PDA

View Full Version : War Dogs (Review)

WillBrink
12-18-16, 11:17
War Dogs is based on a true story that first appeared in Rolling Stone Magazine, via journalist Guy Lawson. It's a truly amazing "life is stranger than fiction" story about two kids in Miami who end up in the arms dealing business during the Iraq war due what is essentially a loophole in the DOD procurement bidding process. *

Although War Dogs is based on actual events for sure, director Todd Phillips still took some dramatic license in translating the story into a movie, which is to be expected. but, more license than needed considering the actual events so unlikely.

It's very well directed, and Jonah Hill should at least be nominated in some fashion for his work in this movie, putting him in the "serious" actor designation due to this movie. I didn't know he was capable of that level of acting and the sociopathic laugh he uses made my hair stand on end, having known a few similar personalities in my day...the truly standout character in War Dogs is played by Bradley Cooper, and when he's on screen, you simply can't look away. The undertone of malevolence he gives off while saying nothing seemingly threatening is Robert De Niro Good Fellas level acting. Again, I didn't know he had that level of acting ability from prior movies. Just throw the Best Supporting Actor Oscar at him now and be done with it.

Even those with small parts do an outstanding job in this movie and credit where credit due to Director Todd Phillips whose prior movies, such as The Hangover, etc. did nothing for me.

This is a very well made movie overall and easily one of the best of the year and hopefully gets acknowledged as such.

War Dogs demonstrates Hollywood still perfectly capable of quality movie making when the right people comes together and someone gives a damn about the audience. I'd give this one an A- and the minus due to a few small nits I had and the movie taking more dramatic license than was required for what is an already amazing story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwh9c_E3dJk

* = For those in the know: Has that "loophole" been closed or do they do more due diligence now on the vendors they choose?

Eurodriver
12-18-16, 11:25
I've got an idea.

Pilot1
12-18-16, 11:56
Looks interesting. I love the line, "We're gun runners. Let's run some guns."

WillBrink
12-18-16, 12:03
Looks interesting. I love the line, "We're gun runners. Let's run some guns."

The movie is loaded with great one liners like that from them and various characters all through. I was worried this would be some lefty Hollywood anti gun liberal cry fest and such, but it couldn't be any farther from that. If anything, it makes one at least consider getting into the "biz" they were in, as long as you avoid the obvious pitfalls they fell into...

Not sure how well it did in the box office, but I suspect like many movies, once it gets around via word of mouth on the rental market, it will do well.

sevenhelmet
12-18-16, 12:47
I had the same concern about this movie being anti-gun, anti-military, etc. But, I found it enjoyable to watch. I had a couple of nits, though: I was trying to figure out why 60 year old Army O-3 (WTF?) was seemingly in complete charge of billions of Sadaam's seized US dollars and FMS procurement contracts. If they'd made him a LtCol or Col, it might have been more believable. Or maybe there really was some O-3 retread in charge- again, WTF?

Second thing (***MINOR SPOILER ALERT***): Why didn't David lock up his contract or keep it with him? He seemed to have so many other preps for throwing Efraim under the bus that it seems like a really obvious oversight. Again, maybe that's how it really was- it just surprised me.

Overall good movie, but it was pretty much the plot of the movie "21" (although "War Dogs" is much better), so in a way I felt like I'd already seen it. Because of that, I'll give it a solid B with good rewatchability.

SteyrAUG
12-18-16, 13:35
I have no interest in seeing a movie about these two tards, especially given what we actually know about them.

WillBrink
12-18-16, 13:40
I had the same concern about this movie being anti-gun, anti-military, etc. But, I found it enjoyable to watch. I had a couple of nits, though: I was trying to figure out why 60 year old Army O-3 (WTF?) was seemingly in complete charge of billions of Sadaam's seized US dollars and FMS procurement contracts. If they'd made him a LtCol or Col, it might have been more believable. Or maybe there really was some O-3 retread in charge- again, WTF?

Above my pay grade to comment on that one.

