PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Gen 2 PST 1-6

gamewarden
12-05-16, 23:57
Figured I'd start a separate thread for this scope.
Field of view looks great in this picture. If dot is daylight bright as advertised a few solid ounces lighter than the 1-6 Razor and cheaper this scope will be a big winner in my opinion. Can't wait for specs on Wednesday!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNqMvfmjM2Z/

Kenneth
12-06-16, 00:35
That picture is of the 1x6 Razor. Unless I am retarded. lol

Furbyballer
12-06-16, 06:35

Nope, its definitely tagged as being the razor haha.

I hope the PST is just a new lighter razor. The weight is the only thing holding me back from picking one up.

C4IGrant
12-06-16, 07:32
Looking to getting these in!

C4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gamewarden
12-06-16, 09:36

No you are correct...same reticle and brightness for both scopes though. Weight is going to be a little lighter too!

kukworld
12-06-16, 10:40
Per Vortex, new PST 1-6 will have massive POV, same reticle of razor..didn't mention the weight. If it weight less, something gotta give, hopefully not the quality of the glass

Nightstalker865
12-06-16, 10:48
Really looking forward to this release. I've been planning on picking up the Trijicon Accupower 1-6X, but the PST Gen 2 might be a better option.

gamewarden
12-06-16, 13:15
Per Vortex, new PST 1-6 will have massive POV, same reticle of razor..didn't mention the weight. If it weight less, something gotta give, hopefully not the quality of the glass

The 6-24 AMG dropped some weight by limiting the amount of steel in the turrets. It's still a solid scope but is lighter than the Razor.

elephantrider
12-06-16, 20:53
Per Vortex, new PST 1-6 will have massive POV,

Do you mean FOV?

Link from the UH-1 thread.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154707001185758&substory_index=0&id=94830825757

Slippers
12-07-16, 03:40
The 6-24 AMG dropped some weight by limiting the amount of steel in the turrets. It's still a solid scope but is lighter than the Razor.

The AMG is also a 30mm tube versus 34mm on the Razor, potentially losing some weight in both aluminum and the size of some optical elements.

SomeOtherGuy
12-07-16, 11:37
The features and specs are now on Vortex's website, and look like a major upgrade over the gen1 PST. The 1-6x looks identical to the Razor 1-6x in most ways - I am wondering if it may simply be the same scope, renamed. Does anyone know if the PST's are still made in the Philippines, or were moved to Japan?

Oh, MSR prices are significantly higher too, as might be expected. Based on MSRP these will be priced about the same as Burris XTRII scopes, which are the obvious competitor.

gamewarden
12-07-16, 11:44
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-gen-2-1-6x24-riflescope-with-vmr-2-mrad-reticle

gamewarden
12-07-16, 11:50
The AMG is also a 30mm tube versus 34mm on the Razor, potentially losing some weight in both aluminum and the size of some optical elements.

Agreed, that was just one of the ways Vortex stated they dropped the weight as the AMG is significantlying lighter(more than a pound) than the Gen 2 Razor's...where the Gen 2 PST 1-6 shaves a little more than 2oz as advertised over the Gen 2 Razor 1-6.

kukworld
12-07-16, 13:50
The features and specs are now on Vortex's website, and look like a major upgrade over the gen1 PST. The 1-6x looks identical to the Razor 1-6x in most ways - I am wondering if it may simply be the same scope, renamed. Does anyone know if the PST's are still made in the Philippines, or were moved to Japan?

Oh, MSR prices are significantly higher too, as might be expected. Based on MSRP these will be priced about the same as Burris XTRII scopes, which are the obvious competitor.

The FOV in the PST line is narrower. The weight is lower, but not by much...was hoping somewhere around 19ozs.

Jaysop
12-07-16, 15:21
Are these for sale yet?

gamewarden
12-07-16, 15:50
Are these for sale yet?
Could probably order one if you call them directly...?

C4IGrant
12-07-16, 15:55
Are these for sale yet?

Not till Summer.

C4

C4IGrant
12-07-16, 19:00
MAP is $699

C4

SeriousStudent
12-07-16, 19:11
Not till Summer.

C4

And you will get more of my money then. I'm building an AR for my nephew, and this looks very useful.

Kenneth
12-08-16, 00:12
They are able to order through Vortex today if you qualify for LEO/First Responder/MIL.

I was told Jan-Feb for the 5x25 Gen II PST.

gunnut12
12-08-16, 05:21
Man what the ****, I just bought a 2.5-10FFP, had no idea there was a whole new line coming out.

