PDA

View Full Version : Spare Bolt Carrier Group?

darr3239
11-30-16, 23:44
I've heard/read that a spare bolt carrier group is recommended.

A thought hit me and I'm wondering how many bolt carriers have had problems?

It seems the bolt is more the issue, with the extractor, rings or whatever. So, is anything more than a spare bolt in order to get the rifle up and running again quickly?

bowman57_2
12-01-16, 00:26
I would think an extra bolt would be all you need. Maybe a few small parts like gas rings and stuff too.

Leuthas
12-01-16, 03:37
A spare BCG would be - perhaps - recommended as a fast swap in the case your bolt or cam pin breaks; open the rifle, throw in a new BCG. Perhaps. I carry spare bolts and other small parts with known tendency for failure and the carrier isn't one of those things.

I don't expect any properly made carrier to fail, in any way, under reasonable circumstances.

Furbyballer
12-01-16, 05:07
A spare BCG would be - perhaps - recommended as a fast swap in the case your bolt or cam pin breaks; open the rifle, throw in a new BCG. Perhaps. I carry spare bolts and other small parts with known tendency for failure and the carrier isn't one of those things.

I don't expect any properly made carrier to fail, in any way, under reasonable circumstances.

Pretty much this. I have a couple spare BCGs for quick swaps if the one I am using goes down.

Ryno12
12-01-16, 05:57
Problems with gas keys can arise too, broken bolts, bad seal, etc. Perhaps less likely of an issue than with a bolt but a possibility nonetheless. An extra complete BCG, for not much more money, covers the bases.
I keep spare bolts and complete BCGs around.

jhr1986
12-01-16, 06:41
I have seen a cracked carrier so I'm in the camp that says keep a spare bcg around.

odugrad
12-01-16, 06:43
Yeah, a complete bcg would be the quickest way to remedy a problem. But having a few spare bolts, gas rings, springs in addition to a few extra firing pins, retaining pins, and cam pins should be more than enough.

praythenspray
12-01-16, 07:17
I certainly agree having a complete spare is the quickest way. From what I gather the actual carrier body cracking or failing is rare, so really what would fail first is the gas key. I mean if you had a MOACKS tool, wouldn't replacing the gas key be a quick fix?

hk_shootr
12-01-16, 07:33
A quick fix if you are in the shop. If you are at a range or at a class and the gas key cracks, you're screwed.
Quite a few will take a spare rifle. However, I take a spare BCG as well.

docsherm
12-01-16, 08:37
I always have a spare complete BCG in my range bag or my Assault Pack. I have seen too many good quality BCGs mess up at bad times.

praythenspray
12-01-16, 08:56
A quick fix if you are in the shop. If you are at a range or at a class and the gas key cracks, you're screwed.
Quite a few will take a spare rifle. However, I take a spare BCG as well.

Oh I agree 100%. If you are out and about, then having a full BCG(or spare upper/rifle) would be best for "just in case". I think my mind went to default as I live on family land and shoot in what is essentially the back yard so if something goes wrong I just walk back over to the shop and can replace/repair.

I was commenting that IF the gas key were to crack, and you had access to the tools, then wouldn't it be considered a simple fix?

lysander
12-01-16, 10:53
Just keep a spare rifle....

Are ARs that delicate?

titsonritz
12-01-16, 11:51

Same here, but if I was only going to have one or the other it would be a BCG (and of course a spare rifle of two).

RobertTheTexan
12-01-16, 12:09
Problems with gas keys can arise too, broken bolts, bad seal, etc. Perhaps less likely of an issue than with a bolt but a possibility nonetheless. An extra complete BCG, for not much more money, covers the bases.

I experienced that very problem with a very well known high quality BCG. (Not any of my LMT's) It was just one of those freaky things that unfortunately happened and it's extremely rare for this company, but happened. So I have extra BCG's. Another part that I do maintain extra stock on, beyond just to have spares like LPK's , extractor springs etc, are gas tubes. I have spare mids, rifle and carbine tubes. I get melonited tubes from BA when I order something from them, I'll put a couple in my shopping cart.
Not that I personally have shot one out, but I have made them glow in the dark on many occasions and my friend recommended I get spares so I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WickedWillis
12-01-16, 12:48
I experienced that very problem with a very well known high quality BCG. (Not any of my LMT's) It was just one of those freaky things that unfortunately happened and it's extremely rare for this company, but happened. So I have extra BCG's. Another part that I do maintain extra stock on, beyond just to have spares like LPK's , extractor springs etc, are gas tubes. I have spare mids, rifle and carbine tubes. I get melonited tubes from BA when I order something from them, I'll put a couple in my shopping cart.
Not that I personally have shot one out, but I have made them glow in the dark on many occasions and my friend recommended I get spares so I did.

