PDA

View Full Version : New Armalite (ordered before I found this site)

altramagnus
09-13-08, 18:01
Ok guys I ordered their M4 carbine 1 1/2 weeks ago (waiting on paperwork Maryland) but this was before I found this site.

I just wanted to say thanks to Grant and Rob for all their informative posts on what look for and what to replace/upgrade to make it a worthy AR.

I bought the Armalite because of always hearing they were a great firearm growing up (I'm 35 now :) ). I now realize they are put together by cutting some corners.

Honestly just doing the typical upgrades: Staking gas keys, castle nut,BCG & extractor spring assembly will make all the Armalite short comings go away????

Is the rifle decent other then those typical flaws?

Great site guys and I like the fact that this place lack all the BS ar15.com seems to have. I have been a member there for quite sometime but don't really post a whole lot and realize now I should take most of what is said there with a grain of salt.

Hats off to everyone here.

Glad to be here ( should have my Armalite in another week)

Shawn

MX5
09-13-08, 18:04
Depending on your usage, the Armalite should be just fine. Enjoy your AR.

C4IGrant
09-13-08, 20:11
Ok guys I ordered their M4 carbine 1 1/2 weeks ago (waiting on paperwork Maryland) but this was before I found this site.

I just wanted to say thanks to Grant and Rob for all their informative posts on what look for and what to replace/upgrade to make it a worthy AR.

I bought the Armalite because of always hearing they were a great firearm growing up (I'm 35 now :) ). I now realize they are put together by cutting some corners.

Honestly just doing the typical upgrades: Staking gas keys, castle nut,BCG & extractor spring assembly will make all the Armalite short comings go away????

Is the rifle decent other then those typical flaws?

Great site guys and I like the fact that this place lack all the BS ar15.com seems to have. I have been a member there for quite sometime but don't really post a whole lot and realize now I should take most of what is said there with a grain of salt.

Hats off to everyone here.

Glad to be here ( should have my Armalite in another week)

Shawn

Check the gas key staking job and just go out and have fun with it.

C4

vaspence
09-13-08, 22:50
It's a great gun for the price. I had two of the M4's (16" midlength) and they were fine. Ran one through a Pat Rogers class with only three issues, all remedied by Mike H. in about ten minutes. Mine was a very accurate gun with 55 grain ammo. I would recommend checking the following:
extractor spring
gas rings
buffer spring

Mine was a brand new upper w/ bcg with about 400 rounds through it and the gas rings were shot or out of spec. Buffer spring also shorter than a stock buffer spring, approximately an inch. Once replaced no more issues and it is a reliable gun. Sold it to a buddy and he is running it with no problems.

altramagnus
09-14-08, 06:15
Thanks guys appreciate the replys.

As for what it will be used for well I would like to train with it (Wish MD had a decent place to do so), have it for my SHTF rifle (if ever need be) and just have fun with it. With that being said I want it to be a reliable rifle, I don't believe in having any of my gear fall into the category of (It will do ok for now) I want it to be up to par for anything it gets or may get put through.

I will inspect everything when it arrives and will post up my findings and pics.

Again thanks for the great site and info. Just figured it was time to say hello, I'll be around.

Shawn

rob_s
09-14-08, 07:25
Just use this thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376) to go through it and check everything out.

If you're like most of us, this won't be your last one, and you can use what you learn on this one to better inform your next purchase. :D

altramagnus
09-14-08, 07:31
Just use this thread (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376) to go through it and check everything out.

If you're like most of us, this won't be your last one, and you can use what you learn on this one to better inform your next purchase. :D

Thanks and will do :)

Won't be my last that's for sure.

Shawn

jasonb
09-14-08, 23:27
YOu could have done much worse than ending up with an Armalite.

SV650Squid
09-15-08, 10:53
What shop in MD did you buy it from?

altramagnus
09-15-08, 12:51
What shop in MD did you buy it from?

Use to go down to "The Gun Shop" in Essex MD but not dealing with them anymore due to a few issues with not trying to hunt down what you want (If they cannot get it from their 2 distributors then your out of luck) and having something sold out from under me once.

I went to a shop in Westminster on recommendation of a friend. Forgot the name. I have his card in my car I will get it when I take 5 and smoke a cig.

Trading post something or other

Shawn

altramagnus
09-15-08, 16:45
Sorry bro work didn't let me step out.

Home now with his card :)

Brownstone Trading Co.

2029 N Old Bachman Valley Rd
Westminster, MD 21157
410-876-6595

Great guy, place looks like a uncleaned barn be warned LOL.

Shawn

altramagnus
09-15-08, 16:51
Oh BTW can I just tell you guys this wait is KILLING ME!!!!!!!!:D

Shawn

scottryan
09-15-08, 20:45
Use to go down to "The Gun Shop" in Essex MD but not dealing with them anymore due to a few issues with not trying to hunt down what you want (If they cannot get it from their 2 distributors then your out of luck)

A gun dealer cannot "hunt anything down" just because he is a dealer.

You have the same chance as him to find something he doesn't have by looking in both printed and electronic ads.

He will not waste his time with this, nor should he.

rob_s
09-15-08, 21:09
That's not entirely true.

When I was selling guns we often had to call 2, 3, maybe even 5 distributors to find a gun that a customer wanted. We generally started with the ones we knew would give us, and therefore the buyer, the best price and worked our way up. I did, however, work with some people that would call RSR and Lew's and stop there and I have been in other shops where they do the same.

