PDA

View Full Version : Burrs on my bolt carrier

Chappy1976
12-11-16, 16:07

Found this while cleaning my AR. Should I file it down and then sand it? Any advice would be great!

JC5188
12-11-16, 16:25

Found this while cleaning my AR. Should I file it down and then sand it? Any advice would be great!

Hard to tell on my phone, but I don't see anything worth worrying about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

556BlackRifle
12-11-16, 17:01
I can't tell from that pic. A better pic that can be enlarged would be helpful.

Ryno12
12-11-16, 17:02
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161211/7a8e053e9bab9a1168514d9f42d25c19.png

Chappy1976
12-11-16, 19:07

Let me know if this pic is better.

markm
12-11-16, 19:13
Looks like something mashed that carrier. But it shouldn't have any impact on the gun's performance or function. That part doesn't touch the inside of the upper.

3 AE
12-12-16, 19:47
From the first photo posted, I would be more concerned with the staking job on the gas key. It appears as if they staked it at the top of the key instead of from the side of the key to push the metal into the side of the screw heads. Not the best method. Maybe a better photo would help clarify if that is the case.

markm
12-12-16, 20:11
From the first photo posted, I would be more concerned with the staking job on the gas key.

Yeah... I didn't want to open that can of worms. This site is cuckoo on key staking. But that method isn't worth a shit.

sevenhelmet
12-12-16, 20:57
Yeah... I didn't want to open that can of worms. This site is cuckoo on key staking. But that method isn't worth a shit.

You're absolutely right. Not just key staking though. I once proudly posted a picture of a rifle I had just assembled that afternoon, and all I got back was: "You forgot to stake the castle nut."

Whomp whomp whomp... :suicide:

I'm all for attention to detail, but this forum can be worse than a murderboard sometimes. It does tend to discourage the BS you see on "other sites" though.

TomMcC
12-13-16, 02:31

We wouldn't want the poor fellow's rifle to bite the big one. The staking is sub-optimal.

hk_shootr
12-13-16, 06:37

Seems to be a marginal quality bcg. That "divit" can be easily filed and sanded, hit is with some Oxo and call it a day.
Don't think the gas key can be properly restaked. Run it till it leaks, if it's a range gun. If it must be reliable, I'd replace it now and stake properly

26 Inf
12-13-16, 10:22
You're absolutely right. Not just key staking though. I once proudly posted a picture of a rifle I had just assembled that afternoon, and all I got back was: "You forgot to stake the castle nut."

Whomp whomp whomp... :suicide:

I'm all for attention to detail, but this forum can be worse than a murderboard sometimes. It does tend to discourage the BS you see on "other sites" though.

It gets worse - if you have The Black Rifle look and page 70 and see how Eugene Stoner and crew staked them. OMG! From the top! And pussy little divots, too!

Seriously, here is the page 3-28 from the TM:

How did we get from here to this obsession we have with 'quality stakes' and staking tools. I ask that of my self as I use the MOACKS the stake the carrier key bolts. ;)

TomMcC
12-13-16, 10:55
It gets worse - if you have The Black Rifle look and page 70 and see how Eugene Stoner and crew staked them. OMG! From the top! And pussy little divots, too!

Seriously, here is the page 3-28 from the TM:

How did we get from here to this obsession we have with 'quality stakes' and staking tools. I ask that of my self as I use the MOACKS the stake the carrier key bolts. ;)

Because we're all trying to find and use a better mouse trap. We're a bunch of gear heads. Not sure it's an obsession, I think of it more like a bunch of really into guns guys wanting to be thorough and have the best chance at success.

26 Inf
12-13-16, 11:15
Because we're all trying to find and use a better mouse trap. We're a bunch of gear heads. Not sure it's an obsession, I think of it more like a bunch of really into guns guys wanting to be thorough and have the best chance at success.

I can agree with that. Although you have to admit that their is a lot of elitism associated with the whole deal from some folks.

Ryno12
12-13-16, 11:37
How did we get from here to this obsession we have with 'quality stakes' and staking tools.

It's called evolution. Not everything was done, or engineered, perfectly right from the onset.

HeruMew
12-13-16, 11:44
Halp mai BcG izn't Steaked!

https://www.rainierarms.com/media/product/392/adams-arms-piston-conversion-kit-midlength-mps-d-ada-by-adams-arms-6ce.jpg

In all seriousness, that little burr looks fine.

Clean it up if you want, but that shouldn't cause any damage to the inside of the upper or tube.

TomMcC
12-13-16, 16:39
I can agree with that. Although you have to admit that their is a lot of elitism associated with the whole deal from some folks.

Yeah, some folks are wise guys and tough on the new guy.