PDA

View Full Version : Large scale firearm thefts!?

rocsteady
11-30-16, 11:16
So I saw this one where the guys drove the truck in a smash-and-grab deal and got away with quite a few guns. I'm also hearing other ones I can't confirm: happening in several Florida gun stores and one in Virginia. All the same m.o.; large group of people smashing and grabbing large numbers of firearms.

Anyone seeing this in their particular AO?

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/220344708-story

rocsteady
11-30-16, 11:20
CRIME NEWS 137 of 185
prev next

Locked and Looted: Gun store thefts on the rise in Georgia
Nov 1, 2016 08:45 PM
SAVANNAH, GA (WFXG) - Earlier this month in the community of Longs, South Carolina, just over 230 miles from Augusta, a gun store was burglarized, not once but twice in one night. Federal agents say within forty-eight hours, the 225 guns stolen were on the black market, ready to be part of the rising crime rate in your community.

http://m.wfxg.com/wfxg/db_393159/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=dVzoR1ED

Florida

Video shows more than 40 weapons being stolen in smash-and-grab at Tampa gun store | Tampa Bay Times

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/crime/wall-of-weapons-appears-to-be-missing-after-robbery-at-tampa-gun-store/2304419

Bulletdog
11-30-16, 11:20
I haven't seen it here.

Scary stuff, but frankly, I've always been surprised that this didn't happen more often. Seems an easy and obvious target.

Whiskey_Bravo
11-30-16, 12:57
I haven't seen it here.

Scary stuff, but frankly, I've always been surprised that this didn't happen more often. Seems an easy and obvious target.

It's have at least a few times that I know of here in DFW over the last couple of years. Drive a car/truck through the entrance and grab as many as possible in a very short amount of time. It happened to a small one not far from my house, and to a very large one a couple of years ago that caters to LEO. Rifle Gear in Plano which is a fairly new and very large shop has concrete(maybe metal) post up in front of their doors and windows to prevent such an attempt.

http://stwww.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/rgplanotx-00-670x384.jpg

HeruMew
11-30-16, 12:59
How long until the first truck of dudes finds themselves eating 55gr pills from an owner living above/sleeping in the back/or doing late work?

I wonder if it's same groups of people targeting different areas (like the store that got hit twice in one night).

markm
11-30-16, 13:21
It's happened here a few times. Several years back, the gun store closest to me had this happen when the store was NFA and owned by someone else.

Outlander Systems
11-30-16, 13:23
You responsible citizens can wait in the hopper for your NFA items.

As for you criminals, go ahead and line up at the smorgasbord. Bring your acetylene torch and favorite breaching tool, and have at it.

It's happened here a few times. Several years back, the gun store closest to me had this happen when the store was NFA and owned by someone else.

TAZ
11-30-16, 13:36
Heck I'm still surprised that retail stores that aren't hardened leave their inventory in glass cabinets. There is a reason why jewelry stores lock their stuff away in safes at night.

Crow Hunter
11-30-16, 13:37
Happened to a store locally probably a decade or more ago. Afterwards all the local stores put up concrete and/or steel barriers/bollards in front of their stores.

I am honestly surprised that stores everywhere don't have this.

Averageman
11-30-16, 14:55
We have a local store here that was built from the ground up to be a gun store.
The whole design was built around security. The front main door sits on a busy well lighted well traveled street and has the pipe barriers. Alarm system, dogs in the store at night, secured and fenced in parking lot, the whole nine yards.
The scumbags who robbed it drove through an open field, they drove a heavy truck through the entire back end of the store, smashed and grabbed and were gone in like three minutes. Hell, they even left the truck behind and loaded in to another vehicle.
I am never surprised at much that goes on anymore.

sgtrock82
11-30-16, 20:31
We have a local store here that was built from the ground up to be a gun store.
The whole design was built around security. The front main door sits on a busy well lighted well traveled street and has the pipe barriers. Alarm system, dogs in the store at night, secured and fenced in parking lot, the whole nine yards.
The scumbags who robbed it drove through an open field, they drove a heavy truck through the entire back end of the store, smashed and grabbed and were gone in like three minutes. Hell, they even left the truck behind and loaded in to another vehicle.
I am never surprised at much that goes on anymore.
Well WTF a field behind the place and no one thought of ditches and abatises .....pfffft!

