PDA

View Full Version : Keep DD RIS II or Switch for BCM KMR?

Colt-45
12-20-16, 08:03
Currently running a DD RIS II on my 14.5" pinned Noveske CHF barreled upper.

For years now I've been interested in a BCM KMR 13" rail.

The pin removal and re installation is not really an issue.

Should I keep my DD RIS II or switch to the BCM KMR?

Aside from the weight, is there anything else I would be gaining from the swap?

Want some opinions as to if I should swap or stay as is. Not really interested in other rails.

Thanks

explosivewhale
12-20-16, 08:25
People are still running those cheesegrater rails? Just kidding...

In all seriousness, having run both style of rails (I had a DDm4v5) whose rail I swapped to a KMR, I prefer the KMR. The KMR lets me put rail segments where I need it, and for me, it is easier to get a good grip on the rail. The quad rail style is too bulky in my opinion and is a tad heavier. All I run is a flashlight and the BCM rail covers. I have no need for that much rail space.

TMS951
12-20-16, 08:31
Owning both, you would be going from a very strong stiff rail, that is a little hefty, to one of the thinest lightest and most flexible rails, dare I say even weak.

They are different rails for different purposes. My RIS II is on a M4A1 cloneish build. My KMR is is an all out light weight build on 2A Armament lite receivers and all V7 parts.

Personally if I was you I would consider a DD Lite III rail. Its lighter and thinner than the RIS II but uses the same barrel nut. You can switch it with out repining, and switch back if you want.

bighawk
12-20-16, 08:40
I have an original KMR and 2 KMR alpha rails and the DD mk18 RIS II.. I am thinking about switching some of the KMR's out for more durable rails but they have served me well to this point. The RIS II is just such an awesome high quality rail I would have a difficult time ditching it for the KMR unless I was purely concerned about cutting weight.

masenomics
12-20-16, 08:42
I really like my RIS II handguards. Unless you want to ditch the quadrails and lighter weight, no need to switch.

Outlander Systems
12-20-16, 09:28
You definitely want the KMR.

PM me with a price for the DD RIS II.

:cool:

Currently running a DD RIS II on my 14.5" pinned Noveske CHF barreled upper.

For years now I've been interested in a BCM KMR 13" rail.

The pin removal and re installation is not really an issue.

Should I keep my DD RIS II or switch to the BCM KMR?

Aside from the weight, is there anything else I would be gaining from the swap?

Want some opinions as to if I should swap or stay as is. Not really interested in other rails.

Thanks

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-20-16, 09:38
Keep what you have.

scottryan
12-20-16, 10:52
A Noveske NSR is better than a KMR rail.

The Noveske has a more robust mouting system.

chuckman
12-20-16, 14:35
I have a quad-rail DD. I no longer have a job where I need to carry it 24/7, so weight is unimportant. I don't dislike KMR or M-LOK; Picatinny is just what I know, and have always known, so it's good for me. But if you don't like the weight, switch it out.

Pappabear
12-20-16, 14:50
RISII is the tank of rails and my favorite. If weight is your primary concern you could switch. Otherwise you downgrading your kit. I own both.

PB

Uprange41
12-20-16, 15:14
Weight and general comfort is all you're gaining by swapping to a KMR (go KMR-A if you do swap).

If you're used to the RIS and your back isn't telling you to swap, I'd just keep it.

C-grunt
12-20-16, 15:39
I voted keep the RIS. I had a KMR and it is a great rail. But there are known issues with it not being a super sturdy rail. I dot abuse my personal guns and probably never would have had a problem, but the thought always lingered in my mind. I switched it out for a Geissele SMR Mk2 and feel much happier now.

jpmuscle
12-20-16, 15:55
I voted keep the RIS. I had a KMR and it is a great rail. But there are known issues with it not being a super sturdy rail. I dot abuse my personal guns and probably never would have had a problem, but the thought always lingered in my mind. I switched it out for a Geissele SMR Mk2 and feel much happier now.
There were / are documented issues with the originals to be certain but have the integrity issues carried over to the new alpha series? I've not seen a documented failure as of yet. Has anyone else? I'm talking regular use within the scope of weapon utilization. Not using it as a post hole pounded lol.

OP, since your starting with a 14.5 why not build another upper? Components are cheap currently.

firefighter37
12-20-16, 16:09
RISII is the tank of rails and my favorite. If weight is your primary concern you could switch. Otherwise you downgrading your kit. I own both.

PB

I agree. Having owned both setups in question and many other available rails, My RIS II MK18 is my favorite rail. As a matter of fact, if you list your RIS II, and Outlander doesn't buy it, let me know.

markm
12-20-16, 16:23
Keep RIS, build a new upper with KMR. No brainer.

Singlestack Wonder
12-20-16, 16:35
I show my friends my KMR's and my enemies the RIS II... :dirol:

GrumpyM4
12-20-16, 16:47
I vote getting rid of the RIS II and getting the DDM4 RIS III.

Smaller profile then the RIS II, but not too small like many of the current MLOK or Keymod handguards(personal opinion about grip size). They are much lighter then the RIS II's and balance better.

And When I switched, I didn't need to re-invest in new keymod or mlok accessories.

While lighter can be better, there's a lot to be said for balance and in my personal opinion, too light of a fore end screws up the balance too much for me.

titsonritz
12-20-16, 17:31
I vote getting rid of the RIS II and getting the DDM4 RIS III.

Smaller profile then the RIS II, but not too small like many of the current MLOK or Keymod handguards(personal opinion about grip size). They are much lighter then the RIS II's and balance better.

And When I switched, I didn't need to re-invest in new keymod or mlok accessories.

While lighter can be better, there's a lot to be said for balance and in my personal opinion, too light of a fore end screws up the balance too much for me.

Those 4 little bolts that strip pretty easily vs 6 beefier bolts keep me with the RISII despite the weight. I'll always have a RISII on one of my 6920s.

wildcard600
12-20-16, 18:44
I would keep the DD. As soon as I have the cash i'm ditching my KMR-A and going with something much beefier.

scottryan
12-20-16, 19:16
There were / are documented issues with the originals to be certain but have the integrity issues carried over to the new alpha series? I've not seen a documented failure as of yet. Has anyone else? I'm talking regular use within the scope of weapon utilization. Not using it as a post hole pounded lol.

OP, since your starting with a 14.5 why not build another upper? Components are cheap currently.

The barrel nut of the KMR is too short. This allows the rail to squirm on the barrel nut and the rail be pushed out of concentric with the barrel. Notice I didn't say flex, I said squirm.

The rail does not pop back to concentric with the barrel after opposing forces are applied to the end of the rail and the end of the barrel.

JulyAZ
12-20-16, 21:32
I have both, on separate uppers, and I'm keeping both.

If I had to choose one over the other it would be the RIS II. But that doesn't mean nothing because I don't have to choose.

MegademiC
12-20-16, 21:39
Can you quantify how the dd is holding you back?

If so, switch.

If not, keep as is.

Nightstalker865
12-20-16, 22:53
DD RIS II hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrumpyM4
12-21-16, 02:12
Those 4 little bolts that strip pretty easily vs 6 beefier bolts keep me with the RISII despite the weight. I'll always have a RISII on one of my 6920s.

I replaced the top two screws with cap head bolts like on the RIS II for shits and giggles and used blue locktite on all 4 screws. Went together easy and no stripping. I also highly doubt that the rail will spin out of index when installed correctly.

Much ado about nothing unless installed incorrectly and then that's your fault. The size and number of bolts/screws don't make up for incorrect installation.

Colt-45
12-21-16, 19:31
Thanks for all of your replies. I knew this was the best place to ask, everywhere else seems to be into the newest and coolest things and here I get honest opinions based on what actually works best.

Keep RIS, build a new upper with KMR. No brainer.

That's not an option for me right now. While luckily I do not have to sell any of my guns, I'm in a tight spot where I wont be able to put together anymore AR's for another 1-2 years. Was wanting to set up all of my rifles just right so I wouldn't have to mess with them for a while.

Can you quantify how the dd is holding you back?

If so, switch.

If not, keep as is.

First the price, while I did not get it for a steal, they're about $50 more now than what I paid for it.

Second, these things are rare and hard to come across. I have to sell to buy the KMR, can't have both and if I change my mind later, it will be very difficult to find another one.

