PDA

View Full Version : Are there any SWAT members out there?

GLP Standard
09-14-08, 13:57
Like the title says. If so, I have a few questions.

First off, I wanted to start off by saying that working for a Police Department or Sheriffs Office is something ive wanted to do since I was 11 years old (Im 23 now) more specifically for a SWAT team (or equivelant). Dont ask me what it is. Its just what I want to do.

Now for my questions:
1. I know it varies from department to department, or city to city, but in general, what is involved in getting on with a departments SWAT team? (Lets start from the obvious step of "get hired on with your local PD or SO") Lets say youre hired on, out on the streets, and you just finished your 1 year probation, how would one go about getting on with the SWAT team? How does their selection/training, etc work? Do you apply for it? Do you have to be promoted/recommended for it? Is there a certain number of years you have to put in?

2. Does every PD or SO have some form of a SWAT team, or are some (probably smaller towns I'm guessing) Police Departments without such a thing? The reason I ask, is because I live in a fairly small town. Okay, its not that small, its actually pretty spread out, and is supposed to be as big as Phoenix in 20 years. I never knew it, but I just found out a few weeks ago that my local PD has a SWAT team. I never would have guessed that a smaller town would have something like that.

3. How exactly does your every day 40 hour work week go? I know it has to be much more different than the movies and the media make it out to be. Im sure its not really like the movie SWAT. Do you go out on patrol like a regular uniform would, and work the streets until a call comes in where SWAT is needed? Also, on your days off, are you required to be on call 24/7? Basically, how does it work in your department? Just wondering this, because I want to get the facts from someone who actually does this for a living, instead of watching movies and tv shows where SWAT teams are inaccurately portrayed.

4. In your opinion, what does it mean to you to be part of a SWAT team? Is it worth it? Tell me your feelings on the topic. Anything you want to say...

Some of these questions may sound stupid, but I really want an honest answer to them.

.357sigger
09-14-08, 16:24
1. After your probation period most departments require that you spend a certain amount of time on the street before you are eligible to do anything else...ours is 3 years. After that you have to prove that you are able to be on swat...i.e. physical fitness, etc. Then if you pass that then you are put into a list of applicants but usually there are others in front of you....its a lot of politics despite what people will tell you.

2. No not all departments have swat teams...around me there are a lot of small municipalities and only the large county or metro departments have them. If a situation arises in a small munie the larger department assumes jurisdiction for the incident.

3. I am sure that it varies by dept. but our swat serves all of the warrants for our county...they are also on call 24/7, and serve as additional patrol in the "busy" areas. K9 is also attached to them as well as negotiators, etc.

4. I can't answer that b/c I am not on swat but it is something I would like to try someday. That is about as much info as I can give. Hope that helps.

ZDL
09-14-08, 16:25
Like the title says. If so, I have a few questions.

First off, I wanted to start off by saying that working for a Police Department or Sheriffs Office is something ive wanted to do since I was 11 years old (Im 23 now) more specifically for a SWAT team (or equivelant). Dont ask me what it is. Its just what I want to do.

Now for my questions:
1. I know it varies from department to department, or city to city, but in general, what is involved in getting on with a departments SWAT team? (Lets start from the obvious step of "get hired on with your local PD or SO") Lets say youre hired on, out on the streets, and you just finished your 1 year probation, how would one go about getting on with the SWAT team? How does their selection/training, etc work? Do you apply for it? Do you have to be promoted/recommended for it? Is there a certain number of years you have to put in?

Getting through Academy, getting hired, getting through FTO, finishing the probation period (some 1 year some 2 years some more). Staying out of trouble. Waiting for a spot to open up. Applying for the spot. Actually getting a shot at testing. Physical testing. Oral board. Losing out to people who have been their longer than you even though you performed better in the testing. And repeat.
If everything goes perfect for you (perfect is not a term used in LE a lot) and the probationary period is in fact only 1 year for your local department, bet on...... call it 3 years before you actually get a real shot. Department size depending of course.

