PDA

View Full Version : Ever caught a Glock while fishing?

Feline
11-28-16, 08:17
What are the odds? What is the prudent thing to do with it? I bet Glock would re-finish it for free, given their excellent CS.

An Oakland, California-based hand crafted fishing lure company was sent a picture by one of their customers of an interesting polymer framed catch of the day.

http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Fishing.lure_.lucks_.up_.with_.Glock_.27.recovery.from_.the_.depths-1.jpg

http://www.guns.com/2016/11/22/fishing-lure-lucks-up-with-used-glock-27-recovery-from-the-depths/

Lefty223
11-28-16, 08:30
It could have been used in a crime, so I would present it to Law Enforcement, but would insist on a receipt.

Once whilst hiking I found a loaded Ruger SR9C handgun in a Fobus paddle holster in the middle on NO WHERE in northern NH, not far from the Canadian border. Turns out that a woman dropped it while hiking herself, when she stepped off the trail to pee. When asked "How I found it or saw it?", the answer was simple ... nothing out there in those woods were as solid BLACK as that handgun and holster - it just wasn't natural. I didn't see the 'gun' - just the SOLID color, from about 30' away and I knew right off that it wasn't natural.

Had she not reported it 'lost', I was told it would have been turned over to me after 60-days, if I recall the timing correctly. The funny part of the story is that neither the local Police nor State Police wanted anything to do with it ... they made me wait hours until a Wildlife/Fish & Game Officer took possession of it. Ahhhhh well, it was a long Holiday weekend and apparently no one wanted the hassle of the paperwork!

I have also found the remnants of 2 guns while out hunting, one what probably was a nice side-by-side 410 shotgun that some kid left next propped up to a tree, this in VT. The other is the buttstock to wrist and a 2' section of the upper forend of a longrifle, presumably a southern 'poor boy' type, looking at the architecture. This also found in NH.

eightmillimeter
11-28-16, 08:54
While doing an annual river clean up a friend of mine found an old Brazilian-made 38 revolver that looked like an old M&P clone. It was buried in the mud about 30 yards from the front gate of the local PD range. I'm guessing someone had a bad day and chucked it into the river back in the day. He used electronic cleaning and refinished it and shoots it to this day.

Dump1567
11-28-16, 09:40
my buddy bought a gun box from a thrift store for a few bucks. Unknown to the thrift store, it had a Beretta 92 in it. It was in CA, so my buddy was able to track down the registered owner. Seems it was in a storage locker and sold off without the owners knowledge.

dentron
11-28-16, 09:49
Id keep it and fix it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

bear13
11-28-16, 10:39
Id keep it and fix it.

That is brave. I would be nervous it shot someone. They find that in your possession, bad news.

Feline
11-28-16, 12:22
Id keep it and fix it.

IANAL, but many states and counties require that you turn in your "finds."

Perhaps the fisherman should have thrown it back, come back a year later, and fished for a G23, or even a G22...:jester:

titsonritz
11-28-16, 12:34
Oakland? Yeah, I'd put my money on a murder weapon.

Digital_Damage
11-28-16, 13:25
Some one took the "it fell of my boat" a little too literal.

dentron
11-28-16, 13:35
That is brave. I would be nervous it shot someone. They find that in your possession, bad news.
Have you ever been stopped at a range or private property and had the SNs ran on your guns? I havent.
IF somehow LE did come to question me about it, i found it fishing. I would have pics, date, witnesses to corroborate my story and NO other evidence linking me to a crime. I would give a statement and surrender the firearm. Thats about all i can see happening, and thats a VERY big "if".

dentron
11-28-16, 13:36
IANAL, but many states and counties require that you turn in your "finds."

Perhaps the fisherman should have thrown it back, come back a year later, and fished for a G23, or even a G22...:jester:
That could be the case. Im no lawyer either, but i have never heard a law requiring that. In in Texas btw.

TMS951
11-28-16, 13:38
Most people lose guns on a fishing trip not find them...

darr3239
11-28-16, 13:46
The issue isn't if you might be caught with it.

If someone I knew was the victim of a firearms related crime, where the suspect was still outstanding, I'd sure want the finder of the weapon to report it to the police. It may be the only link to potentially identify the shooter.

