PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6920 VS Sig M400 enhanced

danieljmaunder
11-21-16, 21:23
So,

It's time for a new AR. My previous rifle was a colt 6920 that I had to sell. I have owned several colt rifles in the past and have not had any issues. I am wanting to stay with the M4 carbine platform due to the parts and gear that I have all being for that specific variant. I know exactly what I can expect from colt out of the box, but have been looking at some m400 variants from sig recently. How does it stack up to the 6920 in reliability, accuracy, component life, etc. The main reason I am looking at it is the pinned gas block. It allows me to have a flip up front sight without needing a free float handguard. The railed gas block is taper pinned to the barrel like the colt. That's pretty much why I'm looking at it but would like some user input before pulling the trigger. They are both in the same price range, plus or minus $100

J4ggy
11-22-16, 00:40
I've had my m400 for a couple years now and it's been flawless for 2k rounds. Eats brass and steel no problem. Accuracy is good with the PRO I have. Lower has ambi mag release and built in qd slots. I picked it over the colt and haven't looked back.

jaytothekizzay
11-22-16, 19:08
Why dont you like FF handguards?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-26-16, 16:10
My personal feeling has always been to stay as close to mil spec as possible. The Colt stuff is a know quantity. I certainly can't see any reason to pay more for a SIG.

BFS
11-26-16, 19:54
I have a M400 with the pinned railed gas block, and I also have a 6920.

Sig has better barrel profile. (thicker than Colt under handguard, thinner than Colt past gas block.)

M400 ships with a carbine buffer- swap it for a H Buffer.

Sig seems gassed lighter than a Colt. Gut feeling is around a .059 gas port, but Ive never measured. Sig will cycle PMC bronze on a H2 buffer, but only just.

Colt @ .063 will slam a H2 buffer around all day.

Sig has 6 Pos RE, colt is 4 or something.

Sig RE is 7075 and has excellent staking.

Sig lower receiver has built in QD sockets and ships from factory with Ambi mag release and enhanced Bolt CAtch (VERY handy IMO)

Colt trigger is way better.

Colt BCG is superior. Its a Colt.

Sig BCG ships with standard extractor spring, with buffer and Oring. Semi auto profile carrier. Excellent staking. No markings on Bolt or carrier, so HP/MPI is unknown.

M400 shares the same barrel extension as the 516, so it inherits the extractor support pin (similar to the HK 416). Some users report the pin falling out. Dunno if it really does any harm or good.

Overall, the Sig is solid and competently assembled, and would serve you well.

But if I had to march into Mogadishu tomorrow Id grab my Colt over the Sig.

Randyjangles
11-27-16, 12:56
Another vote for the sig. I have the full fde cerakoted from the factory 2012 or 2013 build and have had zero issues with steel or brass (although I've shot very limited steel). Fit and finish is better than the colt and the features mentioned above are very nice. Upper lower fitment on mine is one of the best which could vary I guess. Accuracy is very good with my aimpoint. Can't go wrong with the colt and I'm sure most people on here will say colt.

Iraqgunz
11-27-16, 14:48
The Sig carbines I measured had ports that were at least .063. Several of them were .066-.068.

I have a M400 with the pinned railed gas block, and I also have a 6920.

Sig has better barrel profile. (thicker than Colt under handguard, thinner than Colt past gas block.)

M400 ships with a carbine buffer- swap it for a H Buffer.

Sig seems gassed lighter than a Colt. Gut feeling is around a .059 gas port, but Ive never measured. Sig will cycle PMC bronze on a H2 buffer, but only just.

Colt @ .063 will slam a H2 buffer around all day.

Sig has 6 Pos RE, colt is 4 or something.

Sig RE is 7075 and has excellent staking.

Sig lower receiver has built in QD sockets and ships from factory with Ambi mag release and enhanced Bolt CAtch (VERY handy IMO)

Colt trigger is way better.

Colt BCG is superior. Its a Colt.

Sig BCG ships with standard extractor spring, with buffer and Oring. Semi auto profile carrier. Excellent staking. No markings on Bolt or carrier, so HP/MPI is unknown.

M400 shares the same barrel extension as the 516, so it inherits the extractor support pin (similar to the HK 416). Some users report the pin falling out. Dunno if it really does any harm or good.

Overall, the Sig is solid and competently assembled, and would serve you well.

But if I had to march into Mogadishu tomorrow Id grab my Colt over the Sig.

BFS
11-27-16, 19:29
The Sig carbines I measured had ports that were at least .063. Several of them were .066-.068.

Mine is a sample of one. I've never shot (or even seen in person for that matter) another M400.

I have no reason to doubt you. But mine will b a r e l y lock back on last round, and ejection is pretty limp with a H2 buffer. Runs about perfect with a H buffer.

Chances are the spec and barrel OEM has changed several times over the years. What I can say is the Sig is definitely not gassed as hot as my Colt.

Also worth noting- my sample has experienced popped primers on a hot day with NATO spec ammo. I suspect the chamber might not true 5.56, or perhaps on the tight end of spec. Or perhaps i had a bad box of ammo. It only happed with one box. Twenty seconds with Neds tool would probably fix it up real good, but I don't care enough to bother with it. It's not a go-to rifle for me.

Also relevant to the thread- the LPKs on the 516 and M400 are made in India now. Real bummer for me. They used to be made here by Philips Medisize. But I recently ordered an enhanced bolt catch and ambi mag release from Sig for another build (because I liked them so much)- they arrived in retail Sig packaging with "Made in India" on the front.

I'm sure the quality is fine. Just kinda disappointed. I wonder just how many other companies don't actually use US made parts.

ST911
11-27-16, 19:47
I posted a review of a sample M400 in 2012: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?114672-WHAT-S-SHIPPING-Detailed-Look-at-the-Sigarms-M400

Since that post a stack of ~50 guns have been performing well and experienced no noteworthy issues. Other Sigs of the type I've seen have been similarly fine. I don't recall if any were the "enhanced" variant OP is asking about. Overall, I'd consider the basic M400 and variants using it as a core to be a viable option.

BFS
11-28-16, 19:27

trky chsr
02-07-17, 20:15
Looking at getting into an AR again and I'm debating between an LE6920 and a Sig M400 Enhanced. Any thoughts on one being a better rifle than the other? It will be a casual use rifle which I probably won't shoot more than 1K rnds through in a year. TC

jstalford
02-07-17, 20:22
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:m4carbine.net+m400+6920&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VARIABLE9
02-07-17, 20:38
Can't go wrong with the Colt.

JDR556
02-07-17, 20:45
Deleted

Mr. Goodtimes
02-07-17, 20:52
There is no "vs." Colt.

trky chsr
02-07-17, 23:09
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:m4carbine.net+m400+6920&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Thanks for the link. I guess in hind sight I should have done that first. It looks like the 6920 is the clear winner in these circles although there is no clear indication why outside of the BCG and the buffer. Since I can get a OEM-1 and Magpul furniture for the same price roughly as the Sig I'll probably go with the Colt, thanks. TC

Bret
07-30-17, 19:57
I don't have harsh real world experience with either, but the price of both is just incredible right now. I recently put together a new Colt OEM-1 with Magpul furniture for under $700 total. Yesterday, I bought a new Sig M400 with the green Magpul stock set for $642 out the door. If you're left handed, I'd say that the M400 is it.

Iraqgunz
07-30-17, 20:54
In case you missed it, the OP was back in 2016. The last post in regards to selecting a carbine was 6 months ago and that person hasn't been back since. Chances are he already got what he needed.

I don't have harsh real world experience with either, but the price of both is just incredible right now. I recently put together a new Colt OEM-1 with Magpul furniture for under $700 total. Yesterday, I bought a new Sig M400 with the green Magpul stock set for $642 out the door. If you're left handed, I'd say that the M400 is it.

Bret
07-30-17, 22:33
Yep, missed that because I don't check the posting history of people before I reply. Just found the title interesting because he's wanting to choose between the two which are historically inexpensive.

Junkie
07-31-17, 09:59
There was no need to look at the post history, just the date that the first post was (november) and the date of the most recent post in this thread (february)

Bret
07-31-17, 10:06
Sure, saw that. It's just that the market for both has apparently dropped further, so anyone interested in this comparison might appreciate updated information.