TAZ
12-08-16, 08:53
At $699 the 1-6 G2 will most likely sell like hot cakes. Will have to save up for one. Kind of wished that they would have included a variant of the EBR-2 reticle so you can do holdovers a bit more precisely. But then this isn't targeted for precision work.

C4IGrant
12-08-16, 16:55
March is the official word on these from Vortex. We placed our order and do offer M4C discounts on Vortex optics.

C4

gunnut12
12-08-16, 17:25
March is the official word on these from Vortex. We placed our order and do offer M4C discounts on Vortex optics.

C4

Do you know what the price will be for the 2-10x32 FFP and 3-15x44 FFP? Also, is the glass going to be about the same or is it expected to improve? I have a NIB 2.5-10x32 that just came in the other day but am strongly considering returning it and going for a gen 2, probably the 3-15

C4IGrant
12-08-16, 18:38
Do you know what the price will be for the 2-10x32 FFP and 3-15x44 FFP? Also, is the glass going to be about the same or is it expected to improve? I have a NIB 2.5-10x32 that just came in the other day but am strongly considering returning it and going for a gen 2, probably the 3-15

$949 and $999 (MAP).

No idea on the glass. Checking

C4

abso
12-08-16, 21:25
Is this discount open to all m4c members? If so, is there a special coupon code that is publicly available? Or is it given via PM?

C4IGrant
12-09-16, 06:48
Is this discount open to all m4c members? If so, is there a special coupon code that is publicly available? Or is it given via PM?

Yep. Just send us a PM for it.

C4

C4IGrant
12-09-16, 10:01
Just received confirmation. He PST 2's will have upgraded glass.

C4

NongShim
12-09-16, 12:48
Did I miss something or is this a Razor with less and lower quality glass inside? The Razor is so heavy because of the sheer volume of glass inside. Is this just a Philippino Razor rather than Japanese? Looks like a great value.

elephantrider
12-09-16, 15:34
Did I miss something or is this a Razor with less and lower quality glass inside? The Razor is so heavy because of the sheer volume of glass inside. Is this just a Philippino Razor rather than Japanese? Looks like a great value.

I don't think you missed anything. Great value, if it is as promising as it seems.

cop1211
12-09-16, 20:12
Daytime bright confirmed?

lahunter57
12-09-16, 20:23
Daytime bright confirmed?

In a live video on Facebook today, Vortex said that it is daylight bright. Of 10 brightness levels, he said 8 was what he typically used it on. He also said that it was only a very small portion of the reticle that is lit.

Edit: Went back and watched the video again. It's a center dot illumination just to clarify.

bighawk
12-09-16, 21:24
I've been shopping around for 1-6's for a while.. Ill be patiently waiting

tat2
12-15-16, 20:04
Can these be pre-ordered??

T

C4IGrant
12-15-16, 20:08
Can these be pre-ordered??

T

Sure. We have an order in with Vortex. Send us an e-mail.

C4

tat2
12-15-16, 20:36
Sure. We have an order in with Vortex. Send us an e-mail.

C4

Thanks!

irondude
12-20-16, 20:13
This cant happen soon enough. I have two Viper PST FFP scopes. 2.5-10 and 4-16. I am very happy with them. Knowing improved glass and a much belter zero stop in on the way is very good news.

-Mike

tat2
01-15-17, 15:07
Is the PST line made in Japan??

T

Beat Trash
01-19-17, 08:41
Are these new PST GenII 1-6 scopes going to be as durable as the Razor HD's?

C4IGrant
01-19-17, 11:09
Are these new PST GenII 1-6 scopes going to be as durable as the Razor HD's?

Hard to say, but I am going to say no (hence the cheaper cost as there are always trades).

C4

C4IGrant
01-19-17, 11:10
I got to play with this scope at Shot. Very impressed. Looking forward to receiving them in.

C4

Vegasshooter
01-19-17, 11:21
I checked these out at SHOT. I can tell you that they are very much in line with the Razor as far as the glass quality. This is where I'm coming from in scopes: I personally own a Razor 1-6, a S&B 5-25 PMII, and have a Kahles 1-6 inbound. So, good glass is important to me. So saying this glass is on par with the Razor is a big compliment. Looking at it next to the Razor, one in each hand, my eye couldn't see the difference. Now, to be fair, this is indoors, under fluorescent lighting. Once outdoors, things may change. The big kicker is I believe the PST will have a street price of around $600'ish. I really think this new PST II is going to be a fantastic addition to the Vortex line up.

