PDA

View Full Version : Titanium gas block

AAMP84
12-09-16, 12:15
Are there any advantages to a titanium gas block over a steel one? I understand the weight savings if building a lightweight rifle. But I've seen people talk about the thermal expansion rate of titanium being less than steel and creating a tighter gas seal when the barrel heats up. Is there merit to this argument, or is it just an anecdotal statement/marketing hype?

Beef15
12-09-16, 15:01
They're pretty, they're light, and at worst mine seals as well as any steel one I've used. Never noticed any leakage and the gun functions fine.

Defaultmp3
12-09-16, 15:05
But I've seen people talk about the thermal expansion rate of titanium being less than steel and creating a tighter gas seal when the barrel heats up. Is there merit to this argument, or is it just an anecdotal statement/marketing hype?I've heard that any serious use would lead to the the carbon fouling would seal a steel gas block anyway, making the tighter gas seal argument to be of limited utility.

Singlestack Wonder
12-09-16, 15:09
The weight difference is negligible. Don't waste the money.....

AAMP84
12-09-16, 15:57
I've heard that any serious use would lead to the the carbon fouling would seal a steel gas block anyway, making the tighter gas seal argument to be of limited utility.

Thanks for the info. The way people always say that about titanium gas blocks made it seam like gas leakage is more common than I thought.

AAMP84
12-09-16, 15:58
The weight difference is negligible. Don't waste the money.....

I agree, I was more curious about the thermal expansion statement.

GH41
12-09-16, 16:40
Better gas seal??? I'll quote HRC... "What difference does it make?" Neither end of the tube is sealed. I am sure somewhere in Stoner's notes he took a few leaks into consideration.

Mr. Goodtimes
12-09-16, 18:00
Are there any advantages to a titanium gas block over a steel one? I understand the weight savings if building a lightweight rifle. But I've seen people talk about the thermal expansion rate of titanium being less than steel and creating a tighter gas seal when the barrel heats up. Is there merit to this argument, or is it just an anecdotal statement/marketing hype?

The biggest advantage I could see with a titanium gas block is mostly from a manufacturing and sales standpoint... it should be an extremely efficient way to transfer money from the consumers wallet to the manufacturers/dealers bank account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3M-TA3
12-09-16, 22:23
Don't know if the gas blocks are coated or not, but when I used to make titanium aircraft parts we had to handle them with gloved hands as they could be damaged by the salt in our skin oils.

redmist
12-09-16, 23:52
Weight and corrosion resistance is the key to titanium. It's a better solution over steel, and a gas block is a perfect place for titanium.

That's why the gas block on current belt fed systems is titanium.

Dave L.
12-10-16, 00:27
I've got an SLR adjustable Ti Gas block and it's had no issues. It's a really nice piece too. I put it on a BCM ELW BFH barrel- the point was light weight. For normal use, I still buy stainless or oxide/coated stainless. I'll only use carbon steel gas blocks when it's a cut down FSB.

Mr. Goodtimes
12-10-16, 09:42
On a serious note, I've got a titanium pot that I use for backpacking and it doesn't hold heat worth a shit... if you don't have it constantly exposed to direct heat, it won't boil water.... so I would think in some way that would be a good characteristic for a gas block.... or anything you don't want to stay hot for that matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk