PDA

View Full Version : Issue pistol for corrections dept.

xray 99
09-14-08, 18:10
A small state corrections department operates four prisons, three half-way houses, and a probation/parole bureau.

What would you select as an issue pistol - one model and caliber for all.

Each probation/parole officer would be issued a pistol.

Remember, all prison officers will have to qualify, but only a few (transportation, SERT) carry on a regular basis. It's possible for a prison officer to go months (years) without having to carry on the job (other than qualification) - and then be told, "Go take inmate X to the hospital."

John_Wayne777
09-14-08, 19:03
A Glock 19 if concealment will ever be part of the need for the armed individuals. A Glock 17 if concealment won't ever be an issue.

Out of the box they are most likely going to be reliable weapons. The 9mm Glocks are the most reliable weapons Glock makes. They seem to put up with abuse and neglect fairly well, and the manual of arms for them is simple.

I'd also mention the S&W M&P 9mm here. They seem to be working very well for a number of agencies.

GLOCKMASTER
09-14-08, 20:04
North Carolina Dept. of Corrections uses the S&W M&P .40.

williejc
09-15-08, 04:14
I suggest a .357 mag revolver. The semi-auto handgun is a poor choice for those who will be receiving minimal training, which may be poor also. Turnover rate among correctional employees is extremely high resulting in having a large number of green employees on every shift every day.

Selecting a secure holster for firearm retention may be more important than which handgun is issued.

The .357 mag chambering allows for a broader range of ammo to choose from.

DANGER CLOSE
09-15-08, 11:09
glock or m&p .40 s&w.

sff70
09-15-08, 12:04
It should be:

9mm (easier to shoot than .40, esp for the gun-averse or those who aren't trained often)

4" to 4.5" barrel, with a double column mag that isn't as thick as a Beretta

Consistent trigger with striker-fired action (easier to shoot than DAO, DA/SA)

Manual safety (one of our COs was saved by one when disarmed)

Adjustable to user with interchangeable backstraps (what works for a 21 yo male that is 5-10 with large hands will not work for a 60 yo female who is 5-02 with small hands)

I would get a M&P 9mm with a manual safety (they are releasing this later this year)

and . . .

Used with a Safariland ALS holster with the SLS hood and hood guard.

I would NOT go with a revolver. The long DA pull makes them significantly harder to shoot well, they are quickly shot empty, and they take a long time to reload, esp in a stress situation, or lowlight, or if you've been shot in in the hand.

The above opinions come from training LE for 15 yrs, about 1/2 of this time training COs as well.

Hawgleg44
09-15-08, 13:59
Glock 22 or M&P .40. I work with an LE firearms distributor. They are Sig, Glock and S&W distributors. In the past year or so, they have sold nothing but M&P's in .40 and .45acp. We've had S&W's, Glocks Sigs and Berettas traded in towards them.

That said, Glock is a great gun, too.

xray 99
09-15-08, 17:17
Thanks to all those who replied. I lean toward the M&P with the magazine disconnect feature. I like the 9mm, but I have a feeling .40 will take the day because "That's what all the other cops carry."

The .357 revolver was standard issue until 2000. It's a great choice for the occasional user from a safety standpoint, but a striker-fired trigger is so much easier to use.

DANGER CLOSE
09-16-08, 12:16
if we are talking about staff with minimal training, i personally would not go with the manual safety. i think it would be better for them to be able to 'point and click' when necessary. of course training plays the biggest factor, including weapons retention.

Bigun
09-16-08, 14:40
It should be:

9mm (easier to shoot than .40, esp for the gun-averse or those who aren't trained often)

4" to 4.5" barrel, with a double column mag that isn't as thick as a Beretta

Consistent trigger with striker-fired action (easier to shoot than DAO, DA/SA)

Manual safety (one of our COs was saved by one when disarmed)

Adjustable to user with interchangeable backstraps (what works for a 21 yo male that is 5-10 with large hands will not work for a 60 yo female who is 5-02 with small hands)

I would get a M&P 9mm with a manual safety (they are releasing this later this year)

and . . .

Used with a Safariland ALS holster with the SLS hood and hood guard.

I would NOT go with a revolver. The long DA pull makes them significantly harder to shoot well, they are quickly shot empty, and they take a long time to reload, esp in a stress situation, or lowlight, or if you've been shot in in the hand.

The above opinions come from training LE for 15 yrs, about 1/2 of this time training COs as well. I agree and would add a Mag disconnect safety. In fact I would put that above a thumb safety for ease of training. I would say the best guns for tha job S&W M&P or Beretta PX4 C or D model.

sff70
09-16-08, 22:17
Thumb safety use = training issue.

There are no problems with other thumb safeties, given some training:

M9/92F (not only in use in LE, but also in .MIL, with a lot of personnel who don't get a lot of training).
Ruger P series
S&W 39/59/69 series

CO's in particular, are at risk of disarming. The average age of a CO is much higher than that of LEO. Their physical abilities, generally, are less. The population that both groups deal with is generally much younger and stronger, and COs are almost always outnumbered.

Again, we have a CO saved by their manual safety. It made a believer out of a lot of people.

old grunt
09-24-08, 09:58
Glock 19

AllAmerican
09-24-08, 13:09
Being a State agency, is the bidding process going to be an issue? If so, that may limit your options.....
Sometimes a vendor will include support in the form of training, extra parts, etc.
In any event, good luck!

ST911
09-24-08, 13:17
A small state corrections department operates four prisons, three half-way houses, and a probation/parole bureau. What would you select as an issue pistol - one model and caliber for all. Each probation/parole officer would be issued a pistol. Remember, all prison officers will have to qualify, but only a few (transportation, SERT) carry on a regular basis. It's possible for a prison officer to go months (years) without having to carry on the job (other than qualification) - and then be told, "Go take inmate X to the hospital."

Several folks like those you describe standardized on a common platform within their organization, implemented new programs, or otherwise updated their gear. Those most satisfied today chose the G19 or G23.

Others have battled various quality, training, and/or manufacturer support issues, some worse than others.

There is little merit in choosing a .40SW over a 9mm, but a substantial cost savings, especially over time, with the latter.

Contact the FTU staff at various state DOCs for their input. Assuring them of anonymity will help with candor.

evilmonkey
09-24-08, 13:19
Glock 17 would be my choice. If you want something with a safety go with the sig line of pistols. I would say M&P but to me the stock trigger is horrible but its still a damn fine pistol.

ToddG
09-24-08, 13:20
If you want something with a safety go with the sig line of pistols.

Very few SIGs are available with a manual safety, and most of those are competition-oriented guns.

evilmonkey
09-24-08, 13:36
Very few SIGs are available with a manual safety, and most of those are competition-oriented guns.

Well decocker, sorry! :D

xray 99
09-24-08, 20:12
I am familiar with the state bid process - one can specify a particu;ar make and model, as long as there is justification for it. For example, one can submit a report on the unique attributes it possesses. The distributors then get to bid on it.

DarrinD
09-25-08, 01:51
A Taser Pistol.

No fiream pisttols for general issue to all officers. AR's or .308 rifles for the tower guards. Basically, I wouldn't want any firearms inside my prison yard walls or inside any transport vehicle, but if I had to choose for the chase and/or ghost vehicle transport officers I would issue full size M&P 9mm's or Glock 17/19's. More good guys have been killed with firearms (and other means) than inside prison walls than bad guys. A prime example is the hostage crisis we had here in AZ at the Sam Lewis maximum security correctional facility.