I really gotta think the Vortex Razor 1-6 has gotta be due for an upgrade. I predict we will se a bump to 1-8. Used to be the PST line was a 1-4, and didn't quite have the glass the Razor did. The gap has narrowed down to where the juice isn't worth the squeeze on the Razor 1-6. Now, with companies like Swarovski doing. 1-8, Bushnell Tactical Elite doing a 1-8.5, the Razor in a 1-8 would be SWEET.

Little drift there, sorry. But, in my opinion, the new PST II is super nice.

irondude
01-19-17, 20:28
I don't usually post the same thing twice, but I am really exited for these scopes to hit the market. I will be upgrading a few scopes with these. I really like my V1 Viper PST's. I am really looking froward to the shimless zero stop.

TommyG
01-20-17, 07:15
At a street price of $600ish there are going to be a million gently used 1-4 units out there for sale methinks.

Straight Shooter
02-28-17, 09:14
Again...where are these made?

C4IGrant
02-28-17, 11:20
Again...where are these made?

Philippines

C4

INMY01TA
03-05-17, 09:53
They're out:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/408412/vortex-optics-viper-pst-gen-ii-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-1-6x-24mm-1-5-mil-adjustments-illuminated-vmr-2-mrad-reticle-matte

Auto426
03-06-17, 14:32
Philippines

C4

While the PST Gen II scopes do seem to be definite improvements they are also being saddled with higher price tags pushing them out of that $500 range that was so attractive to many people. It also seems that they are discontinuing the Gen I models now as well. Any idea on if they intend to replace the Gen I's with something priced similar?

INMY01TA
03-06-17, 14:35
Philippines

C4
Assembled in Phillipines with Japanese glass if I'm not mistaken.

C4IGrant
03-06-17, 14:53
While the PST Gen II scopes do seem to be definite improvements they are also being saddled with higher price tags pushing them out of that $500 range that was so attractive to many people. It also seems that they are discontinuing the Gen I models now as well. Any idea on if they intend to replace the Gen I's with something priced similar?

I would like a Ferrari for the cost of a Ford Mustang, but that isn't going to happen. When the product improves quite a bit, the cost has to go up. Yes, the GEN 1's are going away. The new diamond back line and Strike eagle should fill in some of the gap left by the PST GEN 1 line.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/diamondback_tactical_riflescopes

C4

Auto426
03-06-17, 20:06
I would like a Ferrari for the cost of a Ford Mustang, but that isn't going to happen. When the product improves quite a bit, the cost has to go up. Yes, the GEN 1's are going away. The new diamond back line and Strike eagle should fill in some of the gap left by the PST GEN 1 line.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/diamondback_tactical_riflescopes

C4

I perfectly understand that the increase in cost is warranted by the increase in quality/performance and I'm not arguing against it. I'm just trying to understand the direction they are going with their product line and I was wondering if they would try to come up with another option in the $500 range since there are a few other companies like Steiner or Leupold that offer LPV's in that range.

lahunter57
03-06-17, 22:06
Grant, do you know when you'll be getting the new PST's in?

C4IGrant
03-07-17, 10:28
Grant, do you know when you'll be getting the new PST's in?

I do not. Vortex has sent out a small batch of these (so they are out there).

C4

Torquetard
03-09-17, 11:39
The finish on these things is enough to make me want to spend extra on the Gen II

bighawk
03-09-17, 13:22
Just ordered mine last night should be in hand next Thursday.

EricF1
03-16-17, 06:52
Just got mine in yesterday (from SWFA, 10% off, not sure if that sale is still going on). Super clear glass, true 1x. Haven't mounted it yet but I'm impressed so far.

http://i.imgur.com/v6lfIBL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SWgxq6g.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PftrTcS.jpg

kukworld
03-16-17, 10:59
How is the eye box..is it forgiving? I have Steiner 1-4, the only complaint I have is the sensitive eye box

EricF1
03-16-17, 11:16
Honestly I'm a bad judge, this is my first scope so I'd wait to hear the opinion of others. I bought it based mostly on Adam's review for Hawkeye Ignite:

https://youtu.be/KJZcaTobBZI

The Steiner P4Xi was going to be my choice before I saw the above review, and they praise the PST eyebox.

But my poorly informed testing: there is a range of maybe an inch or two front to back where the picture is clear, less so of course side to side. Without mounting yet it's especially tough to say, sorry. Mount should arrive tomorrow and I'll have a more experienced friend shoot it too so I'll update then.

