PDA

View Full Version : Question about Glock slides

Slater
09-15-08, 15:11
Anyone know if Glock slides are cast or machined from barstock?

MisterWilson
09-15-08, 15:16
Likely machined.

I'm curious, why do you ask?

Slater
09-15-08, 15:28
Just one of those ill-informed breaktime debates at work. Kind of like Ginger vs Mary Ann.

MisterWilson
09-15-08, 15:30
Which side were you on?

Slater
09-15-08, 15:34
I'm of the opinion that they're machined, but one of the self-professed Glock experts insists that they're cast, so who knows?

BTW, I'm on the "Mary Ann" bandwagon.

Master_of_Sparks
09-15-08, 16:18
From TopGlock website.

"The slide is milled from a single block of ordnance-grade steel."

http://www.topglock.com/Content.aspx?cKey=Glock_Flash

Oh, and Mary-Ann, hands down....

tiger seven
09-15-08, 16:22
All of the resources I have handy (books mostly, and a few websites) say the slide is milled from bar stock.

Derek

LOKNLOD
09-15-08, 16:27
Glock slides are machined by Austrian elves from bar stock that was forged in the fires of Mordor, and treated in the boiling pools on the Plains of Ten'nih-fir. They can only be destroyed in the fires from whence they came.

And since Slater brought it up....

Mary Ann :cool:

MisterWilson
09-15-08, 16:30
Glock slides are machined by Austrian elves from bar stock that was forged in the fires of Mordor, and treated in the boiling pools on the Plains of Ten'nih-fir. They can only be destroyed in the fires from whence they came.

Funny that you mention that but...

Has anyone ever seen or heard about a kaboomed G19 or G17?

Ever?

Master_of_Sparks
09-15-08, 17:05
Never seen any of them kaboom myself, however half of the people on the internet have a cousin, that knows a guy, that has seen every Glock shot at his range blow apart.
They're bad about that....

parker7777
09-15-08, 20:33
Never seen any of them kaboom myself, however half of the people on the internet have a cousin, that knows a guy, that has seen every Glock shot at his range blow apart.
They're bad about that....

good point.

sl4mdaddy
09-16-08, 07:10
I have no value to add to this thread whatsoever...

Mary Ann in a heartbeat.

Robb Jensen
09-16-08, 08:03
If you look at the inside/undersides of a Glock slide you can see the marks the milling/CNC machine left. It's made from bar stock as previously indicated in this thread, it isn't a casting or MIM part.

jmart
09-16-08, 08:22
Mary Ann smokes dope.

ToddG
09-16-08, 10:24
Has anyone ever seen or heard about a kaboomed G19 or G17?

Saw a 34 kB! with factory ammo in 2004. I didn't witness the actual explosion but was on the range within two minutes to see the effect. Gun clearly fired out of battery, which many of us believe is an integral part of the kB! phenomenon.

As others have said, the Glock slides are milled. However, the grade of steel they use is not always very good. DOE did some metallurgical testing a couple years back. I believe the term "pot metal" was used repeatedly in describing the results. The finish on the slides is hard as woodpecker lips, but the underlying metal itself seems to vary quite a bit from production run to production run.

Tungsten
09-16-08, 10:56

Brilliant. :D

LOKNLOD
09-16-08, 11:01
Saw a 34 kB! with factory ammo in 2004. I didn't witness the actual explosion but was on the range within two minutes to see the effect. Gun clearly fired out of battery, which many of us believe is an integral part of the kB! phenomenon.

Interesting. What contributes to a out of battery fire? Gunk in the striker channel causing it load a round with the stiker extended?

Slater
09-16-08, 11:15
So sufficiently hardening the surface can make otherwise crappy steel workable for slides? Heck, wonder if other manufacturers do the same thing?

ToddG
09-16-08, 17:06
What contributes to a out of battery fire? Gunk in the striker channel causing it load a round with the stiker extended?

Anything that prevents the slide from closing fully during the recoil cycle. A bad recoil spring, dirty or damaged rails, dirty or damaged chamber, etc.

So sufficiently hardening the surface can make otherwise crappy steel workable for slides?

No. An agency experienced a number of broken slides and that is why the metallurgical study was performed.

Slater
09-16-08, 18:15
OK, gotcha. Haven't heard about a rash of broken Glock slides in recent times, so presumably this doesn't happen with any frequency?

ToddG
09-16-08, 18:24
I had about a half dozen Glock shooters in the class I just taught this past weekend up near Vancouver. One of them had previously cracked the slide on the first Glock his agency issued him. It's not so common that I'd lose sleep over it, but it's certainly not uncommon, either.

BSHNT2015
09-19-08, 08:50
Since the question was answered for the Glock Slide. The other answer is
Maryann:D

coltm4223
09-19-08, 09:59
I remeber when DOE did those test, infact I was going through a class at CTA when they had the failures only with the 40's. I spoke to several people that took part in the test and had access to the results and they said that the failures were due to a combination of factors. The lack of support in the high pressure area of the chamber, the use of metal that was not within the spec described by the company, and ammo from an unreliable source. I have not been able to track down the report since it has been 7 plus years and the test were preformed by Sandia National labs, not my office. All of this is third and fourth hand info. But one of my sources told me that Glock had corrected the problems and had to show corrective actions to DOE before any more contracts were filled.

Paul45
09-19-08, 11:40
I had a G34 slide crack under the ejector port a few years ago. It had about 85 -90 thousand rounds of factory and reloads thru it. It happened during a USPSA match but I did not notice the problem until I was bagging the gun after the match. I wasn't concerned because of the round count and abuse I gave the gun but I called Glock just for laughts. They said "ship it back" - about a week later I had the gun back, completely refurbished with all new parts and a new slide - NO COST. I wasn't complaining to them, just wanted them to know what happened. I have/ had many other Glocks (only a couple with that high a round count) and have not seen any issues except the normal peening. I have only had one other friend that had a slide issue - same as mine only higher round count - and Glock treated him the same way. He wanted to keep the slide but they would not consider that option.
They have been basicly bullet proof with only a few issues. Like someone said above - I wouldn't loose any sleep worrying about a slide issue. Normal maintenance - replace the normal wear parts and shoot it, shoot it, shoot it and then shoot it.

Robb Jensen
09-20-08, 06:52
Mary Ann and Ginger...

:D
That reminds me of the story of the old bull and young bull standing up on a hill looking down at the cows.....

POF.Ops
09-21-08, 01:15

Glock power baby!