PDA

View Full Version : Which of these Remington 700's is the best value?

jrcii
11-24-16, 16:56
Hello all,

With the current sales and the rebate, I'm thinking of picking up my first bolt action rifle. Some form of Remington 700 in 30-06. I don't hunt, so it's just going to punch paper unless society crumbles :) in which case it will hopefully help get food.

I have plans on building out a precision rifle in 300 win mag later down the road, so, I'm looking for a good value in this rifle. Here is what I've been able to find (like I said, all in 30-06):

$370 700 ADL (with cheap 3-9 scope)
$455 700 SPS
$520 700 SPS threaded
$555 700 SPS Stainless Steel
$620 700 CDL
$650 700 BDL

In your opinion, which of these represents the best value for the money?

Thanks for you advice,

JRC

Kdubya
11-27-16, 09:53
For your first bolt gun, and with the plan to build one down the road, I'd go with the ADL. A while back Cabela's had the ADL, without the scope, for $299 after a $50 rebate. I couldn't pass it up, and have been very pleased. Frankly, my main reason for purchasing the rifle was to use the Action for a precision build; as it was less expensive than buying only the Action. I was pleasantly surprised with how well it shoots. It can churn out MOA, or better, groupings all day long if I do my part. It shoots so well, that I've put the plan to blueprint the action and use it for a custom build on hold.

For your purposes, it'd be an excellent choice. It's more than adequate in the accuracy department, and won't break the bank. Use the money saved for glass, ammo and practice. It'll be a great platform to learn on, and there are tons of upgrades that can be made if you want to squeeze out some more accuracy.

jrcii
11-29-16, 09:57
That makes a lot of sense.

Thanks sir.

For your first bolt gun, and with the plan to build one down the road, I'd go with the ADL. A while back Cabela's had the ADL, without the scope, for $299 after a $50 rebate. I couldn't pass it up, and have been very pleased. Frankly, my main reason for purchasing the rifle was to use the Action for a precision build; as it was less expensive than buying only the Action. I was pleasantly surprised with how well it shoots. It can churn out MOA, or better, groupings all day long if I do my part. It shoots so well, that I've put the plan to blueprint the action and use it for a custom build on hold.

For your purposes, it'd be an excellent choice. It's more than adequate in the accuracy department, and won't break the bank. Use the money saved for glass, ammo and practice. It'll be a great platform to learn on, and there are tons of upgrades that can be made if you want to squeeze out some more accuracy.