EricF1
03-18-17, 17:06
Tuned the gas system and sighted in the scope yesterday. My friend remarked how good the picture and the eyebox at 1x are great, usable at all 6 stock positions and the middle 4 are all good. At 6x the eyebox is of course smaller and closer (less eye relief) but there's 2 stock positions that work.

VIP3R 237
03-31-17, 23:15
I got mine in today and I'm taking it to the range tomorrow, so far I am very impressed.

lahunter57
04-10-17, 15:20
I just got mine in today, and I must say I'm a bit disappointed. I was expecting it to be very similar to a red dot on 1x but it doesn't seem that way to me. I don't know exactly what it is, but something is throwing me off.

I'm not completely dissing the optic, though. It's very clear, the illumination is bright, and the eye relief is very forgiving. I think it's just going to take me a while to get used to it, but I'm optimistic.

I was considering getting the Razor 1-6 but went with the PST so I could test the concept since this is my first LPV. The optic is very heavy; which is part of the reason I was so hesitant to go this route.

I definitely need to change the mount out for the extended version.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170410/c5b8840aa590e99768b229ece24cf7f1.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170410/6dff991b0b68f09f8304f8b6bbf0a988.jpg

kukworld
04-10-17, 15:36
Most LPV even the most expensive one, it never a true 1x. Also, the eye box is never "forgiving" enough compare to red dot. Therefore, I never consider to put any LPV for home defense weapon. With that being said, I don't think you will regret it because LPV does offer versatility.

SomeOtherGuy
04-10-17, 15:53
Most LPV even the most expensive one, it never a true 1x. Also, the eye box is never "forgiving" enough compare to red dot. Therefore, I never consider to put any LPV for home defense weapon. With that being said, I don't think you will regret it because LPV does offer versatility.

Not correct. I'm going to just standardize my comment on this recurring fallacy. Anyone with an LPV and a red dot, and the ability to look at things close and far, can demonstrate this to themselves in a minute or two. Whether at a shooting range, or with optics OFF the guns, in your backyard or whatever.

SomeOtherGuy's standard verbiage on "true 1x" LPV scopes:

Low power variable scopes (e.g. 1-4x, 1-6x) can easily have a true 1.000 magnification at the low end. However, this 1.0 magnification is measured from the objective lens. That means that if you look at something 3 feet away, it will appear to be magnified, because the scope's objective lens is 10 to 18 inches closer to the object than your left eye is (the sum of the length of the scope itself and the eye relief between the ocular and your eye - so for example, a 10" long scope with 4" of eye relief will put the scope's image 14" closer to the target than your left eye will be). This does not mean that the scope isn't a "true 1x", just that you were expecting something different. FYI, it is not at all difficult for optics companies to make a true 1.0x rifle scope, and in fact some of the 1x scopes on the market actually go down to a slight wide-angle effect, maybe 0.95x. In fact, I have a Minox ZX5i where the hash mark for 1x is a true 1x, but the magnification ring will rotate past that and produce a 0.95x (or so). Given who Minox is, I believe this is intentional, not a shoddy workmanship issue.

The 10-18" difference between your left eye location and the scope objective location in a 1x scope is a big deal when playing with a scope in your basement workshop (etc.) but is insignificant in real world shooting. At the only distances where you'd be able to notice the difference in shooting you will be so close to the target that you're going to be in a hurry (3-gun or predatory critters) and will not notice. On 1x looking at a 25-50 yard target you will not be able to tell the difference.

Proper focusing of the ocular (eyepiece) is critical on a LPV, because it affects not only the focus of the reticle, but also the apparent magnification at the 1x setting. While the recommended practice for higher power scopes is to focus the ocular while looking at blue sky at full magnification, in my experience with LPV scopes, it is much better to focus the ocular while set to 1x and looking at something 100-200 yards distant. Adjust the ocular focus until you simultaneously have the reticle in focus and an apparent magnification of 1.0 through the scope, determined by looking with both eyes open. If you have normal eyesight and a quality LPV this should be easy to do. If you cannot do it, you either have eyesight requiring significant correction, or a problem with the scope, OR a scope that doesn't reach a true 1.0x (for example, Leupold sells some scopes that are marketed as only going to 1.25x, and in the detailed specifications are revealed as actually going to only 1.5x - these will not produce a true 1.0x image, obviously).

