PDA

View Full Version : What's it worth question... 2008 Bushmaster Piston Gun

Led0321
12-16-16, 07:53
Mods if this isn't an appropriate forum please move.

I bought a Bushmaster Piston gun in 2008. I would say it is in 95% condition but I want to sell it now.

Does anyone have any idea what it is worth or where I should look? I have thought about just putting it on gunbroker and letting it go for a few weeks. Maybe even just the upper.

This add is old but this is the gun for reference.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/2497487/utah-rifles-for-sale--new-in-box-bushmaster-a3-gas-piston-operated-ar-15-rifle--w--16--barrel--collapsible-stock--30rd-mag---bushmaster-9029

nick84
12-16-16, 10:45
Not that I'm an expert on pricing (or really much else), but here's my experience on selling guns:

People who know guns want nice stuff or great deals, usually both. People who just want 'an AR' want to spend 3 or 4 hundred dollars and be done. By the name alone, a bushmaster isn't getting a lot of traction with the gun savvy crowd, even if there's nothing wrong with it. So having an expensive bushmaster is kind of a tough sell, outside the occasional gun panic. I'd say put it up for sale and let it run. You may get some bids or offers and then you can decide what it's worth to you. As for a number, all you can really do is go by comparables if you're not sure. Start with a grand maybe, write a good ad, and see what happens. GLWS.

donlapalma
12-16-16, 13:00
From a pure numbers standpoint, I generally find that I can sell a used gun and recover anywhere from 65% to 85% of my original total cost. Obviously, market demand will dictate where you fall out but this gives me an idea of where to start. Lacking any recent data or listings of the same firearm, your best bet would be to put it up on www.gunbroker.com and set your reserve no lower than what you would be willing to accept. Then you just wait and see. Adjust your pricing from there. Good luck.

SomeOtherGuy
12-16-16, 14:57
As others said - put it on an auction site and see what happens. I don't think there is a meaningful "market price" for something as uncommon as what you're looking to sell. Hopefully it has collectible value to someone and you get back your investment.

Led0321
12-18-16, 18:06
Thanks. I will toss it on gunbroker in a month and see what happens.

GH41
12-18-16, 18:24
You don't just toss it on gunbroker to see what happens. If it doesn't sell for what you want you have to buy it for more and pay the fees. I have real good luck with gunbroker but I never tried to sell junk.

Led0321
12-18-16, 18:29
You don't just toss it on gunbroker to see what happens. If it doesn't sell for what you want you have to buy it for more and pay the fees. I have real good luck with gunbroker but I never tried to sell junk.
I will put a reserve on it...

GH41
12-18-16, 19:29
I will put a reserve on it...

It doesn't matter. If it doesn't sell you still have to pay the fees. A reserve only means you think you know what it will sell for but you really don't. Do you think they put up your listing for free?

Led0321
12-18-16, 19:30
It doesn't matter. If it doesn't sell you still have to pay the fees. A reserve only means you think you know what it will sell for but you really don't. Do you think they put up your listing for free?
I have used gunbroker alot. Buying and selling. Thank you for your service

Led0321
12-18-16, 21:33
Do you think they put up your listing for free?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161219/db0ef2fb27d86ea305cb8aad0287d2a0.jpg

Stickman
12-18-16, 23:41
Mods if this isn't an appropriate forum please move.

I bought a Bushmaster Piston gun in 2008. I would say it is in 95% condition but I want to sell it now.

Does anyone have any idea what it is worth or where I should look? I have thought about just putting it on gunbroker and letting it go for a few weeks. Maybe even just the upper.

This add is old but this is the gun for reference.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/2497487/utah-rifles-for-sale--new-in-box-bushmaster-a3-gas-piston-operated-ar-15-rifle--w--16--barrel--collapsible-stock--30rd-mag---bushmaster-9029

It is an old gun in a market that is soft, and in a configuration that is undesirable to most people.

ETA- Maybe the bigger question would be how much do you hope to get out of it? Are you hoping to get 6 or 700 hundred?

Led0321
12-18-16, 23:48
It is an old gun in a market that is soft, and in a configuration that is undesirable to most people.

No doubt about that.

Skyyr
12-19-16, 01:45

They won't charge you if it doesn't sell. I've sold tons of stuff on Gunbroker. The only fees they charge on non-sells are the premium add-on listing fees.