PDA

View Full Version : PWS MOD 2 feedback...Anyone here shoot one?

MSparks909
12-11-16, 01:40
Title is pretty self explanatory. Interested if anyone on here has first hand experience with the PWS Mod 2 rifles. Specifically the MK116 (16" gun). Considering picking one up to give piston systems a try. I've seen a few reviews on YouTube but I take those with a grain of salt. This thread is NOT for piston bashing nor is it for suggesting other rifles. I already own high quality DI guns (KAC, BCM, DD) and am merely interested in a high quality piston AR.

Not interested in a HK, LWRC or LMT. Just the PWS.

Would love to hear feedback both positive and negative if you have any!

Torquetard
12-31-16, 21:00
+Lightweight for piston
+accurate
+barrel will last forever

Can't go wrong with it but the gas settings are pretty dumb. There are only 3 compared to the Mod 1's four. First setting is for all types of ammo, unsuppressed... and is way over-gassed. Setting 2 is officially for suppressed only w/ standard ammo, but will eject loud M193 brass perfectly. Setting 3 is for suppressed w/ hot ammo. The only thing I can think of is they put the 1st setting there for shooting movie blanks.

Benito
12-31-16, 22:54
What is it about the barrel that will make it last forever?

Benito
12-31-16, 23:17
Double post. Pls delete

Joe Mamma
01-01-17, 20:24
What is it about the barrel that will make it last forever?

I'm not Torquetard, but he's probably referring to the melonite (nitride) treatment of the barrel.

Joe Mamma

witchking777
01-02-17, 10:18
I just got one and love it! I had a really nice BCM/Geissele midlength that I built that was fantastic,I sold it to try the PWS and I'm glad I did. The finish is top notch,I prefer the nitride coating to chrome lined,it's more accurate,I can cut paper with 55 gr ball ammo at 50 yds with my red dot. It's not front heavy at all like an MR556,SCAR16,or ACR. I just swapped the grip to a Magpul K2 and the stock to a Magpul SL-S with the extended buttpad. I want to get a suppressor in the future,I needed something with adjustable gas settings.

witchking777
01-02-17, 10:20
Felt recoil was just a tad more than my A5 system on the midlength,however muzzle rise was virtually nonexistent with the fsc556 mod 2.

nate89
01-02-17, 12:11
We had PWS at a demo day we host every year back in June. They had a Mod. 2 there and I got to give it a try. As a lefty, the lower is very appealing, and all controls worked well. It is very lightweight, especially for a piston gun, and not front heavy like the Sig and HK samples I have tried. I didn't mess with the gas settings, so I can't comment on those. Overall I think it is a solid gun, and something I am looking at getting in the future. We also have a Mod. 1 300 BLK SBR as a rental gun on the range, and it has worked very well with and without a can.

I think the Mod 2 comes with more features and is much more appealing than the Mod. 1 was. Ambi controls, better trigger, better furniture and forend, etc.

Torquetard
01-09-17, 15:53
I'm not Torquetard, but he's probably referring to the melonite (nitride) treatment of the barrel.

Joe Mamma
Thats correct.

Also I'd like to clarify about the gas settings. I only have the upper- when i ran it with pws's h2 buffer on a carbine length spring, unsuppressed gas position, I was getting around a 2 o'clock ejection. Then after looking at my factory mod 1, it has a spring that's a little longer than a carbine length, in fact it's the exact length as a jp extra power buffer spring.

Threw in said JP spring, changed the gas to the middle (suppressed) position, and have been getting dead nuts consistent 4 o'clock brass w/ factory stuff thats loaded to ~m193. My guess is that if I put the gas back to the recommended 1st slot it'll shoot right out around 3:00. Regardless it still locks back and shoots as fast as the trigger can be pulled.

And with about 1200 thru the pipe it's ran flawlessly and will shoot moa w/ cheap factory ammo. Its soft shooting, very easy to keep flat, and i really like it. Its worth noting that the 14" has a carbine length, whereas the 16" has a mid-length system. Compared to the Mod 1's carbine length it's a bit smoother too.