PDA

View Full Version : Noveske Switchblock with a DBAL

Severian
12-19-16, 18:35
Is anyone running a DBAL unit on a rifle with a Noveske Switchblock upper? I was thinking I'd put the DBAL at 12 o'clock position directly behind the switchblock, but then it occurred to me that gases escaping from the switchblock might cause issues or fouling with the frickin' laser beams.

Also, I'm concerned about having the DBAL so far back from the front iron sight due to the extra gap in the handguard. Seems like the illuminator or visible laser might interact more with the front sight if it's far enough away. Thoughts?

Of course the other option is to skip the switchblock altogether, but I guess I need to decide which is more important. I do plan on running a suppressor.

bighawk
12-19-16, 18:42
Is anyone running a DBAL unit on a rifle with a Noveske Switchblock upper? I was thinking I'd put the DBAL at 12 o'clock position directly behind the switchblock, but then it occurred to me that gases escaping from the switchblock might cause issues with the lasers.

Also, I'm concerned about having the DBAL so far back from the front iron sight due to the extra gap in the handguard. Seems like the illuminator or visible laser might interact more with the front sight if it's far enough away. Thoughts?

Of course the other option is to skip the switchblock altogether, but I guess I need to decide which is more important. I do plan on running a suppressor.

Are you able to put the DBAL in the place of the front sight and move the sight back towards the switch block?? It would move it far enough forward to avoid gasses and no front sight interference.

Severian
12-19-16, 18:47
Are you able to put the DBAL in the place of the front sight and move the sight back towards the switch block?? It would move it far enough forward to avoid gasses and no front sight interference.

Well, it looks like there is only about 1" - 1 1/2" of real estate on the little rail in front of the switchblock. Seems like the DBAL wouldn't have much mounting purchase and it would be hanging way out there beyond the handguard.

http://www.noveske.com/collections/upper/products/noveske-recon-switchblock-upper

I suppose everything could go further back onto the main section of the top rail, but then I guess I'd lose proper sight distance.

bighawk
12-19-16, 18:53
For some reason I thought there was a bit more rail space in front of the switch block..

Do you already have an upper with the switch block? From your post it seems like you are thinking about this and don't currently have it?

Severian
12-19-16, 18:57
Do you already have an upper with the switch block? From your post it seems like you are thinking about this and don't currently have it?

Right, I don't actually have the upper yet. Just in the planning stages of my next build. Since I was going for a suppressor-focused setup I thought the switchblock would be handy, but if it causes more problems then it solves then I could do something else.

bighawk
12-19-16, 19:08
Right, I don't actually have the upper yet. Just in the planning stages of my next build. Since I was going for a suppressor-focused setup I thought the switchblock would be handy, but if it causes more problems then it solves then I could do something else.

Ah understood.. Honestly there are a lot of quality adjustable gas blocks out there that do not require a rail with the opening on the top. If you'd like the DBAL farther forward it might be a route worth looking into..

I personally have a DD MK18 upper with a Micro MOA Govnah adjustable gas block and my DBAL and Atpial both sat directly over the top of it while suppressed for quite some time and all it did was dust the bottom with gas but it never affected the illuminators.

Severian
12-19-16, 20:12
I personally have a DD MK18 upper with a Micro MOA Govnah adjustable gas block and my DBAL and Atpial both sat directly over the top of it while suppressed for quite some time and all it did was dust the bottom with gas but it never affected the illuminators.

Ok, good to know. And come to think of it, I do see a fair number of shorty carbines with DBALs sitting right up close to the muzzle, so maybe it's a non-issue.

Eurodriver
12-19-16, 20:19
You won't have any of the issues mentioned in your OP. The DBALs sit up pretty high on the rail.

How are you activating your laser?

Severian
12-19-16, 20:54
How are you activating your laser?

Not sure yet, but I imagine some manner of dual pressure pad/switch (for laser + light).