With the election hypothetically working in favor of us gun owners, I plan on stocking up on spare parts for my weapons going forward. I spent a big chunk on ammunition and magazines in the Hillary fear spree, so I feel good on where I am at there. Some Spare BCG's, bolts, springs, extractors, whatever. Just compiling a nice size parts bin that I hope I never need, but will have if I do.

RobertTheTexan
12-01-16, 13:23
I personally think that's good idea. It's been a big help to me, but also I've been able to help a guy out who needed an extra takedown spring because he shot both his across the shop. I picked this up from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004X14L/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's got a top section where I keep all my spare springs. Selector switches, detents, firing pins, shims etc. then you pop the iron lid up and inside there I have like 4 BCGs, 5 or 6 Vltor buffers, spare mil spec triggers, ALG ACT triggers, brakes FH's, fixed sights, folding buis... I'm just saying you will be shocked at how many spare parts you can store and it comes with plenty of dividers, the top secures down so small springs to jump bins. I went to Walmart and got one of those fishing tackle boxes, the single lid ones. In there I store my buffer tubes and springs. I have another one that I store picatinny rail attachments, grips etc. Illtry to post a pic of it empty.

FamilyMan
12-01-16, 13:28
I prefer spare BCGs. You can get a complete Toolcraft BCG with the cage code on the carrier for less than $100 shipped. I also found a place that sells hp/mpt FN bolts for $40 shipped so I get those too.

I much prefer these over the BCM ones.

RobertTheTexan
12-01-16, 13:38
WW,

here's a pic of the top tray. Give you an idea of what it can hold.

Couldn't find a pic of the bottom tray. It's pretty deep though. Deep enough to hold5 or 6 BCGs across its width.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161201/a84eed78014e5c3b8b922e475ce32454.jpg

WickedWillis
12-01-16, 13:55
WW,

Couldn't find a pic of the bottom tray. It's pretty deep though. Deep enough to hold5 or 6 BCGs across its width.

Yeah that is what my goals look like lol

RobertTheTexan
12-01-16, 13:59
Yeah that is what my goals look like lol

I went to Bravo and LMT for my extractor springs. Most of the other parts, springs, detents and such I use DSG Arms. They are solid as the day is long. I may have hit up Primary Arms on the firing pins. I'll check my inventory sheet when I home. I can shoot that to you if you want to pm me your email. At least give you a start point. It's a spreadsheet. So you'll need a computer or I can print it and mail it to you. (You never know these days)

Outlander Systems
12-01-16, 14:09
Legit Firing Pin Retaining Pin FTMFW!

WW,

WickedWillis
12-01-16, 14:59
I went to Bravo and LMT for my extractor springs. Most of the other parts, springs, detents and such I use DSG Arms. They are solid as the day is long. I may have hit up Primary Arms on the firing pins. I'll check my inventory sheet when I home. I can shoot that to you if you want to pm me your email. At least give you a start point. It's a spreadsheet. So you'll need a computer or I can print it and mail it to you. (You never know these days)

that would actually be amazing.

markm
12-01-16, 16:45
I've had two or three carriers go down due to broken key screws or loose key screws.. even on "correctly" staked keys. One of my colts had a bolt snap and the key had a gap. I even took it to Specialized Armament, and they said it was fine. So I pulled it apart myself and found the snapped bolt.

The only bolt issue I've had was attributed to the Nickel Boron shit finish... which left me with a brittle bolt.

RobertTheTexan
12-01-16, 17:00
Legit Firing Pin Retaining Pin FTMFW!

You know it.

Too legit to quit brother!! :

RobertTheTexan
12-01-16, 17:03
that would actually be amazing.

I'll shoot it to you first thing in the AM.

Outlander Systems
12-01-16, 17:34
Screw a weak sauce cotter pin homie!

You know it.

Too legit to quit brother!! :

RobertTheTexan
12-01-16, 17:37
Screw a weak sauce cotter pin homie!

Your killin me man!! LOL. Hey I'm saying hello to your city of Atlanta. At least in the airport. Y'all sure do like y'alls Coke down here.

