PDA

View Full Version : Would this hurt my G19?

Littlelebowski
09-14-08, 10:06
Trying out a S&W M&P9? It sure is tempting but would I leave my Glock sweetheart for a new flame?

mpardun
09-14-08, 10:17
You'll love the M&P...

love the one your with!

Robb Jensen
09-14-08, 10:32
You'll love the M&P...

love the one your with!

Get both! :D

Voodoochild
09-14-08, 11:04
Never shot an M&P but they look like very nice pieces. I have however drank the Glock cool aid.

LOKNLOD
09-14-08, 11:45
Get both! :D

Handgun three-way! :eek:

bullseye
09-14-08, 14:31
i have 2 19's a23 and a34,,,,i also stumbled on to m&p's, now my ccw is a 9c, aslo have a fullsize 9, and a 9pro, and .45 fullsize. now it's all even,4 each. stupid thing is, i'm basically a 1911 kind of guy. the 9c iwb, with lcp bu, is just right for riding motorcycles though. the m&p's feel better to me than glocks, shoot about as well, wanted to get a few more handguns "just in case", so i got on a roll with smiths.

Master_of_Sparks
09-14-08, 16:30
If you have the jack, and are so inclined, buy the M&P and try it. Its just a gun. I'm a self confessed Glock whore.

My local gun pusher sold me a M&P 9mm on the cheap a few weeks ago. My youngest son is in college in the Navy ROTC as a Marine Corps option, and member of the Pistol Club. They have a kick ass secured indoor range. I left the gun on the bench as a "house" gun. It lays on top of a sign that says "Do Not Clean or Repair" just write "Broke" on the sign in the event of failure. Underneath that is a place to enter round counts.
I just asked, and he said the last time he was there the round count was at 6,000 and something(?). It was filthy and looked like hell. He ran another 50 through it, and it shot well.

bullitt5172
09-14-08, 18:45
If the M&P had been around when I started shooting I may be using them now. I like the gun but there is nothing it does better than my Glocks :cool:

Failure2Stop
09-15-08, 04:02
Ah, that's one thing I really like about guns- you can have fun with one and immediately afterward have fun with another one, or with both at the same time, and unlike women, they won't get pissed-off at you for it. :D

But really- if I was going to leave my G19 right now, it would be for an M&P 9. But who knows what the pistol of choice will be in a year or five. There is always something better coming, even if it is just an upgrade or improvement to what you just bought.

You have to ask yourself what the M&P will do that the Glock doesn't. If you can say that there are advantages (I'm not going to tell you what you need), then you are in the position to make a good buy.

If you just want an M&P, get an M&P. There's no shame in that either.

Then again, I would rather be extremely proficient with one gun than mediocre with many (see Todd G and the SIMP).

IdahoCorsair
09-15-08, 12:36
People say the Glock trigger's a beast... they should try the M&P's trigger. That'll make the Glock trigger feel like a finely tuned 1911!
Personally I don't like the M&P, but it's got all the right attributes to be a great pistol!

Gutshot John
09-15-08, 13:33
The M&P is a good design, but the Glock 19 will always find a place in your heart.

Cheap and available parts/mags keep the home fires burning.

She may not be the prettiest gal, but she sure can dance.

Jerm
09-15-08, 13:43
When i got my M&P-9 it was intended to be "somethin on the side"...then i started to fall in love.

After the reset job...we're married.

The only thing the Glock has on her is a longer track record(which is still hard for me to ignore) and cheaper mags.

Not sure if i can buy another Glock now,not until i have at least two more M&P's anyway.

ToddG
09-16-08, 10:13
You have to ask yourself what the M&P will do that the Glock doesn't.

Bingo. There are a lot of differences between the M&P and the Glock. But the question is, do any of those differences matter to you.

Things that I personally prefer with the M&P:

Grip angle
Reversible mag catch
Metal mags
Dovetailed front sight
Mag safety
Ability to disassemble without needing to pull trigger
Made in the U.S.A.
Better Crimson Trace grips
I simply shoot it better (better accuracy at speed)

There are other differences (ambi slide release, changeable grip size) that might matter to other people but don't really make it better than the Glock for me. Just as I'm sure there are people who don't care about reversing their mag catch, having a mag safety, etc.

The only thing a Glock really has over the M&P, to me, is ease of detailed disassembly. If you like to strip your gun down as far as possible, it's easier to do (and easier to learn) with the Glock.