PDA

View Full Version : Help me out!

RJ1670
10-16-06, 01:11
Hi all. I'm a new member here. Some of you may recognize me from GT. I just wasn't getting the info over there I wanted about M4's and it seems like everyone here is very knowledgable.

I'm looking to buy my first AR. I want an M4 style weapon that won't break the bank. I'm only an E-2 in the AF and my wife isn't really into guns. So, I'm looking to spend $850 max. Even then, I won't be able to get one until Xmas if I get money from my family.

I'm not opposed to building but, I'm not that mechanically inclined(Uncle Sam lets me play with explosives:eek: ). So, if I can get quality while saving money by building I'll do it. Please help! I need advice/suggestions/just plain help. Thanks in advance!

TigerStripe
10-16-06, 01:50
Stag and DPMS are lower on the cost scale. I know some will say that DPMS are bad product. I agree if you're talking their lowest price model without chrome lining. I've got a DPMS that I've been abusing for a few years and it's still a good gun. Most (stripped) lower receivers are basicly the same except for the writing on the side. You can probably get a Stag lower cheapest since some don't like the deer head on the side. Other less costly are DPMS, Mega and Essential Arms. I'd personally go with one of the first two since I don't have experience with E.A lowers. I would go with a Stag/CMT lower parts kit, if you want to put your own lower together, because DPMS lower parts kits (LPK) quality has gone down recently. You can get a decent upper from DPMS if you go with the chrome lined version. Stag uppers are good and are very reasonable. CMMG, BCM and LMT make great uppers but cost a little to a lot more depending on which one you choose. This may be jumbled because I'm tired, but the info is correct IIRC. Good luck with your build and thank you for your service, it's guys like you who give all of us the ability to have these toys.

TS

M4arc
10-16-06, 07:39
Welcome to the board! It's good to see some of the guys from GT make it over.

There's a couple different routes you could take: buy a Bushmaster or DPMS locally, learn the platform, and upgrade as needed is one opinion. The other is to buy an upper and lower separately. For instance, buy a LMT lower ($330) and a BCM upper from Bravo Company ($560). That's a little more than what you wanted to spend but you can buy the two halves separately instead of all at once and you'll have a top notch AR when finished. You could substitute the LMT lower for a RRA lower ($275) to bring the cost done some.

I believe that Braco Company is out of uppers so you have some time to get a lower, find a few mags, stock up on cleaning supplies and ammo and save for the upper when it's available. Breaking it up like that always goes over a little easier with the wife ;)

C4IGrant
10-16-06, 09:16
Welcome and glad to see you make it out of GT alive. There are some nice guys over there, but very few have a lot of AR knowledge.

The best dollar for dollar value IMHO is Stag Arms. Contact Jason @ JTAC (dealer on this board) and see if he can help you out. Here is his Stag ad: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=1003

C4

MontanaVet
10-16-06, 20:22
First find someone you can trust with an FFL. Save your lunch money for the transfer fee. Go to gunbroker.com and type in M4. You can buy one over the internet and have it shipped to your FFL or talk to your FFL and see what he can get one for. He may match the price.

Just do it. You might as well start breaking in your wife now. Toys are expensive. MV out! :)

RJ1670
10-20-06, 01:33
Thanks for the responses guys! I checked out CMMG Inc. and If I get their upper and lower it will cost around $850. But, if you buy a complete AR from them it costs $1,100 or so. Why is this?

C4IGrant
10-20-06, 08:59
Thanks for the responses guys! I checked out CMMG Inc. and If I get their upper and lower it will cost around $850. But, if you buy a complete AR from them it costs $1,100 or so. Why is this?

FET

C4

RJ1670
10-21-06, 00:57
What's FET?

-Wes-
10-21-06, 01:05
"Firearms and Ammunition Excise Tax (FAET) is a tax imposed by Chapter 32 of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 4181) on the sale of firearms and ammunition by manufacturers, producers, and importers."

http://www.ttb.gov/firearms/faqs.shtml#background

You have to pay that if you purchase a "turn-key" gun. Or save money by pushing the two pins in yourself.

RJ1670
10-21-06, 01:08
Thanks Wes! I knew a little about that but, never put 2 and 2 together.