PDA

View Full Version : Issue acquiring chevron at night with TA31

Eurodriver
11-24-16, 20:38
If I am out in the pitch black outdoors shooting at targets in an illuminated area depending on the lighting color (white or yellow) and other factors it will entirely wash out the chevron. It's impossible to use the BAC because the chevron isn't bright enough to be picked up in your strong eye. Even when your weak eye is closed and you're trying to find it it is tough.

I remember AlaskaPopo touching on this a few years ago as his reason for running Aimpoints, but as someone who is heavily invested in ACOGs ($$$, training, etc) that kind of sucks. Plus the magnification and BDC are nice.

Is there a way to rectify this aside from going IR laser and NV or using a bright ass white light? I've noticed using a WL will turn the chevron black and at least allow you to see it but the WL reaches only So far.

steyrman13
11-24-16, 21:32
You can use duct tape and tape a miniature glow stick to the fiber optic.

Singlestack Wonder
11-25-16, 09:32
This is a known issue with the acog. In low light situations (where ambient light is present but not ntense enough to fully illuminate the reticle) the tritium is not powerful enough to illuminate the reticle. Same issue happens when shooting from a dark area into a highly lit area, the reticle goes black and is difficult to see. While the light stick suggestion would work, depending on how dark it is, it could cause the reticle to bloom. Of course any reticle is better than no reticle. In a shtf situation in low light, the light stick would give away your position.

Personally I've relegated my acogs to daylight use only.

Eurodriver
11-25-16, 13:08
Thanks for the tips. I've heard about the glow stick before, but it's a little impractical for what I'm doing. I guess I'll just have to live with it or sell off all my ACOGs for T2s.

Personally I've relegated my acogs to daylight use only.

How do you avoid night-time home invasions?

Singlestack Wonder
11-25-16, 14:21
Thanks for the tips. I've heard about the glow stick before, but it's a little impractical for what I'm doing. I guess I'll just have to live with it or sell off all my ACOGs for T2s.

How do you avoid night-time home invasions?

Aimpoint

On another note, Trijicon finally "got it" and started producing LED versions of the ACOGS....

Furbyballer
11-25-16, 17:15
Yeah, I would look into one of their LED models or swap to an aimpoint and magnifier combo.