PDA

View Full Version : Budget AR

steve m
12-13-16, 15:42
I am looking for recommendations for a budget AR to get a relative into shooting, not looking for all the bells and whistles, just a solid learning platform. I would like to keep the price under $800. My criteria are reliability to allow a fun day at the range with out a lot of malfunction drills. He will most likely be using generic target ammo from the big box stores. I am leaning towards a S&W or a Ruger?
Thanks for the help.

Beat Trash
12-13-16, 15:59
I'd get a S&W Sport over the Ruger.

I'd shop around and get a Colt 6720 for $820 as my first choice though.

jstalford
12-13-16, 15:59
You can get a 6720 or OEM 6920 Colt for $800 if you're patient. For $800, no one on here is going to tell you to get anything else. You don't even have to stretch your budget.

GAPATRIOT75
12-13-16, 16:29
Colt FTW :)

Iraqgunz
12-13-16, 17:49
It's almost 2017. Things haven't changed. Ruger and S&W haven't gotten any better. There are plenty of AR's on the market. Save your money and spend it wisely. Or purchase a solid upper and then get the lower half. If you cannot find a solid carbine at a good price you aren't trying hard enough.

yrch21
12-13-16, 18:30
You just missed the SIONICS BlackFriday deals, which had complete uppers for great price.
Follow this thread ( https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?106176-SIONICS-Weapon-Systems/ ) and see if the Patrol III or Patrol III XL goes on sale for Christmas.

MJLman
12-13-16, 18:54
For just as fun day at the range as you stated either brand will likely suit you fine but for less than a couple hundred more you could get near the top of the pile with regards to quality by purchasing a Colt. Better off to buy once, cry once and start out with something that's worth having from the start. I speak from experience on this one. Money poorly spent and lessons hard learned (bushhmaster).
See link....multiple versions of the 6920 in stock at Clyde Armory. Maybe look into the Springfield Saint as its right at your price point and a likely better starter gun than the others you are interested in.
https://clydearmory.com/firearms/rifles/colt.html

MegademiC
12-13-16, 21:25
Colt FTW :)

Just like the last 5 threads with the same question.

mjpgolf1
12-13-16, 21:35
If you're patient OP I'm guessing that prices are going to start dropping a bit on everything gun related. So hang out for a while and do some research. It's always best to have some level of knowledge to make a good solid decision because if you plan on getting into the AR platform like most people end up doing, then you will quickly be disappointed if you just run out and buy the first gun that falls in your budget.

kirkland
12-13-16, 23:51
Colt 6720 for $820 with free shipping. That's a damn good price for what you get. Just buy it and never look back.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-AR15-A3-Tactical-Patrol-Lightweight-Carbine-p/ar6720.htm

leibermuster
12-14-16, 00:03
Colt. Call G&R Tactical. Then get another Colt. Then a few uppers. Optics. Etc etc.

JNG3
12-14-16, 06:13
LMT, Knights Armament, Colt, or BCM. If you can't wait to save a few bucks more, the ONLY budget brands I will recommend is Del-Ton and Windam Weaponry. If looking at Del-ton, skip the Sport. Go with the Echo series or their Duty series. The Echo's run mid to high $700's. Del-ton and Windam I have experience with and they seem to run just fine with little to no drama. Del-ton's Echo or Duty and Windam's check almost all of the boxes on the 'list' and would serve the average shooter or law enforcement officer well. Cannot say that about the other 'lower tier' products from other companies. I cannot recommend to anyone that they buy a PSA, DPMS, Bushmaster (Rem Bushmaster), S/W, or Ruger SR or AR. It's not just the PARTS that matter, it's ASSEMBLY and QC that make or break the final product. Remember that last sentence when shopping for an AR.

Joelski
12-14-16, 06:38
AR's were put here by God (and Eugene's team) to be modular. I have assembled every rifle I own, from great parts that I purchased one or two at a time. I lovingly refer to them as my "Payday rifles". There is more cost and responsibility and you can't properly assemble one with a girly tool set like my mom has. However, if you have friends who build, you can borrow both tools and expertise. Otherwise, if you feel like you might stick with this for life, you can work the tools into your payday routine. This method is somewhat more easily tolerated by wives and other accounting personnel who might (loudly) question a large charge to a cc and implement sanctions on vital supplies that cannot be sourced elsewhere.