Doc Safari
12-01-16, 17:42
It's not just whether the carrier itself will break, either. Many years ago I had a bolt jam in the carrier due to one of the rings breaking inside the carrier. Not a quick fix at the range. This is also another argument in favor of using only high quality components. I think those bolt rings were floor sweepings from the looks of them.

jpmuscle
12-01-16, 17:49
I'll shoot it to you first thing in the AM.

I'd take one too if you could. For reference sake.

RobertTheTexan
12-01-16, 17:54
I'd take one too if you could. For reference sake.

I'd be more than happy to send it to you JP. It's a decent template to use of anything, in that I list a minimum qty of a given part, my on-hand, and the difference which was my reorder quantity. I'm probably a little OCD for a NON-loggie. I may even capture pricing . Can't recall for sure.

PM me your email and I'll shoot it out in the AM.

Outlander Systems
12-01-16, 18:09
:p

Welcome to Jawjah!

We like some Coke, but not as much as we like our Chik-Fil-A.

I can't tell you how many Saturday mornings I've woken up only to find that there's no way in hell to make it to get a chicken biscuit before they switch over to lunch.

:suicide2:

Your killin me man!! LOL. Hey I'm saying hello to your city of Atlanta. At least in the airport. Y'all sure do like y'alls Coke down here.

jpmuscle
12-01-16, 18:16
I'd be more than happy to send it to you JP. It's a decent template to use of anything, in that I list a minimum qty of a given part, my on-hand, and the difference which was my reorder quantity. I'm probably a little OCD for a NON-loggie. I may even capture pricing . Can't recall for sure.

My hero.

RobertTheTexan
12-01-16, 18:20
:p

Welcome to Jawjah!

We like some Coke, but not as much as we like our Chik-Fil-A.

I can't tell you how many Saturday mornings I've woken up only to find that there's no way in hell to make it to get a chicken biscuit before they switch over to lunch.

:suicide2:

I'm diverting on topic again but I'll just blame you. :-p my preggo wife had my goat smellin' butt at chick fil-a EVERY swangin Saturday getting a chicken biscuit and waffle fries and the occasional milkshake. I put on a out3 babies worth of chick fil a that season. Loved every second of it.
Oh you thought I was complaining about going to chick fil a so much??

Buuahahaaahahahaaaaa

RobertTheTexan
12-01-16, 18:36
My hero.

I'd say it's because I ate my Wheaties but Brucina Jenner or whatever he calls himself kinda ruined that for me.
Besides you'd do the same for me and others. :)

ww2farmer
12-01-16, 18:40
I have four AR's

I have 2 spare complete bolts for the four.

I have one spare carrier for the four

I have a little plastic spare parts box with about a 1/2 dozen cam pins, 4 or 5 sets of gas rings, half a dozen firing pins, a bunch of firing pin retainers, 4 extractors w/assorted stuff, and 4 ejectors/spring/pins.

All of my current rifles were bought new, and have light use so far with zero bolt issues. I only have this stuff for a "just in case" situation.

My first AR, that I no longer have ( a Bushmaster with the goofy ass AK74 welded on muzzle brake, from circa 2001-02) had AT LEAST 7500 rounds of Wolf steel case run in it. I know for a fact, because my brother in law and I split a 15,000 round purchase between us, and I shot EVERY last round of my 1/2 through that Bushmaster, not to mention 1000's of more assorted steel cased and brass cased plinking fodder that was not part of this bulk buy. And had ZERO problems ever with the bolt carrier, the bolt, or the parts that make up the BCG. Out of the handfull of stoppages I rarely cleaned that rifle, used next to nothing for lube, fed it from crappy worn out USGI mags or Thermolds, and only remember a handful of stoppages at best, and they were all the kind that only required a yank on the charging handle to clear and I was back to blasting.

What's the point? I guess, it's nice to have spares, but not the end of the world if you don't. Most BCG's and assorted parts, even from the Bushmasters, and DPMS's of the world will give good service.

pag23
12-01-16, 20:08
I prefer spare BCGs. You can get a complete Toolcraft BCG with the cage code on the carrier for less than $100 shipped. I also found a place that sells hp/mpt FN bolts for $40 shipped so I get those too.

I much prefer these over the BCM ones.

Can you share your source..

Benito
12-01-16, 21:23
Be warned that spare BCGs, much like spare lowers, have a tendency to turn into spare rifles.
Then you get sucked into getting spare parts for your spare rifles, ad infinitum.

RobertTheTexan
12-01-16, 21:26
Be warned that spare BCGs, much like spare lowers, have a tendency to turn into spare rifles.
Then you get sucked into getting spare parts for your spare rifles, ad infinitum.