We very often had to "hunt down" new or otherwise rare firearms at various distributors. When the Steyr Scout came out, for example, we had a customer that was desperate for one and we called around for a couple of weeks putting out feelers and hunting one down.

altramagnus
09-16-08, 03:31
By hunting down I don't mean trying to find something for weeks for a customer just trying in general.

Only calling your normal 2 distributors is crazy, you know how many manufactures of firearms you cannot get from them because their 2 distributors don't carry a whole lot???

I originally wanted a Stag (before I found this forum) and their response was "Stag what the hell is that?" called their 2 and nope.

Just 1 example.

Anyway the new shop will continue to get my business, when trying to order my rifle he called 5 places without even asking me.

Customer service is what it's all about.

Shawn

altramagnus
09-16-08, 03:35
He will not waste his time with this, nor should he.

So he should not try to make money off of you? He should let you go up the street and give your money to someone else because he is to lazy to call a few other places?

I'm not talking about hard to find firearms here.

Your opinion and I respect that but don't agree at all.

Shawn

wahoo95
09-16-08, 07:36
That shop may not have the credit to buy from anyone else....may have burned some bridges in the past. OR, they simply don't have the volume to buy from any other distributers at a price that would allow them to offer you a fair price. Point is there's often more to it than meets the eye.

altramagnus
09-16-08, 07:40
That shop may not have the credit to buy from anyone else....may have burned some bridges in the past. OR, they simply don't have the volume to buy from any other distributers at a price that would allow them to offer you a fair price. Point is there's often more to it than meets the eye.

Very true but I must say price was never part of the issue or conversation with them. They won't call anyone else regardless, the customer is just very limited on what they can get from them.

Sure anyone would like the best price but this isn't a price issue. If they don't have the volume it is because they lost a lot fo customers due to this. I know of quite a few folks who stopped going there because of this.

Anyway I don't knock anyone for buying from them (to each their own) just stating why I bought mine where I did is all.

Shawn

rob_s
09-16-08, 07:55
Yes, there is often more to things than meets the eye, but after working in the firearms retail business it's generally simple greed on the part of a business owner (and a complete lack of understanding that some business is better than no business, and the concept of the return customer) and laziness and ineptitude on the part of his employees.

Ultimately, whether they can't deal with other distributors or won't deal with other distributors is immaterial as the net result is that they are pretty useless.

altramagnus
09-16-08, 08:24
Yes, there is often more to things than meets the eye, but after working in the firearms retail business it's generally simple greed on the part of a business owner (and a complete lack of understanding that some business is better than no business, and the concept of the return customer) and laziness and ineptitude on the part of his employees.

Ultimately, whether they can't deal with other distributors or won't deal with other distributors is immaterial as the net result is that they are pretty useless.

Agreed

Funny thing is I purchased most of my collection from them throughout the years until I got fed up.

So that also contributed to my decision to leave and they don't care.

Shawn

All of this still doesn't change the fact this wait is driving me nutz!!!!!!

HAMMERDROP
09-16-08, 14:51
What, you think you are an exception ? You have to be losing sleep as well, you must also drive your other half just as nuts fidgeting and tossing and turning all night talking in your sleep about hi-cap mags -LOL but you know what? The day after you get your rig, you will start a much more nerve wracking experience - UPGRADES !
I told my wife I just want one AR to keep in the safe, in case ... 3 carbines later and many thousands of dollars later ... I cannot upgrade any further - true bummer.

Michael

altramagnus
09-16-08, 16:19
What, you think you are an exception ? You have to be losing sleep as well, you must also drive your other half just as nuts fidgeting and tossing and turning all night talking in your sleep about hi-cap mags -LOL but you know what? The day after you get your rig, you will start a much more nerve wracking experience - UPGRADES !
I told my wife I just want one AR to keep in the safe, in case ... 3 carbines later and many thousands of dollars later ... I cannot upgrade any further - true bummer.

Michael

HAHA you know it brother, my wife told me this was it for the year since it's #4 for firearms.

She did however make the mistake of saying I could finish upgrading the AR :)

Shawn

HAMMERDROP
09-16-08, 18:05
I doubt it, wifes dont make mistakes like that she really said ' new lawn furniture' ...

Michael

altramagnus
10-12-08, 10:22
Ok I finally have the rifle. I will snap some pics of it as soon as I get a chance to do so.

Question for you guys.

I know about the chart but it shows stats for only 1 Armalite model, do all their rifles meet those same stats???

Do all Armalites come with Milspec buffer tubes?

Also one more dumb question from a ar new guy. Are the flash hiders pinned?

Thanks for your help everyone.

Shawn

sinister
10-12-08, 10:27
The closest places for you to get training will probably be Fredericksburg, VA, and Storm Mountain near Keyser, WV.

Good luck. Your Armalite should make you very happy.

C4IGrant
10-12-08, 11:00
Ok I finally have the rifle. I will snap some pics of it as soon as I get a chance to do so.

Question for you guys.

I know about the chart but it shows stats for only 1 Armalite model, do all their rifles meet those same stats???

Do all Armalites come with Milspec buffer tubes?

Also one more dumb question from a ar new guy. Are the flash hiders pinned?

Thanks for your help everyone.

Shawn

Yes, they are going to be pretty much all the same.

The Receiver Extension should be mil-spec and the FS should not be pinned.

C4

altramagnus
10-12-08, 12:13
Thank you Grant.

Shawn