2. Does every PD or SO have some form of a SWAT team, or are some (probably smaller towns I'm guessing) Police Departments without such a thing? The reason I ask, is because I live in a fairly small town. Okay, its not that small, its actually pretty spread out, and is supposed to be as big as Phoenix in 20 years. I never knew it, but I just found out a few weeks ago that my local PD has a SWAT team. I never would have guessed that a smaller town would have something like that.

No.

3. How exactly does your every day 40 hour work week go? I know it has to be much more different than the movies and the media make it out to be. Im sure its not really like the movie SWAT. Do you go out on patrol like a regular uniform would, and work the streets until a call comes in where SWAT is needed? Also, on your days off, are you required to be on call 24/7? Basically, how does it work in your department? Just wondering this, because I want to get the facts from someone who actually does this for a living, instead of watching movies and tv shows where SWAT teams are inaccurately portrayed.

Except for a few major cities, swat members are usually standard patrol until called.

You have a ways to go and even more to learn. Don't want to discourage you from seeking LE but make sure your goals and time frames are realistic.

PRGGodfather
09-14-08, 16:46
There are several SWAT Officers on this board.

FWIW, most are disinclined to respond to questions of this type. Too often, people have defined us by our "titles" (this is my cop neighbor, etc.) and in truth, we tire of such questions at parties, family gatherings, etc.

SWAT is a professional assignment.

The most competent SWAT officers tend to be humble and find talking about themselves distasteful.

In essence, YOU don't join SWAT. SWAT selects YOU. That's how it should be. It ain't about YOU. If you prepare yourself for the assignment, demonstrate proficiency in your chosen craft, you MAY be selected -- but there are no guarantees. SWAT only wants team players. Sometimes you're on the perimeter, sometimes you're on the entry -- sometimes, you will scout and gather intel. You DO what the mission requires, NOT what you WANT to do.

Contrary to the maverick SWAT member as depicted in the movies, people who are immature, self-absorbed and get butthurt too easily rarely succeed in law enforcement -- and are rarely selected for SWAT. Sure, the occasional cocky member will get through -- but the veterans ALWAYS find a cure for that character flaw.

We can teach people to do police work and we even teach some people some tactics with weapons; but we hope we do not have to teach them to be decent people.

Lastly, the best teams usually have requirements that the officer be 1.) Off probation, 2,) Be at least 25 years of age, and 3.) Have a minimum of three years of competent street experience. This is intended to screen out the immature applicants who want to be SWAT members just to impress their friends and other people.

Such rules are not hard and fast, but these notions are intended to seek only mature officers with sound officer safety and real life experience. Patience is a requirement.

Good luck to you, and be safe,
Lt. Alan Normandy

photosniper
09-14-08, 19:11
While I'm not SWAT, or even LEO, I can share a bit of information from an article I wrote for SWAT Digest on our local team. Below is an excerpt from the article on the selection process for the York QRT team which is modeled after the Baltimore County MD QRT team

The York QRT team holds tryouts twice a year for new operators. New recruits must fill out an application, be recommended by the chief of their department, pass a PT test, firearms qualifications, and written, psychological
and oral examinations and pass a urine test. Upon completing the requirements, the highest ranked officers are chosen to fill any vacancies on the team. After selection, the officers must complete and pass the Baltimore County QRT School. If they fail, they must resign from the team and are welcome to re-apply. Once a member of the team, each officer must pass bi-annual PT tests, three weapons qualifications and maintain all other qualifications and certifications needed annually.

The York County team is made up of officers from eight county agencies and is an on-call team meaning that they perform their normal duties and respond to emergencies requiring SWAT.

John_Wayne777
09-14-08, 21:54
I'm not a SWAT cop (or a cop) but I can probably help answer a couple of questions for you...

Now for my questions:

Generally departments have policies about how long you have to be there before you're eligible to try out for SWAT. Some departments it's when your period as a probbie is over. In others they don't look at anyone with less than 5 years of street experience.

SWAT isn't where you want inexperienced people.

Actually making the team can be extremely tough. SWAT standards vary from department to department. In some teams there is a rigorous physical fitness standard that you have to meet in addition to psychological screening, weapons competency, background and personal history checks, etc. Some SWAT guys have access to sensitive information and have to be cleared for that either within the department or by a federal agency.

