PDA

View Full Version : First post / purchase question

stdntDrvr
12-12-16, 10:34
I'm in the market for a complete AR and have my eye on either a DD v11 or Barrett Rec7 DI. I really like everything I've read about the DD, but the handguard on the Barrett looks much nicer to me. The Barrett also comes with BUIS, which will save some money. In shopping around for these, it appears that the Barrett is around $100 - $150 more. Unfortunately, there really isn't anything out there on the Barrett for me to research. Most of the articles are either on the piston Rec7.

This is going to be my one and only until I can puchase all of the parts to build my own, which will probably take all of 2017 to do. I just want to have one reliable rifle for plinking and the usual SHTF. If anyone out there owns a Rec7 and could provide me with feedback (good or bad), it would be geatly appreciated. I'm looking to purchase in a month, but I'm really torn on which rifle to get.

Thanks all!

mballz23
12-12-16, 10:50
Both are nice rifles. They're going to even out. The Barrett isn't going to save you money by having irons on, if it's 150 dollars more, seeing as you can put irons on a DD for less than that. Have you looked at BCM complete rifles since you're looking at Keymod? I would be more inclined to say rail lock up would be better on the DD than the the Barrett. Solely based on DDs rail reputation. However, I can't really say as the Barrett has zero information about the barrel nut and how the rail interfaces. BCM's rail lock up in my opinion is second to none with the locking lug up top instead of below like most rails. Might want to look at them as well, just to give you another option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpoe88
12-12-16, 10:51
I'm in the market for a complete AR and have my eye on either a DD v11 or Barrett Rec7 DI. I really like everything I've read about the DD, but the handguard on the Barrett looks much nicer to me. The Barrett also comes with BUIS, which will save some money. In shopping around for these, it appears that the Barrett is around $100 - $150 more. Unfortunately, there really isn't anything out there on the Barrett for me to research. Most of the articles are either on the piston Rec7.

This is going to be my one and only until I can puchase all of the parts to build my own, which will probably take all of 2017 to do. I just want to have one reliable rifle for plinking and the usual SHTF. If anyone out there owns a Rec7 and could provide me with feedback (good or bad), it would be geatly appreciated. I'm looking to purchase in a month, but I'm really torn on which rifle to get.

Thanks all!

Colt 6720/6920 and aimpoint pro. Cannot go wrong. You'll save some $$ in the long run for the build you want. You'll be more Jan happy. Willing to bet most posts will concur.

C4IGrant
12-12-16, 10:53

Thanks all!

The Barrett isn't really known for their AR's. So I would stick with DD or BCM.

C4

Mr. Goodtimes
12-12-16, 10:54
I'd buy a DD. The hand guard on the Barrett isn't any nicer. DD makes some of the best rails on the market. Plus the DD has a hammer forged barrel vs the stainless one on the Barrett. Or for just a little more you can buy a KAC and all you have to do is throw an optic on it. If you're only going to do it once you may as well do it right.

stdntDrvr
12-12-16, 11:00
The BCM RECCE 16 KMR-A looks like a nice rifle, and to be honest I don't know much about them. I'll add them to the list and reseach. I've read that many people here do recommend them.

The thing that has stopped me from looking at colt is the lack of a smooth top. I'm looking to get an MRO as my optic.

Thank you both for the suggestions!

stdntDrvr
12-12-16, 11:02
The Barrett isn't really known for their AR's. So I would stick with DD or BCM.

C4

thank you for the info! that's the kind of info I need. If their AR platform isn't up there with others and they're simply relying on their name, I will go with someone else.

Thanks!

stdntDrvr
12-12-16, 11:03
I'd buy a DD. The hand guard on the Barrett isn't any nicer. DD makes some of the best rails on the market. Plus the DD has a hammer forged barrel vs the stainless one on the Barrett. Or for just a little more you can buy a KAC and all you have to do is throw an optic on it. If you're only going to do it once you may as well do it right.

I have seriously thought about getting a KAC...it's one of the things I'm fighting myselft over. The cheapest I've found one is $650 more than the DD, though...and that's a pretty large difference.

mballz23
12-12-16, 11:10
The BCM RECCE 16 KMR-A looks like a nice rifle, and to be honest I don't know much about them. I'll add them to the list and reseach. I've read that many people here do recommend them.

The thing that has stopped me from looking at colt is the lack of a smooth top. I'm looking to get an MRO as my optic.

Thank you both for the suggestions!