Digital_Damage
11-28-16, 14:20
Have you ever been stopped at a range or private property and had the SNs ran on your guns? I havent.
IF somehow LE did come to question me about it, i found it fishing. I would have pics, date, witnesses to corroborate my story and NO other evidence linking me to a crime. I would give a statement and surrender the firearm. Thats about all i can see happening, and thats a VERY big "if".

WTF...

You would be totally cool with a potential murder going unsolved just so you could keep it?

bear13
11-28-16, 14:25
WTF...

You would be totally cool with a potential murder going unsolved just so you could keep it?

Yeah, I think this is crazy. Why, I mean seriously why would this be worth keeping? It is a frikin Glock. Unless you want a unregistered pistol for some shady business. There are entirely too many ifs. Best points made were simply that you could help put away a killer.

daniel87
11-28-16, 14:38
Id turn it in.

Then tell glock about it ask them to inspect it.

To them it probably help determine how their guns are after adverse conditions.

Then you buy a new barrel for 50

Problem solved

New gun $50

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Feline
11-28-16, 14:41
Id turn it in.

Then tell glock about it ask them to inspect it.

To them it probably help determine how their guns are after adverse conditions.

Then you buy a new barrel for 50

Problem solved

New gun $50

You may have to replace multiple parts in that G27, assuming of course that the rails are still good...

daniel87
11-28-16, 14:44
You may have to replace multiple parts in that G27, assuming of course that the rails are still good...
I know.

Its still amazing its in that shape.

daniel87
11-28-16, 14:46
Looking at those sights. Its probably lost.

Crimminals dont upgrade sights
Unless it was stolen that way.

dentron
11-28-16, 14:47
I think this is being blown out of proportion. if i fished up a rusty glock i would toss it up to someone dropped their piece while fishing. sure it could be some missing link to a crime or something but it looks like someones ccw to me, sub compact glock, and i wouldnt be on a criminal putting aftermarket sights on their pistol, I guess it could be stolen then used in a crime, though. Now if it was a hi point..

I guess its just a difference in opinion. You may find a glock and think you just helped solve the mystery of the midnight robber. Me, i think damn that sucks for whoever dropped this, wonder if it still fires.

Mysteryman
11-28-16, 15:35
WTF...

Explain how a rusted pistol could be linked to a murderer? Ballistics might tie the gun to a crime but not the person involved. Any fingerprints would have been long dissolved in salt water.

Yeah, I think this is crazy. Why, I mean seriously why would this be worth keeping? It is a frikin Glock. Unless you want a unregistered pistol for some shady business. There are entirely too many ifs. Best points made were simply that you could help put away a killer.

Unregistered? Since when were pistols registered in the US? (excuse my ignorance, I'm Canadian and not well versed on US firearms law).

Leaveammoforme
11-28-16, 15:51
Explain how a rusted pistol could be linked to a murderer? Ballistics might tie the gun to a crime but not the person involved. Any fingerprints would have been long dissolved in salt water.

Simple scenario that comes to mind;

Use registered pistol , or otherwise known to be in a persons possession, in a crime. Quickly report pistol lost or stolen after throwing it in a lake.

Unregistered? Since when were pistols registered in the US? (excuse my ignorance, I'm Canadian and not well versed on US firearms law).

A found pistol is not magically registered to the person who discovered it.

Hart
11-28-16, 16:57
Probably a damn boat anchor and lost it.....

bear13
11-28-16, 17:49

I have to register my pistol with my local law enforcement. I still can not understand the logic of keeping the damn thing without proper investigation. No one is saying it will solve a cold crime, what is being said is that why take a chance getting caught with your pants down for a glock found in a lake. Not some war relic or collectors firearm. Call the local leo tell them whats up. If you can keep it cool, if not you did your part to helping society by not being a dirtbag. We have enough of them.

That was a Dick comment. But I am just tired of the way everyone acts nowadays. We need get back to trying to help each other out. Not constantly trying to quick scheme ahead of others. We are in this community together. I would feel like a real big moron if I lost my stuff, but I sure would appreciate someone doing the right thing.

sidewaysil80
11-28-16, 18:51
I would just turn it in and explain where you found it. Police will run it in NCIC and see if it was reported lost or stolen. Maybe if it [unlikely] matches caliber or type of firearm used in an unsolved crime they could request a trace from the ATF which will take several days and tell them what FFL it last went through. Ultimately you'll get it back and have gotten a free gun. BUT at least you know you'll have done the decent thing and tried your best to ensure it wasn't tossed insidiously. Thats what I would do at least.

Feline
11-28-16, 19:46
If Amerika had gun registration, most traces would lead to the legal owner. Much gun violence would be solved if gun registration was in place.

sidewaysil80
11-28-16, 20:18
If America had gun registration, most traces would lead to the legal owner. Much gun violence would be solved if gun registration was in place.

NTC can trace it to the last person who purchased from an FFL without registration. NCIC is the searchabfederal database where make/model/caliber/serial number are input from Police reports of lost/stolen firearms and other property.

Regardless, it likely can be returned to its lawful owner if it was reported lost/stolen.

Feline
11-28-16, 20:25
NTC can trace it to the last person who purchased from an FFL without registration. NCIC is the searchabfederal database where make/model/caliber/serial number are input from Police reports of lost/stolen firearms and other property.

Regardless, it likely can be returned to its lawful owner if it was reported lost/stolen.

You're entirely correct, except for the fact that private party transfers w/out BCs are legal in most states, and most states do not require reporting of lost or stolen guns, which means that the government in most cases has no clue who the legal owner is. With registration, each gun is matched to an individual. Nationwide registration would do great things to prevent gun violence, including suicides, and solve gun crimes.

sidewaysil80
11-28-16, 20:28
You're entirely correct, except for the fact that private party transfers w/out BCs are legal in most states, and most states do not require reporting of lost or stolen guns, which means that the government in most cases has no clue who the legal owner is. With registration, each gun is matched to an individual. Nationwide registration would do great things to prevent gun violence, including suicides, and solve gun crimes.

How did that work out for Australia? If nothing else forcing people to register firearms would be considered by any prudent person to be a infringement. Fortunately we know how our founding fathers felt about that in regards to the Second Ammendment.

Feline
11-28-16, 21:01
How did that work out for Australia? If nothing else forcing people to register firearms would be considered by any prudent person to be a infringement. Fortunately we know how our founding fathers felt about that in regards to the Second Ammendment.

Registration of all firearms does not constitute a violation of the 2A. Nor is a ban of hi-cap mags and AWs unconstitutional. As much can be inferred from recent SCOTUS decisions.

As to the Australian buy-back, a well-cited study found a 59% reduction in the firearm homicide rate, and a 65% reduction in the firearm suicide rate.

Leaveammoforme
11-28-16, 21:34
Registration of all firearms does not constitute a violation of the 2A. Nor is a ban of hi-cap mags and AWs unconstitutional. As much can be inferred from recent SCOTUS decisions.

How's the DU doing? Didn't you guys get hacked?

As to the Australian buy-back, a well-cited study found a 59% reduction in the firearm homicide rate, and a 65% reduction in the firearm suicide rate.

You forgot to bold what rate was reduced. I fixed it for you.

Feline
11-28-16, 21:40

I don't want to stray too far off-topic, but clearly you must agree that there are limitations to the 2A, just as there are limitations to other BORs.

_Stormin_
11-28-16, 21:46
I don't want to stray too far off-topic, but clearly you must agree that there are limitations to the 2A, just as there are limitations to other BORs.
There are. I am currently incapable of purchasing a nuclear weapon, even though it says that my right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

I have a feeling that you're going to last a really long time around here if you're arguments are for national firearms registration in the US, 30 posts into your tenure...

Leaveammoforme
11-28-16, 21:48
I can think of only one amendment that contains the phrase Shall not be infringed. Doesn't say Shouldn't be...

So you agree that a means of freedom of speech should be restricted to type writers? I mean, gee, the founding fathers couldn't have foreseen the internet.

Gombey
11-28-16, 22:31
feinstein?! That you girl? What you doin on a gun forum?!

