PDA

View Full Version : Troy MFR-R rail... Thoughts?

FarmallM
11-21-16, 20:24
Want to float my 20 inch A2 and keep the Front sight base. I was thinking the troy might be an inexpensive option that would work. How well made is it?

Stickman
11-21-16, 21:14
The Centurion Arms C4 rail would be an upgrade that isn't too pricey.

BrigandTwoFour
11-21-16, 21:31
Also consider DD Omega 12. Easy swap without the need to remove delta ring or hand guard cap.

lawusmc0844
11-21-16, 21:32
Im a big fan of the Daniel Defense Omega rail, still using a 9" one on my mid length BCM BFH rifles. Nearly 8 years old and still works great. Looks like Daniel Defense doesn't make the 12" version anymore but heres one for a good price http://www.topgunsupply.com/daniel-defense-omega-rail-12.0-rifle.html

Benito
11-21-16, 22:10
There are other better options from companies that don't hire accomplices to murder and anti-gun apparatchik bureaucrat slimeballs.

lawusmc0844
11-21-16, 22:18
There are other better options from companies that don't hire accomplices to murder and anti-gun apparatchik bureaucrat slimeballs.

Agreed

TaterTot
11-22-16, 00:38
I have a Troy Delta rail and had a few Alphas, the barrel nut attachment method is ok and I've never had a failure. This looks like it has a better attachment method similar to the C4. But the C4 has been well used and well proven so would be a safer bet. Or for an even more secure arrangement toss something on there with a dedicated barrel nut, your going to have to remove the delta ring for either of these options so you might as well spend a few more dollars on a punch set and tap out those FSB pins to toss on something really solid. It'll take some asking around to get the right length to fit behind the FSB but the results would be worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

FarmallM
11-22-16, 12:32
How well do the Larue rails hold up? I've thought about the samson star but for the price you might as well get the larue... Can I use the KAC rail covers with it?

RobertTheTexan
11-22-16, 13:38
How well do the Larue rails hold up? I've thought about the samson star but for the price you might as well get the larue... Can I use the KAC rail covers with it?

LaRue's are solid as a rock. I have 4 on my AR's plus a Centurion C4. I agree the C4 is an excellent option, but it's not an inexpensive option either, usually I see them priced more than LaRue. I also have a Troy MRF 2 piece on a beater truck gun. It locks up very tight and uses a standard barrel nut. It's a really decent rail and I've never had any issues attaching light mounts etc. Out of all of the rails I've used, and that includes Troy VTAC and Troy Alpha, I am a die hard LaRue fan. I got the C4 before my first LaRue but since that first LaRue I have bought nothing else. They are literally as tough as nails and built like a tank. Folks will complain about weight, but I don't mind that. They complain because it hasn't been "modernized" or updated, but in my book if it ain't broke don't fix it and the LaRue rail ain't broke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrigandTwoFour
11-22-16, 16:02
IMO, we reached peak quad rail with the Centurion design if you don't mind removing the delta ring but don't want to remove the standard barrel nut.

If you don't mind replacing the barrel nut, then I think the DD options are best.

I like the Larue, it's solid and well vetted, but it is an older/heavier design if you are weight-conscious.

FarmallM
11-22-16, 21:39
Does dd still make a 12. what ever rail for a rifle with a fixed sight base?