What do you mean lack of a smooth top? You're going to mount the MRO on the receiver. A 6920 has a flat top receiver.

stdntDrvr
12-12-16, 11:14
What do you mean lack of a smooth top? You're going to mount the MRO on the receiver. A 6920 has a flat top receiver.

non-FSB? I'd like something with a smooth handguard. They may make one, I honestly don't know...I really haven't looked into them at all.

seedubs1
12-12-16, 11:46
Colt makes an OEM model of the 6920 with a LPGB. Install the rail and stock of your choice, and you have one hell of a nice rifle. Buy what you want/need, and don't waste money on what you don't. Those OEM models are really the way to go IMO.

non-FSB? I'd like something with a smooth handguard. They may make one, I honestly don't know...I really haven't looked into them at all.

jstalford
12-12-16, 12:08
Le6920 oem2 or this:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=750-790-BFH

Jpoe88
12-12-16, 12:21
Le6920 oem2 or this:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=750-790-BFH

Thank God someone recommended a Colt besides me. If I were the OP, that's what I'd do. Save up and get the rail I want later. Get a quality shooting gun. Let it evolve as your shooting demands it

stdntDrvr
12-12-16, 12:37
That oem2 looks good

Uprange41
12-12-16, 12:52
If you're just dead set against an FSB, then I'd look to either a BCM KMR RECCE-16, any of the DD's, Colt's new 6960 or a 6920 OEM-2 with a C4, or if it's on the table, an SR15...

But if you were a buddy, I'd tell you to just buy a standard 6920 or BCM Mid-16, and save the fancy shit for down the road when you actually know exactly what you need. That way your choice will be driven by your personal experience, and will likely be the best setup for you.

556BlackRifle
12-12-16, 19:16
I agree with the other guys on either a Colt or BCM. That BCM Recce 16 looks pretty nice. So nice in fact that I think that's the way I'd go if I were in your shoes.

seb5
12-12-16, 21:04
If I was going to buy an AR now I would buy another BCM, my personal favorite. If I couldn't I'd buy Colt or LMT. Buy it, learn it, shoot it. Then decide if you want or need a high end but not really anymore useful AR like KAC, Larue, or Noveske. I either have or had all listed but prefer my BCM's to all for anything but real precision shooting.

Piston10
12-12-16, 21:55
Buy KAC and you won't regret it one bit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Mr. Goodtimes
12-12-16, 22:02
I have seriously thought about getting a KAC...it's one of the things I'm fighting myselft over. The cheapest I've found one is $650 more than the DD, though...and that's a pretty large difference.

You have to look at what else you're getting though, that the DD or other similarly priced options don't have. Without getting into the proprietary things about the SR-15 that make it better it has an LMT SOPMOD stock, QDC flash hider, KAC BUIS, KAC two stage trigger. The QDC flash hider means nothing unless you're going to mount a KAC QDC can but if you are, it saves you the cost of a mount.

- LMT SOPMOD STOCK: $ 199.00
-KAC BUIS: approx $300
- KAC 2 Stage Trigger: $323.25

stdntDrvr
12-12-16, 23:33
Yeah, I've been looking at the KAC all day...it does come with a lot of great features, and there's the whole 'buy once, cry once' thing.

JNG3
12-13-16, 07:43
OP it's your money, blow it as you wish. Colt OEM is what you need. Install the furniture you want. Or buy a BCM lower and upper, install furniture you want. For the record, I own nothing that is Colt and nothing from BCM other than a detachable carry handle so no brand worshipping here.

Cincinnatus15
12-13-16, 08:38
OP - In my opinion, a Colt 6920 w/ an Aimpoint PRO, sling of your choice (I have a vtac on mine), and a white light (surfire fury mounted with IWC TMC) is a great way to go for a reliable do it all type rifle. Why do you need rails? What's wrong with the stock buttstock? If this is a rifle for home defense/shtf this set up fits the bill and doesn't break the bank. It's also lightweight. As others have said, in the future you can add to it or buy other things as you see fit but for a defensive carbine, this set up works well for me, and I imagine it would for you too.