Typically SWAT assignments are coveted positions that lots of people want. Some because they want the extra money that SWAT makes, some see it as a means to advance their career, some just want to be on SWAT because they think it will make their dick bigger, some think SWAT is immune from the political BS that infects other parts of the department, etc. In other words, you'll be in a big line with lots of other people, many who are in it for all the wrong reasons, and some of those people might well make it on the team.

2. Does every PD or SO have some form of a SWAT team, or are some (probably smaller towns I'm guessing) Police Departments without such a thing?

Every municipality does not have a SWAT team. SWAT is expensive and something that a lot of departments really have no need for. In my area there are a number of small municipalities that have a very small number of police officers on them. They couldn't field an effective SWAT team. We have a regional team made up of officers from a local city PD and sherriff's office, as well as some officers from the smaller municipalities who sub in as needed.

The reason I ask, is because I live in a fairly small town. Okay, its not that small, its actually pretty spread out, and is supposed to be as big as Phoenix in 20 years. I never knew it, but I just found out a few weeks ago that my local PD has a SWAT team. I never would have guessed that a smaller town would have something like that.

You'd be amazed at what some small towns can afford. Generally speaking PD's are strapped for funding, but some areas have big fat tax bases and the PD has plenty of money. If you can find a department like that where the political nonsense isn't insufferable, work for them.

3. How exactly does your every day 40 hour work week go?

SWAT doesn't have a 40 hour work week. SWAT is not a normal job. When you are SWAT you are on call 24/7. In many places you only get to go "off pager" for two weeks a year...that means you can't go more than X miles from town. If you have to leave town to do some training for a week, that counts against the two weeks you get.

How the work day will go depends on what's happening. Most departments do not have a full time SWAT team. They have officers on the team who also perform other routine police functions and who muster when needed to serve a warrant or respond to a critical incident. The work day of such an officer can have him making a traffic stop one minute and then getting a call for a barricaded suspect, requiring him to rush to the scene, gear up, and then spend the next 14 hours in 100 degree heat (wearing between 40 and 60 pounds of armor and other gear) waiting out some asshole who just took an AK to his neighbors as they were driving down the street.

Do you go out on patrol like a regular uniform would, and work the streets until a call comes in where SWAT is needed?

In areas without full-time SWAT, that's typically what officers do if they are a patrol officer when not in their Ninja gear. If they are on SWAT they may have permission to wear the basic SWAT uniform instead of a standard patrol uniform in case of a call-out.

In areas with a full-time team the SWAT guys are typically kept pretty busy serving warrants, doing surveilance/protection, helping another unit, or responding to calls for service.

Also, on your days off, are you required to be on call 24/7?

You betcha. And sometimes your "day off" happens to be a team training day, so you no longer have the day off. Some larger areas have a big enough unit that they have a squad that is "on call" who gets the first calls that come in. If they aren't able to meet the need or if something bad happens, however, you still get called.

4. In your opinion, what does it mean to you to be part of a SWAT team?

It means being the go-to guy in the department. It means that if some homeboy running from a traffic stop busts into a house and starts holding some innocents hostage, you have to be prepared to go in there and shoot him in the face. You also have to be prepared to stand outside and wait in the heat for 12 hours while a negotiator tries to prevent that from happening.

You have to be willing to follow orders and yet enough of an independent thinker to make a critical judgment call which could well make the difference between life and death for you or someone else in a split second without all the information....and that judgment call will be examined with an electron microscope in the aftermath by people who weren't there, have no idea what it's like to make that call, and who use the word "justice" as a punchline. (Either within the department or outside the department)

It means working closely with other local, state, and federal agencies on a number of tasks and assignments, even if the people you are supposed to work with are so stupid it makes your hair hurt.

It means that when you're out on your anniversary dinner with your wife and the beeper goes off, you have to leave her right then and there to go muster and spend the next 9 hours waiting on some drunk asshole who is threatening to kill his girlfriend and her kids. Then you get to come home and lay out your gear (because you are still on call and you could be called out again) while the wife complains that the first night in a month you've been able to get alone that you have to bug out, and on your anniversary, no less.