Benito Benito Benito.... Don't you know that's one reason we get spares in the first place? LOL ;-)

darr3239
12-02-16, 01:02
You've increased my knowledge guys. And this thread turned out to be quite entertaining as a bonus!

Iraqgunz
12-02-16, 01:28
Spare BCG's serve as a good primer for any spare part you may need. For many it's also a matter of convenience. My philosophy is one spare bolt per weapon. Having spares of all the little parts is a good idea as well. Things that are easily lost and consumables. Right now is the time to make that a reality.

RobertTheTexan
12-02-16, 02:25
That's my philosophy too. I started off very simple. If I was ordering parts I would order spares like IG suggested. A good example would be DSG's lower spring replacement kit, comes w/ extra pivot/takedown spring and selector safety spring. 15 springs for less than $13 bucks. Everything to replace every single spring on your lower and upper, (even though it's called "lower spring kit") even the CH release lever spring. Over time your spare parts build up. I like to use LMT BCG's in all my builds and so I wait and catch them when an online GS has them on sale. My first FA BCG from LMT cost me right at $147. Now on sale they'll run $170, but it is the BCG I like and I am very comfortable with.
A little here and a little there really will add up.

RobertTheTexan
12-02-16, 02:28
Not to mention keeping your eyes peeled in the forums E&E. I've picked up some good A5 kits that were brand spanking new for a really good price.

darr3239
12-02-16, 11:49
Yep, and as was mentioned, you get enough parts and suddenly they re-appear as a fully built rifle.

_Stormin_
12-03-16, 21:51
Yep, and as was mentioned, you get enough parts and suddenly they re-appear as a fully build rifle.
This is a constant "problem" for me... Then suddenly I don't have as many spares, and the acquisition of parts begins again.

glockycharms
01-19-17, 16:30

I also sent you a PM for the same info if you don't mind?

MSW
01-19-17, 16:47
I try to keep a spare, but I keep building guns around them:D

26 Inf
01-19-17, 19:15
I was just looking through this thread and saw some posts about parts and parts organizers.

I have found these to be very handy. Four boxes with dividers, and a top comparment. Right now I have 4 of them, one for AR parts, one for shotgun parts, one for Glock and CZ parts, and one for dremel parts, as well as action stones and files. I built a shelf under my bench so they are handy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/part-storage/toolbox-organizer-with-4-drawers-68238.html

titsonritz
01-19-17, 19:39
I was just looking through this thread and saw some posts about parts and parts organizers.

I have found these to be very handy. Four boxes with dividers, and a top comparment. Right now I have 4 of them, one for AR parts, one for shotgun parts, one for Glock and CZ parts, and one for dremel parts, as well as action stones and files. I built a shelf under my bench so they are handy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/part-storage/toolbox-organizer-with-4-drawers-68238.html

Thanks for that, I am in the market for a couple more organizers. Mine are over flowing.

RobertTheTexan
01-20-17, 09:37
I also sent you a PM for the same info if you don't mind?

Got your PM Glocky and I'll shoot it to you Sunday. Just need to make sure you have Microsoft Excel. If you don't let me know and I can save it in a different format before I email it.

GOING HUNTING!!!!

RobertTheTexan
01-20-17, 11:02
Thanks for that, I am in the market for a couple more organizers. Mine are over flowing.

I like this organizer 26 posted up. I'm going to order a couple for my workbench. If you need something that you can close up and transport, then that organizer in my earlier post is good for that. The lid snaps on tight so that your pivot pin springs don't get mixed up with your safety selector springs. Plus it's deep enough to store BUIS, and I also had enough room to store 5 spare BCG's.

TacticalFun
01-20-17, 14:46
I keep a spare bolt / firing pin in my k2'shttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/8b745f52dae636639ef6c60274123e1b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Outlander Systems
01-20-17, 19:35
Put that goddamn weapon on safe!

I keep a spare bolt / firing pin in my k2'shttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170120/8b745f52dae636639ef6c60274123e1b.jpg

TacticalFun
01-20-17, 19:37
I'd rather not load the ar in my living room just so i can put it on safe.

Inkslinger
01-20-17, 19:47

Maybe his hammer is forward on an empty chamber.

Outlander Systems
01-20-17, 19:50
Bustin' chops dudes. :cool:

Inkslinger
01-20-17, 19:55

Me too [emoji851]!

TacticalFun
01-20-17, 19:57
I know lol