PDA

View Full Version : SOLGW Barrel or something else??

ufgator
12-08-16, 17:32
I am working on my next AR build and was looking at the SOLGW 16" combat grade barrel that they currently have on sale. The rifle will be mostly used at the range and for a few tactical classes a year. With the barrel being on sale for $132, does anyone have suggestions for a better option? I have heard great things about SOLGW on this forum and thought that I would give them a try.

FWIW, I would be using a DD bolt carrier group, Geissele MK8 rail/gas block and am trying to find the Vltor A5 buffer system in stock somewhere. If I cant find that buffer system somewhere for a reasonable price, I would probably go with a mil-spec buffer tube, blue Sprinco spring, and H2 buffer.

Thanks for the help.

joeyjoe
12-08-16, 17:39
A5 receiver extension (in stock): http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Intermediate-Receiver-Extension-A5-Buffer-Tub-p/bcm-intermediate-re.htm

ufgator
12-08-16, 17:56
Thanks. Now I have to decide if the SOLGW barrel is what I should go with.

titsonritz
12-08-16, 18:46
Magpul also has an A5 RE available. https://www.magpul.com/products/magpul-enhanced-receiver-extension-sr25-m110

ufgator
12-08-16, 18:49
Thanks. I did not realize that Magpul was making receiver extensions that would work with the A5 system.

Does anyone have experience with the SOLGW 16" combat barrel. I know that it is not chrome lined or CHF but was wondering if it is pretty accurate and will hold up well? Thanks again for the help.

RobertTheTexan
12-08-16, 19:23
Magpul also has an A5 RE available. https://www.magpul.com/products/magpul-enhanced-receiver-extension-sr25-m110

I didn't know Magpul had entered the A5 or intermediate buffer tube space. I have a BCM intermediate RE tube and the only difference was it didn't have position numbers on top of the tube. Which now I'm wondering if that's meant to be that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

williejc
12-08-16, 19:40
Ufgator, the SOLGW boss man has the reputation of being helpful, up front, and friendly plus he answers his phone unlike many vendor people. Call him.

RobertTheTexan
12-08-16, 19:48
Thanks. I did not realize that Magpul was making receiver extensions that would work with the A5 system.

Does anyone have experience with the SOLGW 16" combat barrel. I know that it is not chrome lined or CHF but was wondering if it is pretty accurate and will hold up well? Thanks again for the help.

Do you have a link to the exact barrel you can share? I'd like to take a look at it.

ufgator
12-08-16, 20:02
Thanks. Ill give that a try. It is always great to have a company answer their phone. I am mostly looking at their barrels because I have read so many great things about them on this site. I always like supporting newer companies that provide great customer service. If I had not had many of the other parts for this build already, I would be buying more from them. Might go ahead and pick up an extra BGC and some miscellaneous parts to have some spare parts. They are obviously much more knowledgeable about the AR platform than I am.

Does anyone know what other companies have comparable quality barrels to theirs? Just as a reference point. The barrel and buffer system are the last 2 parts that I need to have everything for this build. Thanks.

ufgator
12-08-16, 20:05
Here is the link to the barrel that I am looking at.

https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/collections/components/products/16-barrel-mid-length-gas-system?variant=3083519937

It has a QPD finish inside and out but I am not familiar with this finishing process compared to others. I think that it is great that they include all of the specs. They seem to be very up front and go out of their way to not hide any information.

titsonritz
12-08-16, 20:11

I didn't know Magpul had entered the A5 or intermediate buffer tube space. I have a BCM intermediate RE tube and the only difference was it didn't have position numbers on top of the tube. Which now I'm wondering if that's meant to be that way.

Now Shipping! Magpul™ Enhanced Receiver Extensions (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?187770-Now-Shipping!-Magpul™-Enhanced-Receiver-Extensions&highlight=Magpul+Enhanced+Receiver+Extension)

RobertTheTexan
12-08-16, 21:21
Now Shipping! Magpul[emoji769] Enhanced Receiver Extensions (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?187770-Now-Shipping!-Magpul[emoji769]-Enhanced-Receiver-Extensions&highlight=Magpul+Enhanced+Receiver+Extension)

It's 7 pos just like Vltor, but it looks like they are using a standard carbine spring and around buffer. The A5 or intermediate springs and buffers are longer than carbine, that extra travel is part of what lets the A5 do what it's designed to do. There has to be some kind of impact to cycling if that Magpul RE tube is actually longer or did that gain the 7th position by some other means? I searched for an "Enhanced" spring and buffer, but it's either carbine or rifle on Magpul's website. Maybe Magpul intends you to use Vltors A5 buffer and spring? I do believe those two A5 components are patented. Hmm...