Bulletdog
11-30-16, 20:35
Well WTF a field behind the place and no one thought of ditches and abatises .....pfffft!

Or a moat with alligators???

Averageman
11-30-16, 20:53

As weird as it sounds they had to come in at an angle to miss a large tree and the out building and dog run.
I'm just guessing that if you asked these guys to do something legal that required that much heavy lifting, planning and danger, they would look at you like you were crazy.

Mr. Goodtimes
12-01-16, 00:53
I've always been surprised this doesn't happen more often. There is a very large chain firearms retailer near me... some things I've noticed (good and bad):

- the building is somewhat hardened with roll down doors that are rolled down at night as well as commercial steel doors.

- no windows in the entire building

- building is constructed of pre case concrete

- bollards in front of front door.

- multiple fire doors/commercial steel doors through interior of building, isolating show room from stock room (even more guns).

- hundreds of firearms left unsecured on walls/in display cases after closing.

- NFA firearms left unsecured in display cases

- building is located in a commercial area (no body around at night to hear or see a break in)

- large open interior space makes movement quick and easy.

I'm actually pretty surprised the place hasn't been burglarized. While the front door is protected with bollards and a roll down door; you could back a pickup up to the door and a K12 would cut through that roll down door like it was fabric. Behind the roll down door is a glass door with a deadbolt, K12 would cut through that too like it wasn't even thee. Someone that's switched on could be inside that building in less than thirty seconds and probably grab a lot of really bad stuff in another minute and be gone.

It's one of the best hardened gun shops I've ever seen and still, a determined intruder could be inside in seconds. At the end of the day there is only so much you can do. Most physical security measures only keep honest to moderately dishonest people honest, a professional, determined intruder is going to get in. Makes you really realize how insecure your home is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
12-01-16, 01:02
I think it was about 10 years ago some thieves did the pickup truck through the store window of a gun store and were loading up. The owner lived next door and responded with a MP5 and to the best of my memory none of the thieves survived the incident.

AKDoug
12-01-16, 02:06
I watched a video of one of our local gun shops being cleaned out by thieves. They had all their handguns cabled together. The guys just ripped the cable out of the wall on each end, then ran off with fifty pistols like fish on a stringer.

Iraqgunz
12-02-16, 02:13
If it's the one I am thinking, he used an Uzi, or Sten or something like that.

I think it was about 10 years ago some thieves did the pickup truck through the store window of a gun store and were loading up. The owner lived next door and responded with a MP5 and to the best of my memory none of the thieves survived the incident.

Iraqgunz
12-02-16, 02:21
This isn't new, it's just good post election headlines. These kinds of incidents have happened for years.

Bonnie and Clyde and other gangs raided National Guard Armories stealing weapons, ammo, and equipment.

Mr. Goodtimes
12-02-16, 05:37
This isn't new, it's just good post election headlines. These kinds of incidents have happened for years.

Bonnie and Clyde and other gangs raided National Guard Armories stealing weapons, ammo, and equipment.

Today's criminals are a bunch of classless ****ing amateurs compared compared to those of the 1800's/Early 1900's.

El Pistolero
12-04-16, 01:54
Today's criminals are a bunch of classless ****ing amateurs compared compared to those of the 1800's/Early 1900's.

I blame modern public schools.

cougar_guy04
12-04-16, 07:53

Was that the Beckwith story in Alachua County or a different one?
http://www.afn.org/~guns/ayoob.html

JoshNC
12-04-16, 08:11

I believe he used a S&W 76 SMG. Massad Ayoob wrote an article in one of the gun rags when I was in high school detailing the AAR. I believe it occurred in the late 80s/early 90s.

Edit: cougar_guy04 posted the article I was thinking of.

26 Inf
12-04-16, 12:03
I believe he used a S&W 76 SMG. Massad Ayoob wrote an article in one of the gun rags when I was in high school detailing the AAR. I believe it occurred in the late 80s/early 90s.

Edit: cougar_guy04 posted the article I was thinking of.

I'm not much of an Ayood fan, but the little dude can write, I've always said he's the Louis L'Amour of gun writers.