Second thing (***MINOR SPOILER ALERT***): Why didn't David lock up his contract or keep it with him? He seemed to have so many other preps for throwing Efraim under the bus that it seems like a really obvious oversight. Again, maybe that's how it really was- it just surprised me.

They were best friends since they were in junior high, etc, etc and under the circumstances as it developed, total lack of experience, his age, etc, no surprise to me at all. You'd be astounded the biz people do without any formal agreements and get burned. Ask me how I know...

Overall good movie, but it was pretty much the plot of the movie "21" (although "War Dogs" is much better), so in a way I felt like I'd already seen it. Because of that, I'll give it a solid B with good rewatchability.

Never saw it, but other than both being based on true stories, totally different plots no?

My few nits were things like, all those bullets flying and dude holding gas can in back of truck is fine, use of a UH-1 Huey Chopper as an attack chopper in Iraq (I'd thought those who long gone for that role, and assumed it was to save $ on movie making as far less expensive to rent for movie making), and of course what massage therapist, drop out loser, has a GF that looks like that?!* All minor chit that didn't take away from the movie enough to downgrade it's high score for me.

* =

http://media.gq.com/photos/579b82efc4abcd954c36d3f8/master/pass/ana-de-armas-gq-0816-07.jpg

WillBrink
12-18-16, 13:44
I have no interest in seeing a movie about these two tards, especially given what we actually know about them.

Your loss. No one says they were good guys. One is painted mostly as a clueless loser, the other as a manipulative, sociopathic conman, and neither presented as heroes or even good guys per se. Two idiots who took advantage of the system 'til they bit off more than they could chew. All are still fighting to this day:

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/the-real-story-behind-the-movie-war-dogs-8674916

sevenhelmet
12-18-16, 14:13
of course what massage therapist, drop out loser, has a GF that looks like that?!*

* =

[IMAGE]

It crossed my mind, but I was too busy enjoying the eye-candy to complain. Dayum. Also, well played.

WillBrink
12-18-16, 15:37
It crossed my mind, but I was too busy enjoying the eye-candy to complain. Dayum. Also, well played.

Right from the start, so many LOL moments I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrWhkTwdfps

SteyrAUG
12-18-16, 15:52
Your loss. No one says they were good guys. One is painted mostly as a clueless loser, the other as a manipulative, sociopathic conman, and neither presented as heroes or even good guys per se. Two idiots who took advantage of the system 'til they bit off more than they could chew. All are still fighting to this day:

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/the-real-story-behind-the-movie-war-dogs-8674916

I'm assuming they sold their rights to the story and probably have a take in the proceeds of the film.

WillBrink
12-18-16, 16:55
I'm assuming they sold their rights to the story and probably have a take in the proceeds of the film.

Nope. See article posted:

"Diveroli, though, says he's the one getting a raw deal. Fresh out of federal prison, he's ferociously fighting Packouz's legal claims. And he's suing Warner Bros. — he says the studio stole the idea for War Dogs from his memoir, which he self-published in June under the title Once a Gunrunner."

The Director purchased the rights and he didn't get it from either of them I believe.

Hmac
12-18-16, 18:53
I rented this from iTunes the other day. I thought it was interesting, and a pretty good movie. I didn't realize it was that close to the truth. The characters were not particularly sympathy-inducing. I thought Bradley Cooper had the scariest/most interesting role, and he was entirely fabricated.

SteyrAUG
12-18-16, 20:14
Nope. See article posted:

"Diveroli, though, says he's the one getting a raw deal. Fresh out of federal prison, he's ferociously fighting Packouz's legal claims. And he's suing Warner Bros. — he says the studio stole the idea for War Dogs from his memoir, which he self-published in June under the title Once a Gunrunner."

The Director purchased the rights and he didn't get it from either of them I believe.

David Packouz actually is IN the film, I'm betting he was paid for his cameo.

sevenhelmet
12-18-16, 20:17
Because this just begs to be quoted together.

Your loss.

http://media.gq.com/photos/579b82efc4abcd954c36d3f8/master/pass/ana-de-armas-gq-0816-07.jpg

I think Will wins the thread. 'Nuff said.