A red dot (RDS) works on a completely different principle, because it has no lens and forms no image. It is simply a tube containing an angled mirror (reflecting a narrow band of red light) that is curved in a way to reflect a red dot at a specific apparent location, regardless of where you look through it. The RDS is not a "true 1x" either, it forms no image at all and is more analogous to iron sights than to a conventional optical telescope. Also FYI, no RDS, regardless of cost or quality, is genuinely 100% parallax free at all distances; however, the good ones are close enough that the minor parallax errors don't matter.

An RDS and a LPV at 1x work in completely different ways and are not the same thing. However, both work quite well for fast, close-up shooting, and with practice (and training if need be) can be used for similar purposes. Unless you need a carefully focused, precise aiming dot at something inside of 10 feet (or so), in which case the RDS is the better choice.

EricF1
04-10-17, 16:17
Did you adjust the optic ring? It took a while to find a spot that worked well at both ends of the magnification range. I agree the eye box on 6x isn't like that of a red dot, that's never gonna happen. On 1x it's really good, but sure, it's no EOTech.

I ran my PST GenII in a cool run and gun format, had 2 hours to do as many laps as possible on a 1.5 mile course where there were two pistol and two rifle stages, out to 250 yards. I'm a total newbie especially on rifle, but I was able to get all six targets hit in the 15 sec par time: three targets at 50 yds, two at 150, and one at 250 yds. Dude in the pic isn't me, BTW, but it shows the range and the janky tank trap that was the only support for the shot.

http://i.imgur.com/aMWVISY.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RBUK4g0.jpg

TAZ
04-10-17, 16:20
If you're used to running an RDS the LPV will take some getting used to. I'm no optics expert, but no matter how you slice it an RDS will always have a more forgiving eye box. What I found be when I put on my first LPV was that I needed a higher mount than an RDS. I just couldn't get my eye lined up behind the scope as efficiently as I needed with a standard 1.4" mount. I went with a tall ADM mount at 1.93. I can get my eye behind the scope far more efficiently this way. Also minimized some of the parallax issues I was getting. May not be an issue with the Vortex, but on my PA 1-6 it was present.

No matter what. Some training to lock in the muscle memory will be needed. It's not a like for like swap.

C4IGrant
04-10-17, 16:22
I just got mine in today, and I must say I'm a bit disappointed. I was expecting it to be very similar to a red dot on 1x but it doesn't seem that way to me. I don't know exactly what it is, but something is throwing me off.

I'm not completely dissing the optic, though. It's very clear, the illumination is bright, and the eye relief is very forgiving. I think it's just going to take me a while to get used to it, but I'm optimistic.

I was considering getting the Razor 1-6 but went with the PST so I could test the concept since this is my first LPV. The optic is very heavy; which is part of the reason I was so hesitant to go this route.

Training, practice issue. If you work with it, you can be just as fast.

C4

Caeser25
04-15-17, 06:12
How is the eye box..is it forgiving? I have Steiner 1-4, the only complaint I have is the sensitive eye box

The Steiner has one of the most forgiving eyeboxes on a LPV.

RHINOWSO
04-28-17, 13:48
I normally don't beta test, but I came into some rewards points at Cabelas that had to be spent. Initially I was going to use them on a Razor 1-6 (points plus cash), but after seeing the PST Gen 2 at SHOT and seeing some of the reviews, I found it hard to justify an extra $600 and 2.5 oz for the Razor over the Viper. I also considered the Trijicon 1-8x28 but the uncapped turrets on a LPV make it hard to stomach for that price.

I think I'll take off the Trijicon Accupower 1-4x24 off my 16" BCM and use it on there for awhile to test it out. I'll post up a review after I get it mounted and some rounds through it, likely be a couple of weeks.

TMS951
04-28-17, 14:24

Not my experience, I'm very comfortable with my LPV optics inside 3 yards. Leupold VX6 and Nightforce NXS

Fletch10
04-28-17, 15:37
I normally don't beta test, but I came into some rewards points at Cabelas that had to be spent. Initially I was going to use them on a Razor 1-6 (points plus cash), but after seeing the PST Gen 2 at SHOT and seeing some of the reviews, I found it hard to justify an extra $600 and 2.5 oz for the Razor over the Viper. I also considered the Trijicon 1-8x28 but the uncapped turrets on a LPV make it hard to stomach for that price.

I think I'll take off the Trijicon Accupower 1-4x24 off my 16" BCM and use it on there for awhile to test it out. I'll post up a review after I get it mounted and some rounds through it, likely be a couple of weeks.