el_chupo_
12-08-16, 21:32
It's 7 pos just like Vltor, but it looks like they are using a standard carbine spring and around buffer. The A5 or intermediate springs and buffers are longer than carbine, that extra travel is part of what lets the A5 do what it's designed to do. There has to be some kind of impact to cycling if that Magpul RE tube is actually longer or did that gain the 7th position by some other means? I searched for an "Enhanced" spring and buffer, but it's either carbine or rifle on Magpul's website. Maybe Magpul intends you to use Vltors A5 buffer and spring? I do believe those two A5 components are patented. Hmm...

When it came out I read it as "we have two sizes", and also found it odd they were not carrying anything A5, but from the first post on that page:

Available in a 7-position AR15/M4 profile as well as a 10-position SR25/A5 profile optimized to fit with the full line of Magpul Mil-Spec carbine stocks

ETA:

post 4 clarifies again.

OP - No experience with the barrel, but I am trying to get a hold of SOLGW on a possible mistake (not sure if my end or theirs yet) on a Black Friday order, and am looking forward to using their match barrel.

Specs on the one you linked look good, but I have a hard time believing the review of 1/2" groups using surplus ammo...

MistWolf
12-08-16, 22:27
At $132 for the barrel, I would have started this thread with "Look what I got!"

The Magpul Enhanced RE has 10 positions

RobertTheTexan
12-08-16, 22:30
When it came out I read it as "we have two sizes", and also found it odd they were not carrying anything A5, but from the first post on that page:

ETA:

post 4 clarifies again.

I believe that Magpul's definition of "enhanced" is not equal to A5. I don't have a standard rifle spring, I use a Tubbs flat wire spring in my SPR, but I believe it is about same length as a rifle spring.
If you look at my pic they are both Vltor A5, one is 7 pos. One is 6 pos.
Maybe Magpul added another another hole...?http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161209/79709bfa42e2587cefdcf148d2da75aa.jpg

OP: I would get the measurements of that enhanced RE tube before I buy it and compare it to an A5/Intermediate. Because if the tube is the same as a carbine length I don't think you want to run an A5 spring or buffer in it.

RobertTheTexan
12-08-16, 22:33
For that price, I would have started this thread with "Look what I got!"

Especially being QPQ inside and out. Isn't QPQ better than chrome lined because it's more durable?
Alas I am not up to speed under the covers of barrels.
Is that true though?

ETA: I stand corrected it is not QPQ inside and out. It's QPQ outside and the feed ramps are also QPQ. But it is MPI tested. I think I'm going to buy one just for GP.

RobertTheTexan
12-08-16, 22:46
Here is the link to the barrel that I am looking at.

https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/collections/components/products/16-barrel-mid-length-gas-system?variant=3083519937

It has a QPD finish inside and out but I am not familiar with this finishing process compared to others. I think that it is great that they include all of the specs. They seem to be very up front and go out of their way to not hide any information.

I will tell you what I know which isn't a lot. First of all of you are familiar with Melonite finish you are familiar with QPQ. I believe Melonite is a branding thing for the same process.
QPQ is a process that affects the metal at the micron level, meaning it bonds with the metal at like 20-30 microns. It is a very good anti-corrosive "coating"/!: I believe it also has a lubricating factor to it.

ETA: I have done some reading on induct rial websites that perform the QPQ and they say in addition to EXCELLENT corrosive resistance, it does improve lubricity and also improves fatigue strength.
In short, it's a darn good feature when it comes to barrels is my take-away.
Ballistic Advantage, one of my go-to barrel manufactures also QPQ's their barrels.

I think from the spec side just like Mist said, he'd be saying "Look what I got!" Meaning you can't go wrong.
If you are not sure call the boss like was suggested and ask him what he compares his barrels to accuracy-wise.
I think Mist hit the nail in the head.

I'm going to their website to buy one now.

