PDA

View Full Version : Noticed difference between 9mm and 45acp

ubet
11-26-16, 08:26
As a day after thanksgiving tradition my cousins and I went and expelled some ammo. They had all 9mm or 40sw. One wanted to see if he could hit the gong with a 9mm glock at 100yds. The going was a manhole cover, so however big those are. So I spotted for him. The interesting was even shooting fmj I couldn't hear the impacts through my ear pro. That's how light the impact was.

I know everyone loves 9mm anymore and totes that it has the same power as a 45acp and ballisticly you can't tell the difference. When I tried with my trp operator, I could hear the impacts with 230gr jhp rainier bullets. They even mentioned how noticeable the report of the impacts were.

I hit the target with the first round, and stayed on target with only one miss, 3 shots rested 5 shots standing. After being able to hear the reports, and being able to stay on target like that it continued to sell me on 45 and was interesting enough I thought others might like to hear.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

williejc
11-26-16, 09:19
Ballistic tables may reveal that the 230 gr .45 ACP used has a higher energy level at 100 yards than does the 9mm load fired at the "gong". The .45ACP is a wonderful cartridge to reload for and shoot. It operates at much lower pressures than the 9mm Luger and can be considered more efficient from this standpoint. Everybody needs a .45.

Bimmer
11-26-16, 19:07
I hit the target with the first round, and stayed on target with only one miss, 3 shots rested 5 shots standing.

This is the impressive part.

I bet you shoot/practice a lot more than your cousins...

rjacobs
11-26-16, 20:10
I know everyone loves 9mm anymore and totes that it has the same power as a 45acp and ballisticly you can't tell the difference.

Terminal ballistics and external ballistics are two completely different things.

Terminally, with modern JHP ammo, in flesh, they are going to be close in wounding potential, so says the data from various tests.

Ballistically, a 45 thats twice as heavy as a 9mm, is going to ALWAYS have more energy, especially at distance, and especially at distances where both are starting to slow way down, so yea, on steel, the 45 will have more energy due to its heavier weight hitting the steel.

Its kind of like the same argument going on in the thread with the guy asking for a cartridge for 1 mile shooting. 6.5 creedmore gets there ok, but it doesnt have a ton of energy left, and wont make much noise on steel. 338LM also gets there, but has a lot more ass behind it once it gets out there to actually have wounding potential. From the barrel they both are moving ~3000fps. The 6.5cm is pushing ~140grains where as the 338lm is pushing 300grains. Kinetic energy and newtons law and all that.

There is way more to the discussion/argument than "45 is louder on steel so it must be better than 9mm".

Hayseed
11-26-16, 21:55
This seems like a literal "cool story bro."

There is tons of real, scientific data about 45 vs 9 etc etc. The perceived sound report at 100 yard is not the most scientific experiment, sorry.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

opngrnd
11-26-16, 22:34
BLUF: Modern ammo has made the difference between 9mm and 45acp a moot point concerning terminal ballistics.

But I can see why the OP would notice the difference. I've seen 3Gun stages where 9mm pistols barely tip steel targets but 45 "sends it flying!" Someone will almost always comment on "knockdown power", as well. (Our 3Gun shoots run from guys bringing hunting gearto shoot for fun, to off duty offivers bringing duty type gear, to guys who are sponsored.)

ubet
11-27-16, 08:07
Hey, I couldn't honestly care less what someone carries or doesn't carry it affects me in no way at all. As long as you practice with it, are safe and comfortable with it I don't care.

I just thought it was interesting to see the actual results of two rounds side by side and notice that much difference at that distance.

ubet
11-27-16, 08:10
This seems like a literal "cool story bro."

There is tons of real, scientific data about 45 vs 9 etc etc. The perceived sound report at 100 yard is not the most scientific experiment, sorry.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Sorry I don't have an expensive lab to do scientific tests in as you aparantely do. Next time I post something I'll be sure to ask you first if it's relevant enough that it receives your approval to post.

ubet
11-27-16, 08:12
This is the impressive part.

I bet you shoot/practice a lot more than your cousins...
Not impressive, just lucky but thank you. I don't know how much trigger time they get, I unfortunately only see them once a year for about half of a day.