PDA

View Full Version : Poncho

FrankW
12-04-16, 20:48
I'm seeking a good light weight rain proof poncho that's large enough for a single sleeping system. Amazon has tons of garbage out there.

I'm open to any group suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wake27
12-04-16, 21:19
Budget? I'm a big fan of the Velocity Systems Basha. Wild Things Tactical also has a waterproof poncho. Neither are cheap though.

FrankW
12-04-16, 21:45
I'd like to find a solid piece of gear and worry about price later. I'll adjust finances to afford it, if it's good enough.

FrankW
12-04-16, 21:49
Budget? I'm a big fan of the Velocity Systems Basha. Wild Things Tactical also has a waterproof poncho. Neither are cheap though.

Thanks. Good stuff.

Turnkey11
12-06-16, 23:32
I picked up a new with tag multicam poncho on ebay about a year ago for about $50.

BrigandTwoFour
12-26-16, 21:57
For a straight up USGI poncho, it's hard to beat the ones made by Old Grouch (oldgrouch.biz). He noticed the same thing you did, and ultimately contracted a US manufacturer to make ponchos for him using the original spec. I have a woodland one as part of my EDC, but he has multicam ones as well, now.

The velocity systems Basha is also on my radar, but it's more of a Brit style tarp with a hood on one corner.

JasonB1
01-01-17, 14:46
Have you looked in to silicone impregnated nylon ponchos? Usually half the weight of coated rip stop and no delamination problems. I have an old Golite model but there are loads of companies making them from larger outfits to 1 man shops.

natetheace
01-23-17, 18:44
http://www.bushcraftoutfitters.com/MEST-Ponchos_c39.htm

I just ordered one of these. Looks like it might fill the bill.

fyrediver
01-29-17, 12:50
I'm a fan of the Wiggy's poncho and poncho liners. They have a hooded poncho liner that you can wear under the poncho like a coat.

http://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outerwear/insulated-poncho/

Also, there's the Hill People Gear Mountain Serape. Overkill if you're just looking for water protection but a versatile unit. http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/CategoryID/4/ProductID/19/Default.aspx

zekus480
01-29-17, 20:30
I am a huge fan of Bushcraft USA products, I went with a tarp as it was a little larger and just a couple dollars more than a poncho. I use it as a shelter as opposed to a rain garment.
http://www.bushcraftoutfitters.com/10-x-7-Sized-Tarps_c33.htm

M4_Meat
02-27-17, 21:09
Hazard-4, Poncho Villa. Very nice, packs small.

https://www.hazard4.com/apparel/outdoor-wear/poncho-villa.html

VARIABLE9
02-28-17, 14:14
For $8.00 this is decent, via Amazon. It's definitely more like an e-blanket equivalent, not like a warm poncho liner blanket type.

Emergency Norwegian Military Surplus Emergency Poncho Blanket

elephant
03-28-18, 19:39
I got a rubberized military poncho that I got from a place called Col. Bubbies that specializes in vintage Army-Navy surplus. I don't know why, but I like it more than the nylon ponchos. It cost me $30, has a little weight but keeps you completely dry.

1_click_off
02-09-20, 19:23
Anybody know if Old Grouch is still around? I ordered a poncho back in June of 2019, tried calling a few times, left messages, emails and no poncho has hit my door or status change on my order. No return emails or calls. Just wondering if they still in business.

Buncheong
02-13-20, 21:23
Tagged for interest.

I have a USMC poncho liner (MARPAT woodland) that I take on the road when the job sends me out of state and I sleep in a rest stop.

I can’t seem to find the actual poncho that goes with it for sale, anywhere ... :(

k9barco
04-06-20, 19:18
Anybody know if Old Grouch is still around? I ordered a poncho back in June of 2019, tried calling a few times, left messages, emails and no poncho has hit my door or status change on my order. No return emails or calls. Just wondering if they still in business.

I remember seeing some bad threads about old grouch on other forums.
I have never done business with them , but others say they got burned. Not sure why things went bad.

1_click_off
04-06-20, 19:27
I remember seeing some bad threads about old grouch on other forums.
I have never done business with them , but others say they got burned. Not sure why things went bad.

They finally contacted me via email and said the order got dropped because they changed systems. They told me to put my order details into a new reply system they have and they will throw in some goodies since they dropped the ball. I have since used their old system once and new system three times to try to reply to them and the only thing I have received from them is silence. They don’t even answer the phone or return messages left for them. They on my poo list for sure. I will look back to see if I was charged and update.

Yep, I got burned for $91.something. They charged my card and that was all they did.

k9barco
04-07-20, 13:17
That sucks, hope you get your money back.
I heard they used to be a good company.
Good luck!

teufelhund1918
04-08-20, 08:58
They finally contacted me via email and said the order got dropped because they changed systems. They told me to put my order details into a new reply system they have and they will throw in some goodies since they dropped the ball. I have since used their old system once and new system three times to try to reply to them and the only thing I have received from them is silence. They don’t even answer the phone or return messages left for them. They on my poo list for sure. I will look back to see if I was charged and update.

Yep, I got burned for $91.something. They charged my card and that was all they did.

You can contact your credit card customer service dept and file a complaint for not receiving your goods. Once you go through the process with them, you will either receive what you bought from the dealer or the card will refund your money. I've done it a couple of times with some turds over the years.

1_click_off
04-13-20, 14:09
You can contact your credit card customer service dept and file a complaint for not receiving your goods. Once you go through the process with them, you will either receive what you bought from the dealer or the card will refund your money. I've done it a couple of times with some turds over the years.

That was last June I purchased it. Wonder if I can go back that far? I will give it a try. Thanks.

meausoc
04-13-20, 16:27
Check out the Hill People Gear, Original Mountain Serape
http://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/4/ProductID/19

teufelhund1918
04-14-20, 11:44

Eekk! Might be too late, but it can't hurt to call and talk to a customer service rep and explain the situation.

Pappabear
04-14-20, 12:53

You were not BS-ing when you said they are pricey. I would love to see that Wild Things gear in person. $500-600 for one piece of kit is a pretty big ask. Must be very nice though.

PB

Allen
04-14-20, 12:53
Snugpack makes a good one w/ option for a over backpack.

Al

jsbhike
01-24-22, 06:13
Wish it was as wide as a USGI, but these seem to be well made and pack small.

https://www.onewindoutdoors.com/products/camo-rain-poncho