JNG3
12-14-16, 07:47
Joelski-

As an aside, any "accounting personnel who implemented sanctions on vital supplies" will quickly find themselves without a job AND they will discover that their "vital supplies" can easily be procured elsewhere.

However you are correct, one can build exactly what they want with a little knowledge and some basic tools. However it is incumbent apon the builder to excercise care in assembly. Or you end up with a weapon that does not function correctly and you find yourself on 'the other board' asking why your new toy is not acting like a Colt/BCM/LMT.

tehpwnag3
12-14-16, 09:09
As an aside, any "accounting personnel who implemented sanctions on vital supplies" will quickly find themselves without a job AND they will discover that their "vital supplies" can easily be procured elsewhere.

I take it you sleep alone...A LOT :D

PrevailFI
12-14-16, 09:28
Colt 6720 for $820 with free shipping. That's a damn good price for what you get. Just buy it and never look back.

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-AR15-A3-Tactical-Patrol-Lightweight-Carbine-p/ar6720.htm
What Kirkland said. The 6720 is lighter and better balanced than the otherwise equal 6920 many have suggested. Great value for money spent.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

C4IGrant
12-14-16, 09:29
I am looking for recommendations for a budget AR to get a relative into shooting, not looking for all the bells and whistles, just a solid learning platform. I would like to keep the price under $800. My criteria are reliability to allow a fun day at the range with out a lot of malfunction drills. He will most likely be using generic target ammo from the big box stores. I am leaning towards a S&W or a Ruger?
Thanks for the help.

Neither of those options. Get a Colt OEM!

C4

Fuzzy-Reticle
12-14-16, 09:46
Prices have never been better for a quality AR. Look hard at getting a Colt OEM or a second hand Colt 6920 or 6720. Nothing wrong with a Colt Expanse CE2000 or Smith & Wesson Sport II but in today's market you can get all the bells and whistles on an AR for a few extra dollars. Even if you are going to use it for purely recreational shooting why not spend what amounts to a decent meal out with the family extra on something that is not a compromise on price/performance/features/benefits. Yes, I own a CE2000 and its fine for what it is but I also appreciate my DD, BCM, and Noveske rifles. Like they say, "Buy once and cry once."

steve m
12-14-16, 10:06
Thanks to all,

I am going to steer him in the colt direction.

Alnamvet68
12-14-16, 15:00

C4

I have to ask, why do you sell the Smith and Wesson M & P 15 Sport 2 if you can't recommend it???

C4IGrant
12-14-16, 15:03
I have to ask, why do you sell the Smith and Wesson M & P 15 Sport 2 if you can't recommend it???

Easy. We are a S&W LE dealer and are required to stock their AR's.

The SPORT 2 is a good budget AR (don't get me wrong), it is not even in the same continent as a Colt LE6920.

C4

Doc Safari
12-14-16, 15:17
The SPORT 2 is a good budget AR (don't get me wrong), it is not even in the same continent as a Colt LE6920.

I have to concur exactly. I had one as a "truck gun" that I didn't mind getting rained on, dropped, tripped over, and just in general....abused...so that my "better quality" AR's didn't have to endure the hazards of the ranch.

Eventually, though, I got "guilted" into selling that rifle and buying another Colt LE6920 "just to be sure". I'm glad I made that decision, because now my most-used BCM is my truck gun, and I have a brand new Colt in the safe to remain in near-mint condition while the highly-used BCM takes the abuse from the ranch.

This whole experience reminded me of something I've known for years: if you buy quality you only cry over the price, and that's a one-time shedding of tears. You cry over poor quality every time the product hiccups.

I consider the S&W Sport II appropriate in two, and ONLY two, instances:

1. You are absolutely certain that your budget is not going to allow you to buy a higher-quality (and slightly higher-priced) alternative, EVER. For example, you can only afford ANY carbine of any kind because you got a windfall of money that will likely never happen again, and you also need money for mags and ammo. In this case I'd say prepare either not to shoot it much, or plan to at least buy some better components as funds allow so you can upgrade your purchase.

2. You've never owned an AR, never shot one (or at least not much), and don't know for sure if you'll like having one and training with it. I did that with my first Bushmaster in the 1990's, and frankly I didn't care for the weapon until some of the myths of unreliability and how much maintenance the gun requires were eventually dispelled. If you're not sure you like AR's, then by all means buy an inexpensive one to learn more about it and whether you like it before you pay good money for a better one. Just keep in mind you may experience reliability and durability issues with a less-expensive one than with a good one.

ww2farmer
12-14-16, 15:50
IMHO a good baseline for a "budget build" is one of the PSA Premium rifle kits. I would (and have) pick those any day over the S&W or Ruger

Or you could go this route.......which I have also done:

Buy a decent stripped lower. I like Aero Precision. Buy a good lower parts kit, and then shop around for a lightly used BCM or Colt upper.

I have a 6920 upper/bcg on an Aero lower, built with a mix of BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense parts, and magpul furniture that cost me a few bucks less than buying a new Colt factory 6920............but I also have a BCM 14.5" midlength upper that I bought used that was a bit of a problem child for a while until I got it running right........so there is always that cavet when buying used

I'd be all over these mythical $800 NIB 6920's everyone has...........if I could ever find one. My LGS has plenty of 6920's but they are $1200 and he won't transfer one in cheaper because he sells them. Yeah he has to lock the mag in it to be NY compliant, but I am not paying him $400 to do it just for a roll mark on a lower, when I can buy everything BUT the colt lower myself cheaper elswhere, and fix the mag myself for $2.

Plus the money I saved on doing it myself can be spent on more lowers/mags that I keep at friends and families places in PA and VA, where I can take my uppers and go run my stuff they way it was meant to be run.

CatBacker88
12-14-16, 16:37

C4

Okay, do you have any?

C4IGrant
12-14-16, 16:55
Okay, do you have any?

None, but always have them on order and coming in. So it is wise to e-mail is with which one you want so we can contact you as soon as they arrive.

C4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kirkland
12-14-16, 17:20
IMHO a good baseline for a "budget build" is one of the PSA Premium rifle kits. I would (and have) pick those any day over the S&W or Ruger

Or you could go this route.......which I have also done:

Buy a decent stripped lower. I like Aero Precision. Buy a good lower parts kit, and then shop around for a lightly used BCM or Colt upper.

I have a 6920 upper/bcg on an Aero lower, built with a mix of BCM, Colt, Daniel Defense parts, and magpul furniture that cost me a few bucks less than buying a new Colt factory 6920............but I also have a BCM 14.5" midlength upper that I bought used that was a bit of a problem child for a while until I got it running right........so there is always that cavet when buying used

I'd be all over these mythical $800 NIB 6920's everyone has...........if I could ever find one. My LGS has plenty of 6920's but they are $1200 and he won't transfer one in cheaper because he sells them. Yeah he has to lock the mag in it to be NY compliant, but I am not paying him $400 to do it just for a roll mark on a lower, when I can buy everything BUT the colt lower myself cheaper elswhere, and fix the mag myself for $2.

Plus the money I saved on doing it myself can be spent on more lowers/mags that I keep at friends and families places in PA and VA, where I can take my uppers and go run my stuff they way it was meant to be run.

Mythical? I posted a link to a 6720 for $820 shipped. It's identical to a 6920 except for the roll mark and a lighter barrel. Ha! I did score a 6920 for $799 in late 2014 when prices completely bottomed out. That was sweet!

jstalford
12-14-16, 18:07
I have bought two 6720 this year for $740 and PSA had 6920 for $799 on BF.

Email grant for notifications on the OEM model if you want minimal effort. Or check slickguns periodically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noonesshowmonkey
12-14-16, 20:03
The 'budget' rifle has only a few real answers:

Colt 6970/6920 - a bit more expensive than other options, but bombproof and hold their value. Minimalist in a good way.
Colt OEM1/OEM2 - similar to the above, but allowing you to swap on whatever handguard / grip / stock. Personally, these are where I'd start.
Aero Precision OEM - like the Colt OEM, but in mid-length. Probably the best value. Aero makes good stuff, and has a good customer service / returns policy if you get a lemon.

Below this tier of cost, you're looking at:

PSA - This is a mixed bag, and there's plenty of horror stories--from stolen credit card data, to canted FSBs, to non/poorly staked BCGs, to massive wait times on shipping, to just about anything you can imagine--but they do make rifles that (can) work. A PSA completed lower, especially a blemished lower, is about as 'budget' as you can get for doing a lower+upper build.
S&W Sport - Honestly, I'd just save an extra hundred or so and get the Colt.

There are other options out there, but the above list is about as good as you can get for the dollar spent. A PSA blem lower with a BCM upper is the poor man's boom stick.

Get an OEM, put Magpul or BCM furniture on it, and run a Centurion CMR or ALG EMR and be done with it.

mlberry
12-15-16, 06:32
Just remember that a complete rifle has a excise tax added (I think the current rate is 15%). If you buy the lower and upper separately you can avoid this tax. Although most of the members like Colt you should take a look at the PSA web site. I happen to like PSA, but a lot of the criticisms here are well taken.

OhThatGuy
12-16-16, 04:09
I wanted a cheap plinker and the S&W Sports were $599 locally. I found this basic carbine length PSA Freedom rifle new for $499. With the railed hand guard and covers added on I'm still around what the cheapest S&W Sport would have been out the door. I've only run a few mags through it but it's been 100% reliable so far.
http://i67.tinypic.com/2qlvkux.jpg

MistWolf
12-16-16, 04:17
Is that an aluminum handguard?

OhThatGuy
12-16-16, 04:24
Is that an aluminum handguard?
No, extended RailGuard over a quad rail. (Full disclosure-I've been a forum member for years but I now work for the co. that makes the rail-mounted accessory seen here).

feraldog
12-16-16, 09:57
here's the email i send friends (if your fav brand isn't listed, don't sweat it)...

Colt makes tough very-reliable military-quality battle-proven utility ARs (not including their low-cost Expanse, Competition, CE or CR series) and are the benchmark to which all others are compared. Starting around $800

Colt Expanse/Competition/CE/CR-series, S&W, Ruger, SIG, Rock River, Stag, Bushmaster, Windham, CMMG, DPMS, LWRCi, PSA, SGW, FN, Delton, Armailite, Midwest, Sabre, Palmetto, Aero, Eagle, Olympic, Anderson, Remington, Adams, Mossberg, Spikes, etc are entry level guns and range toys, meaning they aren’t built for heavy use or extreme reliability. They’re for first-time buyers wanting to learn about the AR platform, looking to try a new hobby, for shooting ground squirrels, plinking, laws-might-change-so-I-better-get-somehting-now, or just for fun. (Best buys: Colt Expanse or S&W M&P15 Sport II). Starting around $500

Daniel Defense (DD), LaRue, Lewis Machine & Tool (LMT), and Knight's Armament Company (KAC) are “top-tier” makers producing fully-functional reliable high-quality boutique ARs with excellent fit/finish and lots of options, often used in world-class competitions and by elite military teams. Starting around $1600

i’d suggest:
- if you want an ultra-reliable utlility AR for defense, buy a military style Colt
- if you want one to play with, a better entry level model may work for you
- if you want fancier, more options and better finished, consider top tier

Final note: a basic rifle is just the start. You’ll likely need to spend money on optics, mounts, back-up sights, magazines, ammunition, better triggers, flashlights, lasers, spare parts, pouches, cases, slings, etc. And if you’re willing to invest in such a package, doesn’t it make sense to build on a good foundation?

yrch21
12-16-16, 17:15
Upper: SIONICS Patrol III XL for $640 http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/holiday-specials/90-patrol-rifle-zero-upper.html
Lower: Build his own or snag a PSA CTR Blem lower for $160

MRBShooter
12-17-16, 12:31
Built my first AR on an Anderson lower. Very happy with it.