FYI I would lean towards BCM'a Intermediate RE Tube. I know for a fact it is the same specs as A5. I do not have that same comfort level with the Magpul RE.
Just my 5 cents.

nightchief
12-08-16, 22:48
[QUOTE=ufgator;2422469Does anyone have experience with the SOLGW 16" combat barrel. I know that it is not chrome lined or CHF but was wondering if it is pretty accurate and will hold up well? Thanks again for the help.[/QUOTE]

I have 16" and 11.5"...I haven't had them long enough to discuss longevity, however, with the 16" upper, it has had no issues through 200 or so rds of Wolf Gold 55gr and IMI 77gr. I have been able to shoot slightly over 2" groupings at 100 yds with the 77 gr IMI using a 5X scope. It's running with a SOLGW phosphate BCG and an A5 H1.

Finish on both barrels looks very good. M4 feed ramps in the barrel extension match with both the SOLGW (keyhole marked) upper and a Mega billet upper. I'm happy so far. Will know more after running these barreled uppers thru a class or two.

NC

556BlackRifle
12-08-16, 22:56
OP, unless you shoot at a sustained high rates of fire, that barrel will likely last for quite some time. And if it dies after 5K rounds - you only paid $132 for it! SOLGW stands behind their products and as we've seen here, has taken excellent care of the M4C community. If I was in your shoes, I'd take a chance on it.

el_chupo_
12-08-16, 23:29
I believe that Magpul's definition of "enhanced" is not equal to A5. I don't have a standard rifle spring, I use a Tubbs flat wire spring in my SPR, but I believe it is about same length as a rifle spring.
If you look at my pic they are both Vltor A5, one is 7 pos. One is 6 pos.
Maybe Magpul added another another hole...?http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161209/79709bfa42e2587cefdcf148d2da75aa.jpg

OP: I would get the measurements of that enhanced RE tube before I buy it and compare it to an A5/Intermediate. Because if the tube is the same as a carbine length I don't think you want to run an A5 spring or buffer in it.

Correct, you dont want to run an A5 spring (rifle length) or A5 buffer in a carbine length RE.

It seems you are focusing on the 7 position Ar15/M4 RE, and skipping over the 10-position SR25/A5 profile one listed. Again, check post one in the linked thread, or the follow up posts.

The A5 one is the 10 position. the 7 position one is a standard RE, just with an extra hole.

Post 10 in that thread may help as well.

Or post 67, from M4guru, a magpul employee. both clarify that it is an SR25/A5 RE.

RobertTheTexan
12-08-16, 23:55
Correct, you dont want to run an A5 spring (rifle length) or A5 buffer in a carbine length RE.

It seems you are focusing on the 7 position Ar15/M4 RE, and skipping over the 10-position SR25/A5 profile one listed. Again, check post one in the linked thread, or the follow up posts.

The A5 one is the 10 position. the 7 position one is a standard RE, just with an extra hole.

Post 10 in that thread may help as well.

Or post 67, from M4guru, a magpul employee. both clarify that it is an SR25/A5 RE.

Well duh. On that note I am going to go sleep. I am obviously not thinking straight.

And thank you.

Iraqgunz
12-09-16, 02:40
Had you bothered to research it, before pooping on Magpul, you would see they in fact make an A5 tube with 10 positions. I have one as well as the standard carbine extension that Magpul sent me, and it is top notch.

My guess is that they saw the market and realized that even with two different suppliers they cannot keep enough of them in stock.

I will tell you what I know which isn't a lot. First of all of you are familiar with Melonite finish you are familiar with QPQ. I believe Melonite is a branding thing for the same process.
QPQ is a process that affects the metal at the micron level, meaning it bonds with the metal at like 20-30 microns. It is a very good anti-corrosive "coating"/!: I believe it also has a lubricating factor to it.

ETA: I have done some reading on induct rial websites that perform the QPQ and they say in addition to EXCELLENT corrosive resistance, it does improve lubricity and also improves fatigue strength.
In short, it's a darn good feature when it comes to barrels is my take-away.
Ballistic Advantage, one of my go-to barrel manufactures also QPQ's their barrels.

I think from the spec side just like Mist said, he'd be saying "Look what I got!" Meaning you can't go wrong.
If you are not sure call the boss like was suggested and ask him what he compares his barrels to accuracy-wise.
I think Mist hit the nail in the head.

I'm going to their website to buy one now.

FYI I would lean towards BCM'a Intermediate RE Tube. I know for a fact it is the same specs as A5. I do not have that same comfort level with the Magpul RE.
Just my 5 cents.

ufgator
12-09-16, 05:35
Thank you for all of the responses to my questions. Really appreciate all of the help from people with much more knowledge than myself. I ordered the barrel and a green spring from SOLGW and should be ready to assembly my new rifle when all of the parts that I have ordered deliver. Here is what I will be building. I will post some pics when it is complete.