It means a training tempo that is tough and extremely tough on the body. If you're over the age of 30 something will probably be sore every day of your life. If your over 40 you'll probably be eating Tylenol like they are Tic-Tacs. Between the running, the weight lifting, the CQB training, the rappelling...or walking into a crack house and falling through the floor into the basement when you are trying to clear the place, or even just the effects of walking around in a Paraclete vest and brain bucket all day, something will get you.

Etcetera, ad infinitum.

Is it worth it?

That's something every individual has to answer for themselves. If you are the right sort of person with the right sort of circumstance it will probably be a good fit. If you are the right sort of person but your wife and family can't deal with the problems, you have to make a choice about what you value more.

Being a police officer means a certain level of sacrifice. Being a SWAT officer means even more sacrifice on top of the BS that just comes with wearing a badge. It ain't for everybody. I look at being a police officer in general as being a calling...not a job. The same applies to SWAT.

mike240
09-14-08, 23:53
I will assume that you are speaking of Buckeye who has annexed enough land to be larger than now but will wait till the people come there. The trend in the Valley of the Sun is 3 years on the PD before eligible for most specialty roles, SWAT being one. Most agencies in the Valley have decentralized teams, which mean ful time assignments (patrol, detectives etc) and coming together when needed. the only full time teams I know of in the area are Phx, DPS, and MCSO. Other have a small, full time element that they call or use as a SCAT or selective enforcement unit that tracks fugitives and does high threat surveillance. Most part time teams train min. 240 hour year plus additional training for those who hold specialty roles within the team (i.e. snipers, breachers etc) which can account for another 180-240 hours. Unfortunately, many small agencies do have tactical teams but should not since there is a smaller pool of candidates to draw from. Quality can suffer, budget and training time does not allow them to get good and lack of activity questions need for the admin to commit to it. The best SWAt guys tend to be the older more mature cops with the most street experience. They get better with age for they learn patience and when and how much to risk given the task at hand. The trade off is that the wear and tear on their bodies will often force them out just when they are the most valuable. Most part time teams are on call 24/7 without additional compensation and do not get "work out time" to meet the PT demands/testing.

Was it worth it? I say yes. Will I regret it later, physically wise? maybe...
But there are many Special Ops guys out there in the military that do it to be with the best, get the best training and gear etc to be the safest possible. they take more risks (even in training) and often end up having many health issues later in life. I doubt they regret it either.

Iraqgunz
09-15-08, 03:57
M240,

Quick hijack. Whereabouts are you located? I just bought a house last month in Goodyear and will be haeding out on R/R in a few days. Take care.

Army Chief
09-15-08, 05:24
I think the topic has been adequately dealt with here, and will only add the following:

I worked in a small department (<40 sworn officers), and the approach there was more to maximize the skills of the personnel that we already had on the force. Those of us that had prior military training were afforded some additional opportunities to train in non-standard roles, and since the skill sets on hand included a former Marine sniper, a former Army infantryman, a couple of SCUBA-rated guys, a couple of competition shooters, a couple of pilots and/or aircraft owners and a couple of experienced trackers and mountaineers, there was some additional capability identified in the force. This was then loosely -- if deliberately -- organized to leverage those assets when needed. That's a far cry from a full-up SWAT team, but the point is that there are often opportunities in small departments if you have a good reputation and a relevant skill set.

In larger municipalities, there are more structured opportunities, of course, and this is where the real SWAT work tends to be done. Standards are more clearly defined. Equipment is baselined. Budgets are built to support the desired capabilities. Training facilities are allocated. In short, everything about it is more organized, more regimented, and more demanding. The problem with getting into such an organization is that there is often a world of difference between meeting basic qualifications and actually being considered competitive for selection. As the LT said, this is more of a "don't call us, we'll call you" proposition, and it doesn't matter how badly you want it if you aren't viewed as a good fit.

It is important to set goals, but it is probably even more important to make the most of where you are right now in order to get there. SWAT is a privileged capstone assignment in a law enforcement career, and everybody starts on the bottom rung of the ladder. Succeed there, and the rest may well follow in time.

