PDA

View Full Version : Scope Mounting Conflicting Torque Spec's Questions????

Averageman
11-29-16, 08:15
Okay I have a question for you and I'm guessing I'm likely overthinking this, but here it goes.

I have a Vortex Scope that is 6.5-20X50 in 30mm. The Scope comes with a tag warning "Do not exceed 18 inch pounds Torque." The Warne rings however come with a warning "Do not exceed 25 inch pounds Torque."
The question I have is if I take the Torque to 17 3/4's inch pounds on the rings, how will this effect the scope to rings to mount security? That's like a 25% difference which sounds to me like a compatibility issue.

I'm I in some sort of OCD loop overthinking the problem or is this a real issue?

abso
11-29-16, 09:17
18 inch lbs should be sufficient. That is exactly what I torque all of my scopes to and have never had a problem.

Averageman
11-29-16, 10:40
I called both OEM's. I got conflicting advice, so I will go with 16-18 inch pounds.

WS6
11-29-16, 11:07
I called both OEM's. I got conflicting advice, so I will go with 16-18 inch pounds.

Go with 18 inch-pounds on dry screws (I know, I know, but this is what Vortex says...) without loctite. It SHOULD be just fine.

Nightforce says 25 inch-lb, loctite or light machine oil, or nothing, we don't care.
Leupold MK6 and MK8 are 25-28 inch-lb, and the ISMS mounts come with screws lightly coated in machine oil with nylok blue patches on them already
Kahles is "do not exceed 21.X inch-lb" (actually, 240 newton-inches or something), Kahles does not make a mount that is popular
Vortex is "Do not exceed 18 inch-pounds, do not use oil or loctite on the screws". They re-brand Seekins rings, and have tested their scopes in them to 25 in-lb, but still recommend 18 as a max.

LaRue recommends 30
Bobro recommends 18 as a max
Nightforce recommends 25 on their Unimount
Leupold recommends "A maximum of 28 in-lb" on their ISMS
Geissele recommends 15-18.

Long story short, I always choose mounts made by who made my scope. That eliminates any and all issue. I would personally recommend buying this:
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-precision-extended-cantilever-mount-30mm-riflescope

It is basically a Vortex branded Seekins "unimount", and is not only an excellent mount, but is made in conjunction with the company that made your optic.

However, should you choose to go with your Warne mount, the 18 inch-lb should be just fine.

Fatorangecat
11-29-16, 16:30
I would go with the scope value of 18 inch lbs. That value is to keep you from compressing your scope tube. If your worried about movement in the optic use a very light dusting of rosin.

WS6
11-29-16, 18:10
I would go with the scope value of 18 inch lbs. That value is to keep you from compressing your scope tube. If your worried about movement in the optic use a very light dusting of rosin.

This!
I would note though that Vortex has gotten more than that out of their rings on their tubes. My thought is that this 18 inch rule is 1) because people use rings that sometimes aren't the best, and 2) Because if someone thinks 18 is good, 25 is better, and if 25 is good, 30 must be great!

Lets be realistic. I just got back from testing out a LaRue MBT and some Gold Dot 75gr (averaged around 1.1-1.3" 10 shot groups from my DDM4, btw), and while there, I saw some guy and his GF with a .22 rifle. Looked pretty good until he put it to his shoulder and discovered he mounted the scope backwards. Blamed it on his gf. THIS is what Vortex has to deal with, as a company...

Averageman
12-01-16, 15:05
I should mention that things have seemed to have worked out fine.
I started with a Savage Model 10T in 6.5 C, I ditched the Savage stock for a much nicer semi tactical Choate stock, added a Harris Bipod and the night before last and finally the Vortex Scope and Warne Rings.
I went with 18 inch pounds all around and although I haven't shot it yet, it is boresighted and of course we now have four continuous days of rain in the forecast. Shooting and Zeroing will take place ASAP.
The thinking was this was a less(er) expensive first move in to a multi purpose bolt action. It's a bit heavy for everything that I want it to do, but I have a Model 10 in .308 that can do the rest.
Thanks for the advice.
A/M

bamashooter
12-06-16, 18:54
I recently purchased a Vortex and ADM Recon mount. Noticeable difference in ring torque values. Communicated with both. Vortex told me to not exceed their specs because of the possibility of damaging the internal erector tube. ADM told me to always follow the optics manufacturer's recommendation due to differences in various scope wall thicknesses. The ADM Recon values were 20-25 in/lbs where the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 is 15-18 in/lbs. A day or so later I ran across a thread where a guy had torqued his rings to 20 on the same scope as mine and screwed it up. Fortunately for him, Vortex covered his arse.

SomeOtherGuy
12-06-16, 19:23
I recently purchased a Vortex and ADM Recon mount. Noticeable difference in ring torque values. Communicated with both. Vortex told me to not exceed their specs because of the possibility of damaging the internal erector tube. ADM told me to always follow the optics manufacturer's recommendation due to differences in various scope wall thicknesses. The ADM Recon values were 20-25 in/lbs where the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 is 15-18 in/lbs. A day or so later I ran across a thread where a guy had torqued his rings to 20 on the same scope as mine and screwed it up. Fortunately for him, Vortex covered his arse.

Verrrry interesting. I have a bunch of ADM mounts in use and I am familiar with Vortex products, a few of which I like (the Razor line, basically). I doubt that an extra 2 in-lbs would damage that particular scope, and if it did, the scope is total junk. Much more likely in my opinion is that the guy tightened the top of the rings first and then the bottoms, which is opposite from the required order and could cause the bottoms to pinch the tube, doing more damage than the torque would suggest. Or the guy could have gorilla-tightened it and just lied about the 20 in-lb value.

Good on Vortex to cover it anyway - they are known for that. Interestingly, Burris has expanded their warranty to be almost the same as the Vortex warranty, but their scope owner manuals expressly state that any damage from mounting is NOT covered by warranty.

bamashooter
12-06-16, 21:43
Verrrry interesting. I have a bunch of ADM mounts in use and I am familiar with Vortex products, a few of which I like (the Razor line, basically). I doubt that an extra 2 in-lbs would damage that particular scope, and if it did, the scope is total junk. Much more likely in my opinion is that the guy tightened the top of the rings first and then the bottoms, which is opposite from the required order and could cause the bottoms to pinch the tube, doing more damage than the torque would suggest. Or the guy could have gorilla-tightened it and just lied about the 20 in-lb value.

Good on Vortex to cover it anyway - they are known for that. Interestingly, Burris has expanded their warranty to be almost the same as the Vortex warranty, but their scope owner manuals expressly state that any damage from mounting is NOT covered by warranty.

True. Very good possibility. Or he could have had an inaccurate torque wrench.:rolleyes: