voiceofreason
11-21-16, 19:34
I want to use an Omega on 2 AR15s.
(it's primarily for a bolt gun)

the guns are:

-BCM mid 16"

-M&P15 Sport 2 16"

I believe both use H buffers.

Some people have said to run as they are, replace with heavier buffers, adjustable gas block, buffer spring…

I've been told multiple times the S&W M&P15 is over gassed as is…

Thoughts? Advice?

223to45
11-21-16, 20:10
I would try them as is, then see what you need to do from there.

Wouldn't worry about a bunch of mods until you see how it performs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bp7178
11-21-16, 20:25
+1. Determine if you have a problem before applying a fix.

themonk
11-21-16, 21:15
+2. See how they do

markm
11-21-16, 21:45
There is no need to assess what might be wrong. Without a doubt, get a heavier buffer. There is ZERO chance that either of these won't be running "rich". They'll probably be functional, but the bolt speed will be rough.

KalashniKEV
11-22-16, 13:15
+3 try them out.

But if you don't want to do that first... Sell the M&P and use the $$$ to buy ammo for the BCM and run an H2 at a minimum.

Pappabear
11-22-16, 15:21
There is a thread on Vltor A5 buffer right now which would be insightful. Like Mark said, it will likely run quite hot. The best upgrade you can safely do is buy and instal a Vltor A5 buffer system. But test your gun first, so you can appreciate the upgrade. Otherwise it will just seem it runs " like it is supposed to".

Not to insult you, but do you understand why you need a heavier buffer H2 / H3 or an A5 type system? If not, these guys can provide great insight. Lotta good info on this forum.

PB

voiceofreason
11-26-16, 17:02
I was advised that because the Omega is a .30 can, there should be less back pressure than with a dedicated 5.56 can.

Will be borrowing an H2 or H3 from a friend soon. I have an H already. Whichever one that is heaviest and will function reliably with .223 Wolf Gold & AE will be the one I leave on for a while.

t15
11-28-16, 23:44
my experience with the omega on 223 is only with a 22 flat end cap, but the omega was definitely adding plenty of back pressure on the 2 hosts ive used. i strongly suggest what mark said earlier and wouldnt even shoot it without an h2 buffer. h3 buffer probably will not work with the omega removed, so if youre only buying 1 buffer get the h2.

the adjustable gas blocks and A5 are definitely solid upgrades, but i wouldnt bother with those things on an M&P. something to think about if you build 1 next time. these upgrades are definitely not necessary, H2 buffer is all you need. another thing to consider is how you will be mounting the omega. it comes with the ASR locking collar and if you register it with sico online, they will send you a free muzzle adapter of your choice. they are normally 80 bucks +. i am using a direct thread mount on mine currently, but youd have to buy 1 of those.

have fun with it either way, for not a whole lot more than the cost of an h2 buffer you could buy an a5 buffer kit.

nimdabew
11-29-16, 00:43
If you buy one buffer, get the H3 and mix and match your current buffers to get the weights desired. Two H buffers and an H3 buffer will result in a net of an H2, H3, and a carbine buffer, or any other combination of buffers you can get as long as you have a roll pin punch, a hammer, and a friend who won't mind holding the buffer down while you back the roll pin out of your current buffers.

david05111
11-29-16, 01:23
In my experience, it's always best to test before making modifications. All that stuff might be a nice upgrade, but none of it is necessary IMO.

I will say that all that stuff will improve the shooting experience; i.e. tamer recoil, less gas, etc. But where you really start to see improvements with those changes is when you're throwing a lot of rounds fast, like automatic fire.

Don't go crazy until you try them first. If necessary, go to a heavier buffer like an H2 and see how that goes. The other stuff should come down the line.