Spikes Tactical upper and lower
Vltor A5 Receiver Extension
Sprinco Green spring
Vltor A5H2 buffer
Vltor EMOD stock
Daniel Defense BCG
Geissele SSA trigger
Geissele MK8 15" rail with gas block
SOLGW 16" combat barrel
ALG Lower parts kit
Magpul MOE+ grip

RobertTheTexan
12-09-16, 06:58
Had you bothered to research it, before pooping on Magpul, you would see they in fact make an A5 tube with 10 positions. I have one as well as the standard carbine extension that Magpul sent me, and it is top notch.

My guess is that they saw the market and realized that even with two different suppliers they cannot keep enough of them in stock.

IG I wasn't trying to poop on Magpul, I don't think I said anything derogatory, if it sounds that way it's not meant that way. I try not to be that guy that bashes the good guys. My mistake came when I clicked on the 10 position link in the other post and saw that it said "SR25/M110" on the page I landed and having already looked at the 7 position tube, I just thought that the 7 = M4 and 10=SR25. My mistake for not catching the 10 pos tube was the SR25/M110/A5 tube. And the when Chupo pointed it out I felt like a dummy for missing something that was kinda obvious.
Sorry if it came across that way, wasn't my purpose. I bought a 10 pos. last night.

556BlackRifle
12-09-16, 09:44
Robert, it's an easy mistake to make. When I looked at the sight for the first time back when the announcement was made by Duane, I wasn't sure and had to read it again.

556BlackRifle
12-09-16, 09:48
Thank you for all of the responses to my questions. Really appreciate all of the help from people with much more knowledge than myself. I ordered the barrel and a green spring from SOLGW and should be ready to assembly my new rifle when all of the parts that I have ordered deliver. Here is what I will be building. I will post some pics when it is complete.

Sprinco Green spring
Vltor A5H2 buffer
Vltor EMOD stock
Daniel Defense BCG
Geissele SSA trigger
SOLGW 16" combat barrel
ALG Lower parts kit
Magpul MOE+ grip

No comment on the first items... But everything else looks great. I hope you enjoy your new rifle!

el_chupo_
12-09-16, 10:21
Well duh. On that note I am going to go sleep. I am obviously not thinking straight.

And thank you.

Robert, it's an easy mistake to make. When I looked at the sight for the first time back when the announcement was made by Duane, I wasn't sure and had to read it again.

Yeah, these things happen...

ufgator, dont forget to let us know how it shoots too!

titsonritz
12-09-16, 10:58

Sprinco Green spring
Vltor A5H2 buffer
Vltor EMOD stock
Daniel Defense BCG
Geissele SSA trigger
SOLGW 16" combat barrel
ALG Lower parts kit
Magpul MOE+ grip

No comment on the first items... But everything else looks great. I hope you enjoy your new rifle!

Agreed, although I would have gone with a Vltor A5H3 or A5H4 buffer.

RobertTheTexan
12-09-16, 11:19
Agreed, although I would have gone with a Vltor A5H3 or A5H4 buffer.

ToR,
Can you elaborate please? I am running an H4 in my 14.5 mid, but I literally have to or it doesn't cycle properly. My other AR's have H1's and 2's (all A5 except my SPR wish is a rifle buffer)
Is it for more reliable cycling? Reduce impact wear? Or whatever the right term is?

RobertTheTexan
12-09-16, 11:34

It didn't help that I was reading all the posts on my dang phone...but thanks bro. I'm looking forward to getting the Magpul tube though. It's even priced pretty competitively.

=ufgator;2422675] I ordered the barrel and a green spring from SOLGW and should be ready to assembly my new rifle when all of the parts that I have ordered deliver. Here is what I will be building. I will post some pics when it is complete.

I've never used a Spikes upper or lower before, but it looks like you have a pretty good parts list. Be sure to post some pics in one of the build forums and a range report.

JDR556
02-07-17, 20:16
Deleted

ufgator
02-11-17, 15:15
I finally finished building this rifle. I ended up with a BCM upper that was price matched to the Spikes upper. Hopefully I will have a chance to shoot it soon.

RobertTheTexan
02-11-17, 16:33
I finally finished building this rifle. I ended up with a BCM upper that was price matched to the Spikes upper. Hopefully I will have a chance to shoot it soon.

Are you going moist in the custom build thread?