PDA

View Full Version : Kirk "Spartacus" Douglas turns 100

WillBrink
12-10-16, 08:18
Best known as Spartacus, he made many classic movies. As a kid, to me he was what a man and movie star should look and act like. His son is a solid actor too, but Kirk in one of a kind. Dude is a mans man, not the androgynous skinny jeans wearin' twinks we have today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcIMY1Ah3aw

Kirk Douglas Turns 100: A Tribute to the Screen Legend and 6 Essential Movies

Douglas once boasted that he made his career playing sons of bitches. This is not quite accurate. What is true is that he was a star who didn’t much care about cultivating a sympathetic persona. Mostly he played tenacious guys, like the real-life gladiator-hero that led a slave uprising against Rome in Spartacus. Or like Jonathan Shields, the opportunistic producer estranged from friends and lovers in The Bad and the Beautiful. Or Vincent van Gogh, the moody post-Impressionist who pushes away those who care for him in Lust for Life.

Cont:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/kirk-douglas-turns-100-a-tribute-to-the-screen-legend-and-6-essential-movies-161716374.html

Pilot1
12-10-16, 09:19
Check out the 1947 "film noir" movie "Out of the Past, with Kirk, and Robert Mitchum.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-10-16, 09:39
I get Michael, but when you say "sons" which other sons are solid actors?

WillBrink
12-10-16, 09:43
I get Michael, but when you say "sons" which other sons are solid actors?

I meant Michael.

Co-gnARR
12-10-16, 10:44
One of my favorite movies, both with Kirk, and just overall, is "Paths of Glory". Kirk nails the ending with his delivery. Won't say anymore for those who have yet to watch this classic.

Firefly
12-10-16, 12:35
I thought he was dead.

My favorite Kirk film was Tough Guys. IIRC it was him and Burt Lancaster and they got out of jail together after 40 years. They were bank robbers and it was a comedy.

I like where he shoves ice cream in a fat kids face and then there's a scene where he shoots at some guys with an UZI and says "Gee, where were you 40 years ago?"

Ned Christiansen
12-10-16, 13:47
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea-- great when I was a kid and no less so when I was it again last year.

I confess to not having figured out the title until a few years ago. I thought for the longest time, those dolts, didn't they know that there is nothing, but nothing, that would go that deep and anyway there is no place on this planet where the sea is that deep!?

Finally I realized what I reckon everyone else knew upon reading the title: We have traveled a great distance, 20,000 leagues in fact, whilst under the surface of the sea. Duh on me.

But agreed, a great actor start to finish. Made a great good guy and a good bad guy on occasion. Happy birthday to you Kirk!

Spurholder
12-10-16, 18:26
If you've never seen The Heroes of Telemark, it's a solid WWII movie that covers SOE/Norwegian Underground's attempts to slow heavy water production. There's some dramatic license taken, but a good film regardless, with Douglas playing a physics professor turned Resistance leader.

SomeOtherGuy
12-10-16, 21:11
I can't believe he's still kicking either.

Amusing performance in Vikings - not historically accurate, but good 1950's Hollywood.

JC5188
12-11-16, 06:27
I thought he was dead.

My favorite Kirk film was Tough Guys. IIRC it was him and Burt Lancaster and they got out of jail together after 40 years. They were bank robbers and it was a comedy.

I like where he shoves ice cream in a fat kids face and then there's a scene where he shoots at some guys with an UZI and says "Gee, where were you 40 years ago?"

Thanks for reminding me of this one. I was trying to remember the name of it myself. Shoulda known FF would know it...[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuckman
12-12-16, 14:12
...I am Spartacus :)

Dienekes
12-12-16, 19:26
There is another "Telemark" movie, I believe on You Tube, made in Norway about 1948, more accurate, featuring some of the actual commandos.

Of course, I've seen Douglas' version about 100 times, like every body else.

titsonritz
12-13-16, 11:24
Lomax...one of the few people to shoot the Duke and live.

Averageman
12-13-16, 12:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohrzfr3BI6U
This was one of my favorites...
Ann Margret in her prime.

WillBrink
12-13-16, 13:30
One of my favorite of end of the western westerns was Lonely Are the Brave. Some great one liners and dialogue in that movie. The end of the cowboy open range and free man as we knew it when "civilization" took over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmBm-jT0VJY

soulezoo
12-13-16, 15:25
Well since "War Wagon" and "The Villian" references were already taken, I'll mention "In Harm's Way".

"The Villain" ; Governator>Governor Handsome Stranger

austinN4
12-13-16, 15:56
One of my favorite of end of the western westerns was Lonely Are the Brave.

Are you into those? I am and have a favs list. Maybe a separate thread?

Falar
12-14-16, 00:02
I thought he was dead.

I love that move as well.

WillBrink
12-14-16, 08:52
Are you into those? I am and have a favs list. Maybe a separate thread?

List of westerns that look at the end of the west?

austinN4
12-14-16, 09:45
List of westerns that look at the end of the west?

I would call it the end of the cowboy era with movies such as Tom Horn, The Wild Bunch, Monte Walsh, Will Penny, Ride The High Country, The Shootist, Hombre, etc.

WillBrink
12-14-16, 10:41
I would call it the end of the cowboy era with movies such as Tom Horn, The Wild Bunch, Monte Walsh, Will Penny, Ride The High Country, The Shootist, Hombre, etc.

Ah, got it. There are some classics of that niche genre.