Next was built on a Colt lower - there is something about that name...

ScottsBad
12-17-16, 12:40
Colt.

Piston10
12-17-16, 23:37
My budget rifle is a spikes lower, has magpul stock, JP springs, upper is Anderson with a aero barrel and keymod rail, topped off with DD irons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

TexGuy
12-18-16, 08:58
The least expensive AR I have is one of the best. DPMS Oracle.

Singlestack Wonder
12-18-16, 09:07

https://primaryandsecondary.com/autopsy-of-a-rifle-dpms-oracle-5-56-mm/

graffex
12-18-16, 19:13

Your hillarious.

PaLEOjd
12-18-16, 19:42

You must have had someone tell you that on TOS, an AR is an AR and all parts are the same! Sounds like something said over there.

OP, get the Colt and your good.

TexGuy
12-19-16, 11:55
Your hillarious.

Glad to see y'all were paying attention. Now I know I can trust you !

TexGuy
12-19-16, 11:56
You must have had someone tell you that on TOS, an AR is an AR and all parts are the same! Sounds like something said over there.

OP, get the Colt and your good.

Bingo ! Glad to see were on the same wavelength.

squid8286
12-19-16, 18:54
I just bought a new Colt 6920 OEM1 three weeks ago for $740 from an individual. I thought that was an extremely decent price. He had two. Now I wish I"d bought both of them!

STG44*
12-19-16, 18:59
Don't buy a Ruger:bad:

Buy the one that's built the MOST for the LONGEST---you won't go wrong.

http://www.fototime.com/CE50807D0F42A20/medium800.jpg

MeanCarbine
12-19-16, 19:12
My Ruger AR-556 has been flawless after several thousands rounds, but apparently YMMV.

JG007
12-19-16, 19:23
the current , separate, upper and lower deal at sionics is one of the rare exceptions to the colt 6920 (OEM) general rule

yrch21
12-19-16, 19:29
the current , separate, upper and lower deal at sionics is one of the rare exceptions to the colt 6920 (OEM) general rule

Here are the links to the aforementioned combo:
Upper: http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/holiday-specials/90-patrol-rifle-zero-upper.html
Lower: http://sionicsweaponsystems.com/store2015/holiday-specials/97-patrol-rifle-zero.html

grizzlyblake
12-22-16, 06:23
I'm seeing 6970s at $799 right now, and am probably going to order one today.

My question is this, and I'm pretty certain I know the answer but just looking for confirmation - Is the current Colt 6720 a unit that a man can use as his "one" carbine for the rest of his life?

My early production PSA Premium M4 has been great for the past few years, but I'm not an armorer and don't like worrying about QC'ing things that may not be up to par on a rifle that I depend on to protect my family.

Here's to hoping this isn't the dumbass post that gets me roasted here.

seb5
12-22-16, 07:49
I'm seeing 6970s at $799 right now, and am probably going to order one today.

My question is this, and I'm pretty certain I know the answer but just looking for confirmation - Is the current Colt 6720 a unit that a man can use as his "one" carbine for the rest of his life?

My early production PSA Premium M4 has been great for the past few years, but I'm not an armorer and don't like worrying about QC'ing things that may not be up to par on a rifle that I depend on to protect my family.

Here's to hoping this isn't the dumbass post that gets me roasted here.

Yes it is! It's a great platform to add, or not if you desire. Many of us prefer the LW barrel for everything but real precision shooting. By the time you add a rail of some sort, light, sling, RDS the weight does add up. Over the years I've taken many carbine classes and over 2-4 days of shooting I was pleased to be carrying one of my LW's. I never felt at a disadvantage with them because of heat or accuracy. At the same time, you have to decide what you want out of your rifle and buy accordingly.

grizzlyblake
12-22-16, 08:23
I am not an extreme high volume shooter. My PSA is currently set up with standard AR furniture, DDA1.5 rear sight, Blue Force sling, and Streamlight in an IWC mount.

The carbine for me is just a do it all long gun but mainly is a home defense weapon. I plan to just move my accessories from the PSA to the 6720 and rock on.