Please do. I ordered this scope two months ago, but it's still back ordered. I'd love to see what more individuals have to say about this optic.

VIP3R 237
04-28-17, 16:22
Please do. I ordered this scope two months ago, but it's still back ordered. I'd love to see what more individuals have to say about this optic.

I haven't had a chance to do a detailed review but so far I love it and I think it is a very good value.

bighawk
04-28-17, 18:00
I've got a few hundred rounds through mine so far.. Eye box is fairly forgiving on 1x and the glass is pretty nice for the price. Looking forward to hearing some real reviews on these once people get more time with them.

Benito
04-28-17, 21:17
I really don't get why manufacturers keep putting the tiny objectives on LPVs. On 1-4x, sure, but now that we're getting into 1-6x and 1-8x etc., put a slightly bigger objective lens. It really isn't going to add any significant amount of weight, but it will make looking through it at max magnification a lot easier.

RHINOWSO
04-29-17, 13:48
Where did you order it from?

tat2
04-30-17, 23:28

The 1-6 Razor appears as a true 1x for me. But it's waaaayy off out of the box. I need to adjust the crap out of the eye piece at the ocular lens. Almost an entire turn out from the factory setting. I have 3 1-6 Razors and they all needed this exact adjustment. It makes a night and day difference. Just like looking thru a T1 now.

T

tat2
04-30-17, 23:37

Adjust the eye piece properly. Makes all the difference in the world. Both eyes open T1 Aimpoint after its adjusted to your eye. Mark it at 12 o'clock... mine is gtg after turning it left to 3 o'clock. And get an SPR-E or ADM Recon-X with 3" forward rings.

T

RHINOWSO
05-04-17, 10:41
Mine is out for delivery, so hopefully in a week or two I'lll have some range time behind it, but I'll also post initial impressions / etc when I get it.

tat2
05-04-17, 10:53
Mine is out for delivery, so hopefully in a week or two I'lll have some range time behind it, but I'll also post initial impressions / etc when I get it.

If you have a Razor 1-6 too I would really like to hear your opinions on how they compare. I am wanting to try one but I am afraid it will not be a close to the Razor as I am hoping. Thanks

T

RHINOWSO
05-04-17, 22:39
I don't have a Razor, so I can't give a direct comparison.

My Viper PST Gen 2 1-6x24 VMR-2 MOA arrived today and thus far I really like what I have. Seems very well built and sturdy - weight is 22.65 oz, so a little more than 2.5 oz lighter than the Razor.

Illumination seems daylight bright and similar to the Razor (from what I've seen the one time I looked through one and what people say on the internet about it). Turrents nicely capped and positive clicks. Glass seems nice for the price point and comparable to the Accupower 1-4 I have.

Only bitch is the lack of any sort of nub type cat-tail, making it hard to turn the magnification dial - the dial itself is stiff enough to prevent turning it accidentally, but it doens't seem over tight - just the lack of anything to get some leverage on make you have to grasp the dial with at least 2-3 finger.

Of course Vortex wants you to pay to buy there PTL, but I may wait to see if AADMOUNT comes out with one. I have a set of their caps for a Razor ordered, as the dimensions of the eyepiece and objective are the same - they are backordered so I don't know when I'll get them, but they are SO worth it.

RHINOWSO
05-05-17, 15:18
The 1-6 Razor appears as a true 1x for me. But it's waaaayy off out of the box. I need to adjust the crap out of the eye piece at the ocular lens. Almost an entire turn out from the factory setting. My experience as well - I was comparing it to my Accupower 1-4x and was thinking "this is 1.1x or 1.2x, at least" while the Accupower is seamlessly 1x. But after playing with the eye piece it's just like the Accupower now, as close to 1x LPV as I've ever seen.

elephantrider
05-05-17, 15:25
The 1-6 Razor appears as a true 1x for me. But it's waaaayy off out of the box. I need to adjust the crap out of the eye piece at the ocular lens. Almost an entire turn out from the factory setting. I have 3 1-6 Razors and they all needed this exact adjustment. It makes a night and day difference. Just like looking thru a T1 now.

T

That is how magnified optics are supposed to work. The eyepiece/focus ring is adjusted in whole turns. The lpv types, really require that the focus be adjusted correctly to your eye.

VIP3R 237
05-09-17, 16:37
Quick review after a match this weekend.

