PDA

View Full Version : 1911 mag failures?

Master_of_Sparks
09-14-08, 13:46
Im very new to 1911s. I first bought a Kimber a few months ago and Ive bought 2 Springfields and another Kimber since then. Im just figuring all this out, but I have a question concerning mags.
Why are there problems with factory mags? Ive spent a wad on Wilsons and they work. What in particular makes the factory mags not work as well?
This morning, I ended up throwing a factory mag into the woods.

RD62
09-14-08, 14:59
My Springfield mags always worked well. I did replace the followers and springs with Wilson rebuilds after a few years. I personally like CMC Powermags for good bang for the buck. My Wilson's have worked well, and I have been wanting to try some of the new Wilson designs, I can get almost two CMC's for each Wilson. Sorry to hear of your factory mag problems. What kind of issues were you having exactly and do you know who makes the mags for Kimber?

-RD62

Master_of_Sparks
09-14-08, 15:12
I'm not sure who makes the Kimbers. They are just marked Kimber on the floor plates.
The primary problem is a FTF (feed). I have looked and I don't see any real difference between the mags that would prevent stripping another round from the feed lips. The mags are also flush plate, so I don't think its a grip/mag issue. The Wilsons have the extended rubber pads and they feed fine.

I've read many comments on various forums about 1911 factory mags not working but now I'm trying to find out why. Im guessing there must some type of fix.

exitinyourhead
09-14-08, 15:18
I just sold a springfield GI. Neither of the factory mags ever cycled through every round even one time.

Wilson Elite mags no problem
Chip McCormick mags no problem

I don't know why the factory mags didn't work well but I understand where you are comming from.

MX5
09-14-08, 15:28
From here I wouldn't presume to know what causes the problem with yours', but I've seen feed lip measurements all over the map for many magazines.

JohnN
09-14-08, 17:08
My Springfield mags always worked well. I did replace the followers and springs with Wilson rebuilds after a few years. I personally like CMC Powermags for good bang for the buck. My Wilson's have worked well, and I have been wanting to try some of the new Wilson designs, I can get almost two CMC's for each Wilson. Sorry to hear of your factory mag problems. What kind of issues were you having exactly and do you know who makes the mags for Kimber?

-RD62

I must be unlucky or something but I have never had a Springfield magazine work correctly. Even brand new mags supplied with guns did not work reliably. Must be holding my mouth wrong.

RD62
09-14-08, 20:45
Do the mag followers have the dimple on top?

I'd try some new followers before I trashed the mags. Actually I'd try a mag rebuild kit like those offered by Wilson and the like. Pretty inexpensive. If that doesn't fix em, I'd pull the new springs and follwers out, keep em as spares and trash the tubes.

-RD62

Master_of_Sparks
09-14-08, 20:57
The Kimbers have no dimples on the followers. They are a "spacer" like design that seems designed to add an extension to the max length of the spring. Sorry, its hard to describe.

I'll check my dealer for Wilson kits and give that a try. I just have a problem throwing nice SS mags away.
Unless I'm pissed of course....

sff70
09-15-08, 00:36
Many factory 1911 mags are not reliable. It's just that way.

I use my stock mags for malfunction clearance practice, dry fire, etc.

The best aftermarket 1911 mags, in order of preference, IMO are:

Tripp Research Cobramags
McCormick Powermags
Wilson ETM
Wilson 47D

Hilton Yam has a very good discussion of this at 10-8 performance.com and there have been many discussions on mags on the 10-8 forums.