PDA

View Full Version : removal of fore stock?

nottelybill
09-15-08, 07:31
I have a Bushmaster ORC carbine and I bought a rail and handle for the front. How do I get the forehand of to install the rail??

Robb Jensen
09-15-08, 07:46
I have a Bushmaster ORC carbine and I bought a rail and handle for the front. How do I get the forehand of to install the rail??

Do you have a bolt on the the handguards type of rail or a rail that replaces the factory handguards?

If you have the bolt onto the handguards type of rail:

With an unloaded rifle pull back on the delta ring and you can remove the top and bottom handguards.
Bolt on your rail to one of the handguards.

If you have a new rail which replaces your handguards:

With an unloaded rifle.
Remove the handguards by pulling back on the delta ring and removing the upper and lower handguard.
Take complete upper off the complete lower.
Mount front of barrel in barrel blocks in a vise and remove the flash hider.
Tap out the taper pins in the gas block.
Wiggle the gas block forward toward the muzzle and remove (leave gas tube attached to it.)
Mount upper receiver in an upper receiver block in a vise and loosen the barrel nut with a barrel nut wrench and breaker bar.
Put a dab of moly grease on the new barrel nut.
Install new barrel nut and torque between 35-80ft lbs until you can get the alignment of the nut straight with the receiver. Check alignment using a barrel nut alignment gauge and the bolt carrier in the upper receiver.
Reinstall the gas block and tap taper pin back in.
Install rail to the barrel nut.
Mount barrel back into the barrel blocks in the vise and reinstall the flash hider.

If you don't own the tools to do this, it'll likely cost you about $150 or so to get them.

bullseye
09-15-08, 16:53
take my approach, send it to G&R, no worries when you get it back. it doesn't hurt a thing to let a hard-core professional take a look at the whole package..... just my thoughts.