PDA

View Full Version : Are the CCI primers for 5.56 worth it?

acerman
09-14-08, 22:31
Just getting ready to buy some small rifle primers(for .223). Noticed CCI makes a primer for the 5.56 specifically. Cost is a little more than standard small rifle primers.Wondered if they were worth the extra cost over the standard primer??

markm
09-15-08, 08:08
There's no need for them. Billions of rounds have been fired in the AR platform with commercial primers.

jasonb
09-17-08, 12:07
From what I've read, the #41 primer is basically a magnum primer with a very hard cup. The consensus is that they are too hard to show overpressure signs.

I've had good luck with Remington 7 1/2 primers.

Damascus
09-19-08, 16:04
+1
I've used all kinds of primers, Federal, Federal Match, Winchester Small Rifle, Remington 7 1/2, CCI Small Rifle, CCI Benchrest, CCI Small Rifle Magnum, but never used these new ones.
Out of all, I like the CCI Small Rifle Magnum primers the most. The cups are plenty hard enough for the free-floating AR firing pin, yet they can still show tell-tale overpressure signs. If the shop is out of them though, then I'll buy the CCI BR-4's, which personally, I can't tell any difference between them and the magnums, except the price, the BR4's cost more, but aren't any more accurate or consistent. The Remington 7 1/2's would be my third choice. Just my 2 cents, don't blow the extra dinge on the new 5.56 primers.

POF.Ops
10-06-08, 17:29
Did you have to modify your powder charge at all when using the magnum primer as compared to the standard SRP?

John Fettes
10-07-08, 15:48
I've had good luck with Remington 7 1/2 primers.

Me too!

John

Damascus
10-07-08, 18:59
Well, like I said, all my manuals show loads using magnum primers - but, if you've got a good load using standard SR primers, I'd at least back off by a full grain and then work back up. Magnum primers will up chamber pressure a tiny bit... but I like them for the harder cups and hotter ignition, and if you've got a true 5.56 NATO chamber, chances are, if you approach overpressure, the rounds have been grouping like crap 2 or 3 grains ago anyways, LOL.