bit of blood, and the "bullet" sticking out of her leg. Nothing to serious, but she had a nice scar.

Primers are no joke. Blanks are no joke. The gasses from a blank can/will kill.

williejc
11-26-16, 08:02
Correct about gas and blanks being able to inflict wounds. I heard this recommendation to a blind person: use a .44 mag or .45 Colt handgun charged with handloaded(and stout) black powder blanks. Firing multiple shots into an attacker's chest and face at close range would disable the bad guy. That's the assumption.

travistheone
11-26-16, 10:13
wasn't there an actor who shot himself in the head with a blank gun and died?

I would imagine a wad would be harmless at 10 yards but damaging inside of that.