Outlander Systems
12-21-16, 19:33
Don't worry, dude. It'll be awhile before my next build, so if you change your mind, I'll sell it back to you for what you sold it to me for.

Feline
12-21-16, 19:38
Don't worry, dude. It'll be awhile before my next build, so if you change your mind, I'll sell it back to you for what you sold it to me for.

He sold it to you, too?

Outlander Systems
12-21-16, 19:40
Dude is sitting on a pile of 'em.

In all seriousness. For some dumb reason the Geissele MK4s are about as hard to find right now as the RIS deuce.

He sold it to you, too?

Colt-45
12-21-16, 20:00
He sold it to you, too?

:blink: Hmm, I haven't sold anything?:confused:

jpmuscle
12-21-16, 20:03
That's just outlander trying to Jedi mind trick you. He's strong with the force

bighawk
12-21-16, 20:06
You certainly wouldn't have a hard time selling it but it's not worth it.. I sold a MK18 RIS II off my AR pistol a year and a half ago and I've been kicking myself ever since.. When I was finally in the market for an SBR I bought a factory DD MK18 so I could have the rail.

Colt-45
12-21-16, 20:17
You certainly wouldn't have a hard time selling it but it's not worth it.. I sold a MK18 RIS II off my AR pistol a year and a half ago and I've been kicking myself ever since.. When I was finally in the market for an SBR I bought a factory DD MK18 so I could have the rail.

That one I am for sure not selling. My AR pistol is heavy as **** compared to other AR pistols since I'm running a Noveske SS .300 blk out barrel under the DD MK18 rail but on that one the awesomeness easily counters the weight :)

I was lucky enough to come across a DD MK18 rail BNIB earlier this summer, the only other option would have been to buy the MK18 upper, remove the rail and sell the parts separate. That would have been too much work and the rail would have ended up costing waaaay too much.

bighawk
12-21-16, 20:23
Mine was the Noveske SS 10.5 in 556.. It was a straight up tank and the most accurate barrel under 16 I've ever owned.

I found an engagement ring (for my now wife) I wanted to buy which was too nice to pass up. Long story short I needed a few more bucks than I had saved and didn't wanna take a loan so I sold the whole upper and got the ring but I still kick myself every day thinking I shoulda sold something else.

Colt-45
12-22-16, 03:09
I think I'm going to keep the rail and slowly turn the rifle into an M4A1 clone.

I have the main components, DD M4 RIS II FDE rail, milspec upper, milspec lower, 14.5" barrel.

Furbyballer
12-22-16, 17:27
I would definitely keep it. I sold one of mine and ended up buying it back when I had the chance haha.

Colt-45
12-23-16, 21:35
Long ways to go but at least the main components are there:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/eL_OriGinaL650/Screenshot_2016-12-23-16-53-54-1_zpsivtzvifh.jpg

ruckusjuice
12-24-16, 08:30
I think I'm going to keep the rail and slowly turn the rifle into an M4A1 clone.

I have the main components, DD M4 RIS II FDE rail, milspec upper, milspec lower, 14.5" barrel.

I think that's the right call. A few years ago, I traded for a used BCM 14.5" ELW-F mid-length rifle at a gun show. It had a 13" KMR rail. I absolutely love the light weight of it and I use it as my patrol rifle. It's definitely not as durable as a RIS II though. I managed to tear a small sliver of metal off one of the rail slots while mounting a stubborn X300U at 12 o'clock. I've never seen that happen with a quality quad rail like a RIS.

markm
12-25-16, 12:35
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/IMG_1274_zpsxhx4guqk.jpg

ExplorinInTheWoods
12-26-16, 08:07
I was about to suggest making a sopmod clone. I thought about buying the noveske like you have because they had the ris ii and sopmod stocks and you could get a surefire flash hider. A lot of the clone nazis will be pissed though because regiment and group just got a bunch of the warcomps in so now the flash hider isn't "clone correct" haha

scooter22
12-26-16, 10:38
Are you jumping out of choppers with your rifle?

If yes, keep the DD (I prefer the KAC 3.1).

If not, I'll take a KMR.

HardLuck682
12-30-16, 21:17
I say stick with the RIS II...but maybe I'm a little bias.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161231/74031a28b64d595b7f14cda8525199c8.jpg