Pros:

Optic quality is top notch, can't see a noticeable difference between this and the Razor 1-6, maybe on the higher magnification models you can but I can't on the 1-6x.
Daylight bright illum.
Forgiving eye box, I never found myself chasing it.
Decent reticle that isn't too cluttered, yet functional.
Turrets are stiff and precise.
To my eye its a true 1x.
For $700 you can't beat it.

Cons:

It's a little heavy.
Shiny Finish looks cheap.
Magnification ring is stiff, cat tail is almost required.

tat2
05-11-17, 02:50
Thanks for the review. Good to hear on the glass. Typical weight and cattail issues due to the mag ring being frankly just too damn tight. Unfortunate color choice too. Maybe a cheap cerakote job is in order?

T

Iraqgunz
05-30-17, 19:36
Is there a cat tail available yet that will work with this optic? I am considering snatching one in the near future.

bighawk
05-30-17, 19:49
Is there a cat tail available yet that will work with this optic? I am considering snatching one in the near future.

Yes I ordered one from Vortex a while back and works well.. It is made specifically for all of the Gen 2 PST scopes.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-switchview-throw-lever-sv-5

RHINOWSO
06-07-17, 19:05
Yeah, it really needs a cat-tail.

Mine had an illumination issue - if not turned correctly to the highest setting, it had the potential to flicker and turn off as the knob settled into its place. Vortex has it on the way back to me so I'm hoping it's GTG now.

RHINOWSO
06-08-17, 14:03
Just got shipping notice that mine will be back Monday.

mpmeyer
06-08-17, 17:28
Yeah, it really needs a cat-tail.

Mine had an illumination issue - if not turned correctly to the highest setting, it had the potential to flicker and turn off as the knob settled into its place. Vortex has it on the way back to me so I'm hoping it's GTG now.

I have 2 Vortex Gen2 PST 1-6x scopes.

One had a spongey illumination switch and had flickering illumination. I sent that one back to Vortex for service, called today, hope to have it coming back next week.

The other one has nice solid clicks in the illumination switch and no problems.

RHINOWSO
06-08-17, 17:34
My illumination was stiff, but when you hit the detent, it was almost impossible not to turn past it just a bit (although it would stay illuminated, mostly). On most settings it would stay illuminated but on 9 & 10 it had a tendancy to flicker (like yours). So I guess 'spongey' is an accurate description.

I sent mine back about 3 weeks ago, I think they just got the parts in to fix (or replace), I'll know Monday how they did.

RHINOWSO
06-09-17, 12:50
Mine showed up today, early for some reason. :D

Paperwork says they replaced the scope due to illumination issues. Vortex QC had open the new scope box and tested the illumination. All seems well.

Additionally, the new scope has a different, more matte black finish, as opposed to the sorta cheap glossy appearance of the original (ala the Strike Eagle line). Overall I like it a lot better, but functionally they appear the same aside from the illumination issue I had.

I'll mount it this weekend and see how the Aadland scope caps for the Razor 1-6x24 fit the PST. ;)

VIP3R 237
06-09-17, 13:00
If you get a chance can you take a picture and show the new finish?

RHINOWSO
06-09-17, 13:08
If you get a chance can you take a picture and show the new finish?

Boom! Tried to show the matte finish, I think it comes through in those photos.

tpdavis89
06-10-17, 07:27

Boom! Tried to show the matte finish, I think it comes through in those photos.

Man, that looks so much better!

RHINOWSO
06-11-17, 18:33
Haven't been able to get to the range yet, but the new scope impresses with the illumination and clarity of the glass. Eye relief is generous at 1x, both in depth and laterally. It tightens up on 6x as you'd expect, more so laterally but no different than other scopes when at higher magnification. It's as true 1x as my Accupower 1-4x24, which is to say neither provides any indication of magnification when using the scope.

nimdabew
06-21-17, 11:06
I am hoping this new finish comes through for the other scopes in the line. I have a 2-10 on order right now, and one of the turn-offs for the scope was the shiny finish.

LOBO
06-21-17, 12:32
What is the difference in durability & toughness between the Gen 2 PST 1-6 and the Razor 1-6?

Kenneth
06-21-17, 18:31
I would say the durability is pretty similar especially since they upgraded to the Razor gen I turrets. The Razor might have a slight advantage because they are extremely tough.

LOBO
06-21-17, 20:44
I would say the durability is pretty similar especially since they upgraded to the Razor gen I turrets. The Razor might have a slight advantage because they are extremely tough.

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

stank
06-23-17, 16:32
I am hoping this new finish comes through for the other scopes in the line. I have a 2-10 on order right now, and one of the turn-offs for the scope was the shiny finish.

