PDA

View Full Version : best new reloading manual for AR15 (mostly 223/556)

Kaiser Mike
12-07-16, 21:10
I"m looking at a new manual. Mine are pretty ancient. Back in the 90's ancient.

I looked at the Lyman AR book. Sounds like crap. Lyman 50 may be good. It says 55 to 80gr bullets. Its also printed this year.

Sierra, last i heard, was horribly out of date and Hornady's book (by reviews) seems to have anemic loads.

I also would like a manual that's NOT using bolt guns for their testing.

What do yall have on your bench? I shoot mainly Hornady, sierra and some Nosler stuff.

As always, thanks for your time.

IraqVet1982
12-07-16, 21:19
http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

bigjohn1940
12-07-16, 21:25
I just got a copy of the new Hornady manual. So far it looks pretty good. It lists some of the newer calibers and powders. I didn't look specificaly at the 223 loads. I did notice that they do not list loads for the 25-45 Sharps. So I will just keep loading as I have. I have no interest in super hot loads.
JM

Kaiser Mike
12-07-16, 21:42
bigjohn, i agree on hot loads. I just want to know the max safe pressure for 556 in a given loading. sometimes its more accurate sometimes not. Accuracy is most important. I just want legit parameters.
Kinda like a jet. 700 mph may be safe and fine but bumpy while 600 is still fast but smooth.

Kaiser Mike
12-07-16, 21:47
iraqvet, thanks for the hodgdon suggestion. Only thing is i use multiple powders to find my loads.

For THEIR powders tho? Damn good stuff! Fairly comprehensive. Noslers sight is pretty fair as well. They only do heavy bullets for the 556 tho.

markm
12-07-16, 21:53
Manuals? We don't need no stinking manuals! :cool:

Seriously though.. I have a lyman as a baseline. But with powder lot variances.... manuals are pretty useless.

IraqVet1982
12-08-16, 04:29
If you have Android get the free app RELOADING ASSISTANT

Kaiser Mike
12-08-16, 08:41
Got it.

Curious that alliant tends to only give top pressure but not minimum. I guessimate 3 grn under top for starts.

markm
12-08-16, 11:45
Curious that alliant tends to only give top pressure but not minimum. I guessimate 3 grn under top for starts.

I'd just drop a full grain. 3 is pretty steep. Most max loads are already conservative.

masan
12-08-16, 13:14
Most max loads are already conservative.

To say the least...

Kaiser Mike
12-08-16, 19:15
From what i'm reading, the lawyers are playing havok with the manuals.
I figure give me the pressures at the given charge. I can decide what to do.

Oh crap. That requires that i be a responsible adult. What am i thinking.
:meeting:

williejc
12-08-16, 19:20
I have observed that over the decades the recommended charges have become smaller.

masan
12-08-16, 21:34
Mike, the old 10% rule is usually pretty good in these instances. Take a max load, reduce by 10%, and work up from there. If you end up over published max but are not getting pressure signs, then there should be no worries.

Kaiser Mike
12-11-16, 20:54
Thanks.

1_click_off
01-09-17, 07:31
In speaking with reloading books in general...

I have some old books from my grandpa and my dad. Sierra and Lyman. They are falling apart, but you can see the lawyers in action simply comparing the loads through the prints. Been awhile since I compared them, but there was a 1gr difference in some max 44mag loads.

Have you ever looked at the little caliber specific paperbacks in Cabelas? Mostly old data, but quite a bit of data.

bigedp51
01-10-17, 05:16
Actually you only need the newer manuals for the latest powders.

What you want to look at is the the rifle used for testing meaning the throat length for the pressure testing. The .223 loads in the manuals use the shorter .0250 throat and the AR15 loads use a .0500 throat length. So the .223 loads will generate lower pressures in the longer throated AR15 rifles.

Below look at line "N" free bore length. And the Colt A2 HBAR rifles have a throat length of .0600 and longer than the standard carbine. meaning the actual pressures will be even lower than any manual.

http://i.imgur.com/msOmURi.jpg

Below nothing is written in stone especially when it comes to throat length. My bolt action Savage .223 with a 1 in 9 twist has a .0566 throat length so go figure.

HOLLIGER ON .223/5.56 CHAMBERS
http://www.radomski.us/njhp/cart_tech.htm