PDA

View Full Version : M&P Recoil Spring Replacement

VA_Dinger
09-15-08, 16:12
At what round count does S&W suggest replacing the M&P9 recoil spring assembly?

Robb Jensen
09-15-08, 16:42
At what round count does S&W suggest replacing the M&P9 recoil spring assembly?

5K rounds along with the trigger spring and mag springs from the Feb 08 Blackwater M&P Armorers course.

VA_Dinger
09-15-08, 16:45
5K rounds along with the trigger spring and mag springs from the Feb 08 Blackwater M&P Armorers course.

Thanks Robb.

ToddG
09-16-08, 10:16
FWIW, the replacement schedule I was given (which is based on doing extreme endurance testing in a very short period of time) was 7,500 rounds which is still probably conservative. Note that this applies only to the full size 9mm M&P. I have no idea what similar schedules for other M&Ps look like.

YukonGlocker
09-17-08, 17:15
In my Armorer course, we were showed how to check the springs, and told not to use round count for a gauge.
There are too many variables to assign a round count to a spring.

M4arc
09-17-08, 17:41
dinger - Don't buy one I have a couple here.

VA_Dinger
09-19-08, 01:11
dinger - Don't buy one I have a couple here.

That's good news because they are not easy to find.

Most everybody is sold out of them.

Thank you

YukonGlocker
09-19-08, 10:19
Using an uncaptured ss rod (such as from Speed Shooters Specialties) and an ISMI spring is another option.

John Fettes
09-22-08, 11:32
Is it within the realm of reality to replace the spring on the stock FLGR? The front of the rod looks like it has a nut on it.

John

Robb Jensen
09-22-08, 11:37
Is it within the realm of reality to replace the spring on the stock FLGR? The front of the rod looks like it has a nut on it.

John

That's what I do on my M&P9L because I haven't got around to buying the extra long non-captured tungsten rod. I use a 15lb ISMI (reduced power) recoil spring. This is a match gun and I only shoot standard pressure ammo through it.

tr1kstanc3
05-18-10, 20:15

Do you know of a place to purchase the trigger spring or is this something you need to contact S&W directly?

silentsod
05-19-10, 00:43
Mine shit the bed right around 5k (M&P45FS) and I was most annoyed it wasn't in the manual. Failed to cycle some hot loads I'd developed, magazine springs are the originals as well and I suspect one of them might be wearing out, Sharpied them up and if one is going bad I'm just going to buy 4 replacement springs (each mag has around 1.4k rounds through it).

98z28
05-19-10, 11:01

Does anyone know what the schedule is for the full size and compact 40? I have contacted Smith several times and they will not give me the information even though it is for my duty weapons. They just tell me to let a certified armorer look it over.

Mine shit the bed right around 5k (M&P45FS) and I was most annoyed it wasn't in the manual. Failed to cycle some hot loads I'd developed, magazine springs are the originals as well and I suspect one of them might be wearing out, Sharpied them up and if one is going bad I'm just going to buy 4 replacement springs (each mag has around 1.4k rounds through it).

All of my mags (40S&W) started failing to lock the slide back after about 2000 rounds. I never experienced any failures to feed though. If they are just training mags, Brownells has the springs.

silentsod
05-19-10, 14:48
I experience a bolt over base in 1 out of 200 rounds at my last range trip so either tonight or tomorrow I'm checking with another 200. I don't believe it was a light load, but you never know.

I should also be noted each magazine has been dropped on concrete over a hundred times (sometimes with a round or two still in them at a match) and none have outright broken.

Anyone know why S&W doesn't include spring change intervals in the manual?

vicious_cb
06-25-10, 03:35
What about other wear parts like the roll pins and such? Anyone have the full maintenance schedule for the the M&P9 FS?