Clint Smith from this morning on the subject: https://youtu.be/QbZesay9hAQ

Rogue556
12-13-16, 10:58
KAC makes a solid rifle, but I'd stay away for your first rifle simply because they use proprietary parts (bolt and barrel). Having the ability to use standard AR/M4 parts for your only AR makes too much sense. Now, you will surely want another eventually and then you could add a KAC to the lineup, but only when you know what it is you want out of it. I'll jump on the bandwagon and say Colt as well for a first rifle, but I'd skip the 6920 with the pointlessly heavy government profile barrel and go with a 6720 with the lightweight barrel. Accuracy between the two rifles is close enough for all practical purposes and the 6720 would save you pointless weight. Add an Aimpoint Pro (or Aimpoint T1/T2 for a little more), a light/mount, and sling and you'd be set. Colt 6720s can be found for $850-$900, Aimpoint Pro - $400 (sometimes less) Surefire G2X Tactical - $55, IWC cantilever light mount - $60, Blue Force Gear sling $80. That's a complete setup rifle for sub $1,500. With the money left over you could buy 1,000 rounds of ammo and a ten pack of magazines and still be under the cost of a KAC rifle. Then use that ammo to run the rifle and figure out what you do or don't like about it.

contax_shooter
12-13-16, 11:06
You have to look at what else you're getting though, that the DD or other similarly priced options don't have. Without getting into the proprietary things about the SR-15 that make it better it has an LMT SOPMOD stock, QDC flash hider, KAC BUIS, KAC two stage trigger. The QDC flash hider means nothing unless you're going to mount a KAC QDC can but if you are, it saves you the cost of a mount.

- LMT SOPMOD STOCK: $ 199.00
-KAC BUIS: approx $300
- KAC 2 Stage Trigger: $323.25

16" Mod 2 doesn't come with a SOPMOD stock.

stdntDrvr
12-13-16, 22:42
KAC makes a solid rifle, but I'd stay away for your first rifle simply because they use proprietary parts (bolt and barrel). Having the ability to use standard AR/M4 parts for your only AR makes too much sense. Now, you will surely want another eventually and then you could add a KAC to the lineup, but only when you know what it is you want out of it. I'll jump on the bandwagon and say Colt as well for a first rifle, but I'd skip the 6920 with the pointlessly heavy government profile barrel and go with a 6720 with the lightweight barrel. Accuracy between the two rifles is close enough for all practical purposes and the 6720 would save you pointless weight. Add an Aimpoint Pro (or Aimpoint T1/T2 for a little more), a light/mount, and sling and you'd be set. Colt 6720s can be found for $850-$900, Aimpoint Pro - $400 (sometimes less) Surefire G2X Tactical - $55, IWC cantilever light mount - $60, Blue Force Gear sling $80. That's a complete setup rifle for sub $1,500. With the money left over you could buy 1,000 rounds of ammo and a ten pack of magazines and still be under the cost of a KAC rifle. Then use that ammo to run the rifle and figure out what you do or don't like about it.

Why not just go ahead and buy the KAC, though? Not trying to be combative, just curious.

SonOfAGunn
12-14-16, 20:53
Daniel Defense DDM4-V7 (https://danieldefense.com/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v7tm.html) if you're ok with M-Lok. That rifle is dreamy! Can be had for about $1500.

Wake27
12-14-16, 23:38
Why not just go ahead and buy the KAC, though? Not trying to be combative, just curious.

Agreed. Buy the KAC and if they're as good as everyone says, just stay buying KACs. No need for standard ARs.

Mr. Goodtimes
12-15-16, 05:32
16" Mod 2 doesn't come with a SOPMOD stock.

You might want to double check that... My 16in Mod 2 that came with a SOPMOD stock begs to differ. The Keymod version comes with a SOPMOD, the MLOK version comes with a Magpul stock.

st0ny3mu
12-15-16, 10:29
If money is tight and you want to be able to shoot it, instead of just looking at it colt is a great choice. You really can't go wrong with any ar mentioned, but with the colt you can buy a qd mount for the mro (I Recommend larue), the mro, buis and ammo for the price of a bcm/dd. I'm fairly new to ars myself, but I've had the chance to shoot a lot of different ars the past few months. If I was buying a 1st ar, I'd have bought a colt and saved some money. Good luck with decision. You can't go wrong with pretty much any of the advice given.

stdntDrvr
01-20-17, 18:54
Received my SR-15 from Ayan today. Thanks for everyone's help!

Rermey Lee
01-21-17, 18:49
If you're just dead set against an FSB, then I'd look to either a BCM KMR RECCE-16, any of the DD's, Colt's new 6960 or a 6920 OEM-2 with a C4, or if it's on the table, an SR15...

But if you were a buddy, I'd tell you to just buy a standard 6920 or BCM Mid-16, and save the fancy shit for down the road when you actually know exactly what you need. That way your choice will be driven by your personal experience, and will likely be the best setup for you.

This.

Agreed. Buy the KAC and if they're as good as everyone says, just stay buying KACs. No need for standard ARs.

Actually this.

jstalford
01-21-17, 19:43
Actually this.

Lol he did.