Chief

GLP Standard
09-15-08, 06:18
I will assume that you are speaking of Buckeye who has annexed enough land to be larger than now but will wait till the people come there.

As a matter of fact, I am talking about Buckeye. Whatever I end up doing, I either want to work for Buckeye PD, Goodyear PD, or MCSO, with MCSO being my first choice.

Thanks for all the responses guys. Very helpful replies here. If there was a karma system on these forums, you would all be getting karma for taking the time to help me out. You all definately answered a lot of questions, and put things into perspective for me. Thanks again. If anyone has anything else to add, feel free and ill keep checking back till this thread dies.

msap
09-15-08, 15:26
A little addvice for you. Get hired, get through the academy and get some experience...I'm talking years here. Then and only then start thinking about specializing in something. This job ain't for everybody. You start talking about swat from day one you won't get far.

Patrick Aherne
09-16-08, 01:39
See Alan's post above.

markm
09-16-08, 15:04
A little addvice for you. Get hired, get through the academy and get some experience...I'm talking years here. Then and only then start thinking about specializing in something. This job ain't for everybody. You start talking about swat from day one you won't get far.

That reminds me of a dude over on TOS.... I'll NEVER forget this... :D

He wanted to know how to get a position as a Detective. He wasn't interested in having to work patrol or anything. He just wanted to apply and become a detective right off the street! :D

GLP Standard
09-16-08, 15:25

He wanted to know how to get a position as a Detective. He wasn't interested in having to work patrol or anything. He just wanted to apply and become a detective right off the street! :D

Oh I know I wont get hired on as anything but a patrol officer. I even figured that I would be required to put in several years as a patrol officer before I could get on with a SWAT team. I just wanted to know what to expect so I can be prepared for it. After all, being an LEO IMO is a career, not a job. I would be looking at putting no less than 20 years in with whatever department I get hired onto. That's plenty of time to prove myself, and get into the physical shape, and gain the knowledge, skills and abilities required of SWAT officers.

markm
09-16-08, 16:05
Oh I know I wont get hired on as anything but a patrol officer. I even figured that I would be required to put in several years as a patrol officer before I could get on with a SWAT team. I just wanted to know what to expect so I can be prepared for it. After all, being an LEO IMO is a career, not a job. I would be looking at putting no less than 20 years in with whatever department I get hired onto. That's plenty of time to prove myself, and get into the physical shape, and gain the knowledge, skills and abilities required of SWAT officers.

I wasn't aiming my example at you at all..... msap's account just reminded me of some other story. Best of luck!

Line Rider
09-18-08, 09:09
I've been in law enforcemente since 1995 as a reserve officer, part and full time. I've attended serveral courses the are SWAT related, but the the department I'm employed with doesn't have a team. I would like to go to the first phase of SWAT but I'd have to go on my vacation.

1. P .T. The first thing you need to do is to get hired and finish the academy. So the first thing is you HAVE TO BE IN SHAPE TO PASS THE PT TEST. It doesn't matter if you score 100% on the written test , if you can't pass the PT test. Check to see what your state's standard is.

2. Get hired and throught the academy... You need to apply at any and all the departments you can. It doesn't matter if it's a 4 man or a 400 man department. Your goal should be to get hired, pass the academy and learn how to "po lease" as we say. During your interview don't ask about SWAT. That will come later, if your hired.

3. Pass the academy how you do in the academy will be a big boost for you. Screw around, don't study,have problems and your career is finished but you start it.

4. FTO and experince...this is where the rubber meets the road. Learn from your FTO and senior officers. Everyone does this job differently. This is were you learn the basics on how to deal with incidents and situtation. If you can't deal with a simple drunk at 2:00 AM I don't think you will be able to handle a felony warrant service on a crack house in the projects.

5. Work ethic and PT... please remember your a cop 24/7 your personal life is watched by the public. Stay in shape with the PT

C4IGrant
09-18-08, 10:57

This is funny. If my local SWAT teamed asked me to be a member, I would PASS as I am afraid one of them would shoot me on accident. :eek:

C4