Back on topic...I'd turn it in. I'm sure it'd be mine in a few days.

Joe R.
11-28-16, 23:49
I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV. I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

However I can say after nearly 30 years in law enforcement that if I found a gun while fishing I would turn it in to the local authorities. What's the sense of running into potential problems. If the gun was stolen, used in a crime, or just lost and it somehow comes to light that it is in your possession do you really want the attention that a potential investigation might bring? I certainly don't. As previously stated, it's the right thing to do and who knows it may just clear a case, whether a crime or simple lost firearm.

prdubi
11-29-16, 00:32
bah.....I'd turn it in...but if it was a war relic , I would have maybe kept it.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

eightmillimeter
11-29-16, 02:45

Negative. Under the current system, the gun can only be "traced" to the original purchaser when the gun was new, it doesn't matter at all how many times it's been transferred through a dealer/4473 after that.

I have to explain this almost weekly to people who use my FFL to facilitate a private transfer because they for some reason believe that will get the gun "out of their name." The number of gun purchasers who believe that 4473's are some kind of government registration is staggering.

Mysteryman
11-29-16, 04:45
I have to register my pistol with my local law enforcement. I still can not understand the logic of keeping the damn thing without proper investigation. No one is saying it will solve a cold crime, what is being said is that why take a chance getting caught with your pants down for a glock found in a lake. Not some war relic or collectors firearm. Call the local leo tell them whats up. If you can keep it cool, if not you did your part to helping society by not being a dirtbag. We have enough of them.

That was a Dick comment. But I am just tired of the way everyone acts nowadays. We need get back to trying to help each other out. Not constantly trying to quick scheme ahead of others. We are in this community together. I would feel like a real big moron if I lost my stuff, but I sure would appreciate someone doing the right thing.

I fully agree and would wait and see if the rightful owner was found. I was simply questioning the "registered gun" comments from others. No harm no foul in your comment/post, I like it straight off the cuff no bullshit. ;)

ICANHITHIMMAN
11-29-16, 04:47
Turn it in, don't turn it in, looking for moral advice on the internet is rediculious. I'm supprised this has not been locked or deleted. Also, to the OP, why are you on a site such as this with beliefs and opinions such as that, perhaps I failed to read into your sarcasm. Any gun law is and infringement and your Facts need checking.

PLCedeno
11-29-16, 05:26
I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV. I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

However I can say after nearly 30 years in law enforcement that if I found a gun while fishing I would turn it in to the local authorities. What's the sense of running into potential problems. If the gun was stolen, used in a crime, or just lost and it somehow comes to light that it is in your possession do you really want the attention that a potential investigation might bring? I certainly don't. As previously stated, it's the right thing to do and who knows it may just clear a case, whether a crime or simple lost firearm.

This. BTW i am a lawyer and former prosecutor. The hassle isn't worth the polymer. Now if it were a 1911 found at the bottom of Pearl Harbor (and somehow in a sealed water tight container) that would certainly give me something to think about. Do the smart thing and you may end up with a free gun anyway

Sam
11-29-16, 05:58
Personally, I don't want a glock that bad, or ever.

Dionysusigma
11-29-16, 06:48
Personally, I don't want a gun in .40 that bad, or ever (again).

Airhasz
11-29-16, 11:29
I had a nice one on for several minutes and played him perfect. Had the drag set right,net ready, let him take line and thought I had him tired out...but then he unexpectedly broke water and to my dismay spit the hook out and all was lost. :sarcastic:

Ryno12
11-29-16, 12:24
I had a nice one on for several minutes and played him perfect. Had the drag set right,net ready, let him take line and thought I had him tired out...but then he unexpectedly broke water and to my dismay spit the hook out and all was lost. :sarcastic:

Couldn't have been a G20. That would've just snapped your line instantly.

Feline
12-02-16, 12:45

To a certain extent, the Australian buy back failed to have a significant effect on crime; however, this is because the gun buy back failed to target the firearms used most often in crimes: handguns.

I remember reading of one dude who found a FA AK in a swamp.

Leaveammoforme
12-02-16, 13:11
To a certain extent, the Australian buy back failed to have a significant effect on crime; however, this is because the gun buy back failed to target the firearms used most often in crimes: handguns.

