PDA

View Full Version : Storing ammo in safe

bubba04
12-11-16, 19:17
Does anyone store ammo in their gun safe? I have read conflicting lines of thought on if this is a good idea or not.

SeriousStudent
12-11-16, 19:53
If you have only enough ammo that you can keep it in your gun safe, you are doing it wrong. ;)

Having said that, I do keep a couple of "ready mags" in two of my safes. But the vast majority of my ammo is either in GI ammo cans arranged on shelves, or in the original shipping cases on shelves.

Are you worried about the danger of cooking off ammo in a house fire?

bubba04
12-11-16, 19:55
That's what I read could happen, but since it's not in a chamber I don't see how it be hazardous. I cannot store all my ammo on the safes, but my biggest fear is a smash and grab of My ammo. I am not too worried about anyone getting into the safe.

I recently picked up a slew of GI cans and now I store them stacked at the bottom of the safe with rifles resting on top.

If you have only enough ammo that you can keep it in your gun safe, you are doing it wrong. ;)

Having said that, I do keep a couple of "ready mags" in two of my safes. But the vast majority of my ammo is either in GI ammo cans arranged on shelves, or in the original shipping cases on shelves.

Are you worried about the danger of cooking off ammo in a house fire?

markm
12-11-16, 20:07
I use 7.62 ammo cans (full of 5.56 ammo) in the bottom of my safe so that the ARs are long enough to fit into the barrel dividers.

bubba04
12-11-16, 20:09
I use 7.62 ammo cans (full of 5.56 ammo) in the bottom of my safe so that the ARs are long enough to fit into the barrel dividers.

Right on that's similar to what I am doing.

I wouldn't mind living in a world where all my mags and ammo were stored in a safe.

Kansaswoodguy
12-11-16, 22:04
Idk I started to store powder in one of my safes and latter decided I just created a 600lb bomb in my bedroom. I like to keep it in a plastic tote with some desiccant in the tote with it in a cool dry place in my current house about the best I can do is under the bed in one of those long flat plastic totes. I have no basement. If you only had a couple lbs of powder on hand in the safe might be fine it just didn't sit well with me after I thought about it a bit. I do store some ammo in the safe mostly for ease of access if needed in a hurry. I live in the country and that happens more often than one might think.

TAZ
12-11-16, 22:10
Living in an apartment has made me store my ammo in my safe. I do the same as markm. Ammo on bottom with long guns resting atop for the most part. I don't shoot as much as used to so my safe has enough room. Am considering a locker type set up if I pick up my training and need to buy more bulk. I mainly do it as a theft deterrent so when maintenance staff comes in they don't freak or borrow stuff.

darr3239
12-12-16, 00:31
Ammo won't fit in either of my two safes. I keep it, mostly in military ammo cans, locked in office cabinets.

bighawk
12-12-16, 00:57
I have a fairly large safe and I have enough ammo in my safe to cover the few training classes I take yearly and regular range trips for a few years. It is all split into ammo cans by caliber and weight and stacked neatly on one side and a few stacked under all of my AR's to raise them into the barrel dividers.

I had plans to buy a few more guns and some gear when I was shopping for a safe so I purchased one big enough to fit all of my guns, ammo, gear and other valuables in while still having room for a few more guns or ammo if I decide I need anything else down the road.

Bimmer
12-12-16, 21:57
Does anyone store ammo in their gun safe?

No.

Like somebody else said, I keep many loaded mags in the safe in case the SHTF, but the bulk of my ammo is in old file cabinets.

I know it's expensive and precious to us, but ammo is so heavy and so difficult to hawk that no "smash-and-grab" thief is going to take it.

Kain
12-12-16, 22:04
I, at one time many moons ago, could store all my guns, ammo, and mags, and other gear, in my safe with room to spare. Now, I can barely get three quarters of my guns in that safe, forget the ammo, mags, and other gear. That said, I do do like markm and use a ammo can to lift my ARs up to reach the dividers and I never had an issue storing my ammo in it. I store more of my ammo in ammo cans though, not overly concerned about them getting stolen since it is hard to smash and grab a ton of lead. I do have a cabinet with a spam can of ammo in the bottom just to make it more bottom heavy though. Doesn't interfere with storing guns in it either so there is that.