I read on TOS that vortex is changing the finish to be more matte. Not sure if it was specific to the 1-6 or all gen 2s.

RHINOWSO
06-25-17, 13:37
Yeah, I'm glad mine had to go back for illumination now that is was replaced with a newer one with the better finish.

Torquetard
06-25-17, 14:38
Looks like a quality scope now and not something from Walmart :)

Red falcon
06-25-17, 21:47
RHINOWSO, does the new finish seem more durable too?

RHINOWSO
06-26-17, 18:57
I haven't had the chance to wring it out at all, it's rained non-stop all month and with the humidity 1000%, even when its not raining, nobody feels much like shooting.

Jaysop
06-26-17, 19:42
I'm wondering now if it's worth saving up the extra $$ for the Razor if this thing is a quality optic for half price. Obviously not the same quality though.

RHINOWSO
06-26-17, 22:56
I'm wondering now if it's worth saving up the extra $$ for the Razor if this thing is a quality optic for half price. Obviously not the same quality though.
I thought about it but its $600 more, 2 oz heavier, for the same illumination and power range. Glass / durability expectedly a step down, but I think overall it's a trade off that was worth it for me.

Jaysop
06-27-17, 22:51
I thought about it but its $600 more, 2 oz heavier, for the same illumination and power range. Glass / durability expectedly a step down, but I think overall it's a trade off that was worth it for me.

I haven't had the opportunity the handle either. Have you handled both? I'm curious how similar they are side by side without the sales pitch from the YouTube vids.

I've read that the tube of the Razor nearly disappears when looking down it. I'm curious if the viper would be similar. My eyes are to shitty to really use a red dot but variables always give me a tunnel effect.

jstalford
06-28-17, 10:12
Might be worth it if you're getting a second hand razor. Prices are coming down on them and I got mine under $1100.

But for a strict budget, this is looking pretty good.

Jaysop
06-28-17, 11:59
Might be worth it if you're getting a second hand razor. Prices are coming down on them and I got mine under $1100.

You're not making it any easier. The T2 on my main rifle doesn't really cut it for me. Maybe I'll sell it to offset the difference. I wish I could see these in person.

How much has the new finish changed from what was originally released on the PST? The pic on the last page looks good, I can't imagine it being more glossy than that. There's a few used ones for sale and I don't want to pic up something that looks like an old leupold scope.

mpmeyer
06-30-17, 15:44
I got mine back from Vortex service, they said they replaced the illumination controls.

Still flickering, illumination goes off on recoil.

Back to Vortex.

Alaskapopo
06-30-17, 18:21

Yep the glass quality. The PST line is medium quality glass. The Razor line has always been much much better in clarity.
Pat

SiGfever
06-30-17, 20:55

Tried to send you a PM but your mailbox is full.

RHINOWSO
07-01-17, 11:07
I haven't had the opportunity the handle either. Have you handled both? I'm curious how similar they are side by side without the sales pitch from the YouTube vids.

I've read that the tube of the Razor nearly disappears when looking down it. I'm curious if the viper would be similar. My eyes are to shitty to really use a red dot but variables always give me a tunnel effect.
I think the 'tunnel' effect is always possible, simply because you are looking down a long tube vice a short RDS housing.

But compared to other LPVs, the PST Gen 2 1-6 is very easy to use and I don't notice the tube at all unless my head gets waaay out of position. It's very forgiving.

ETA I have limited time behind a Razor 1-6 during a carbine course, but that was last year so I don't have any side by side. But I don't see any noticeable difference in FOV / Illumination / etc.

cuz
07-19-17, 07:15
Can anyone compare the quality of the Gen II PST 1-6x with the Burris XTR II scope? I'm trying to decide between the Vortex or the XTR II 1-8x model. I have not seen or handled either one in person.

Thanks,
Cuz.

tat2
07-19-17, 13:40
Can anyone compare the quality of the Gen II PST 1-6x with the Burris XTR II scope? I'm trying to decide between the Vortex or the XTR II 1-8x model. I have not seen or handled either one in person.

Thanks,
Cuz.

I have not looked through the 1-6 or 1-8. But I have looked through a 3-15 Burris and a 5-25 PST. The PST was slightly better glass. I do have multiple 1-6 Razors and that glass is supirior to both. That said I think the Burris 1-8 is quite a bit more expensive than the 1-6 PST. Not sure it's worth it unless you need the 8x.

T