No, it failed because there are criminals. For some reason the Australian cluster flop is hailed as successful. Pretty sure the actual murder rate even went up after.

People like to skew the statistics to their liking by saying The firearm murder rate went down. Which isn't untrue. Murders with firearms did go down. But, murder by any other thousands of possibilities rose.

The same people that scream for gun control are now talking about civil war over the election results. This same unstable bunch that wants my guns is now arming themselves.

There will always be criminals. There will always be predators.

titsonritz
12-02-16, 14:27
Report to the Parliament of Australia on “The ability of Australian law enforcement authorities to eliminate gun-related violence in the community” (http://crimeresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Report-on-gun-related-suicides-and-crime-for-the-Australian-Parliament-Rev.pdf)

Feline
12-02-16, 16:39
Report to the Parliament of Australia on “The ability of Australian law enforcement authorities to eliminate gun-related violence in the community” (http://crimeresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Report-on-gun-related-suicides-and-crime-for-the-Australian-Parliament-Rev.pdf)

Thanks for the article.

No, it failed because there are criminals. For some reason the Australian cluster flop is hailed as successful. Pretty sure the actual murder rate even went up after.

People like to skew the statistics to their liking by saying The firearm murder rate went down. Which isn't untrue. Murders with firearms did go down. But, murder by any other thousands of possibilities rose.

The same people that scream for gun control are now talking about civil war over the election results. This same unstable bunch that wants my guns is now arming themselves.

There will always be criminals. There will always be predators.

Actually, studies suggest the rate of homicides not including firearms went down after the gun buy back.

I submit to you that a complete ban of handguns, without an influx of contraband handguns, would lead to a significant reduction in the firearm homicide rate, and overall homicide rate. And why is this? Because it's a lot harder to kill someone using other instruments. Of course, handguns ban are unconstitutional in the US.

Singlestack Wonder
12-02-16, 17:11
Thanks for the article.

Actually, studies suggest the rate of homicides not including firearms went down after the gun buy back.

I submit to you that a complete ban of handguns, without an influx of contraband handguns, would lead to a significant reduction in the firearm homicide rate, and overall homicide rate. And why is this? Because it's a lot harder to kill someone using other instruments. Of course, handguns ban are unconstitutional in the US.

:rolleyes:

DirectTo
12-02-16, 18:31
I submit to you that a complete ban of handguns, without an influx of contraband handguns, would lead to a significant reduction in the firearm homicide rate....
Well banning things has certainly never lead to a market for contraband versions of them, has it? :rolleyes:

Leaveammoforme
12-02-16, 18:46
Thanks for the article.

Nope. There was an up tick in all crime for a few years, then as the trend lowered (which commonly happens in all countries) they proclaimed success.

The U.S. is on a twenty year downward trend even having war zones such as Chicago. So what happened 20 years ago?

'South Park' came on the scene. Therefore, a show about foul mouthed little kids must have lowered crime.

2.8 million lives were extinguished in the US alone between 2011 and 2013. A handgun wasn't used in any of the deaths.

PatrioticDisorder
12-02-16, 19:51
Thanks for the article.

Russia has had some tight gun controls since the fall of the USSR and very high murder rates (higher than USA I believe). I submit if you remove every ghetto in the USA murder rate would go down substantially regardless of guns. The problem is cultural, it's not a gun problem.

Gombey
12-02-16, 19:57

Hmm. I'm from Bermuda. Born there. Raised there. Guns have been illegal there since the 60's or 70's.

I read your illogical comment about contraband handguns. Bermuda is an island approximately 21 square miles. Closest land mass is approximately 700 miles away (North Carolina).

Since 2009 there have been 29 young men killed by gunfire. That's not counting the other crimes committed w/a firearm.

Gun control. Does. Not. Work.

And registration leads to confiscation.

usmcvet
12-02-16, 20:09

The issue would be if you ended up using the gun in self defense and it's linked to a prior crime or is stolen. Not cool for you.

No need to turn it in. Ask the police to run the serial number. Explain the situation and ask for a copy of the report.