PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon MRO or Vortex UH-1

ExplorinInTheWoods
12-22-16, 07:59
For my AR pistol I'm going red dot, I can get triji stuff at discount as well as vortex, I get a bigger discount on vortex but price wise they're about the same after discount. I've shot a little bit with the MRO but obviously not the vortex. I love the eotech reticle and have an xps that I could probably move from my dad's upper he doesn't use. I know the trijicon is rugged, good battery life and I love all trijicon stuff, (accupoints, accupowers, vcog). The vortex has the reticle I prefer as I'm not a fan of a small dot I find myself searching for it in cqb distances. The vortex also looks like it has a built in mount which is nice. So I have all the parts to finish the pistol besides the red dot so the big question is trijicon, vortex or see if my dad will give me the eotech since he runs a leupold mark ar on his main carbine.

inune
12-22-16, 08:37
Is this for fun/demo or HD/must-gotta-work? Seems like based on your initial description for you all things are equal and you would be weighing risk and time.

With the caveat of you will be testing anything you buy:
If you are needing something you can depend on now: MRO - as reputation and years of use overrides new hotness
If this is for fun (and maybe serious use later) and you don't mind being an early and the associated risks: UH-1
If you are more risk averse, a borrow (XPS)/wait-and-see approach might be valid as it buys you time to make a more informed decision (assuming you don't break a borrowed item and have to replace it :P). Or slap some irons on there. But I would end on one of the other two.

Didn't vote - because I don't fully understand your needs. Personally I am considering a UH-1.

ExplorinInTheWoods
12-22-16, 11:00
It's a home defense 10.5 carbine length. I'd keep it at my parents place for them, I'm stationed at Bragg so I don't have a need for it. I rather have him have a little AR pistol with a good red dot and light than him using his glock 21 for something that goes bump in the night. I know it's easy to hate on eotech but this gun won't be exposed to 140 or -40 temp, the eotech we have has yet to give us any problems. They released a study and eotech has 4 moa shift while aimpoint has 3.5, if the eotech's were truly as messed up as everyone says you would see group, regiment, seals and all the other SOF units ditching them.

inune
12-22-16, 13:16
I don't disagree on your application/environs. I had an EXPS years ago and had no problems with it. Ended up going with a different solution (Aimpoint H1) before all the eotech hoopla.

I am now also looking at options for a project similar to what you listed.

bighawk
12-22-16, 14:48
Trijicon MRO has been a solid optic for me I would take that over the others for an HD gun as I am a fan of the single dot.

With that said since you have the ability go get an XPS at no cost I would take that over buying anything and at least see if you like it for its intended use before you buy something else.

GH41
12-22-16, 17:44
It's a home defense 10.5 carbine length. I'd keep it at my parents place for them, I'm stationed at Bragg so I don't have a need for it. I rather have him have a little AR pistol with a good red dot and light than him using his glock 21 for something that goes bump in the night. I know it's easy to hate on eotech but this gun won't be exposed to 140 or -40 temp, the eotech we have has yet to give us any problems. They released a study and eotech has 4 moa shift while aimpoint has 3.5, if the eotech's were truly as messed up as everyone says you would see group, regiment, seals and all the other SOF units ditching them.

Didn't you say a while back that you dad was a MACV-SOG vet, 69 years old and used to work for colt? I cannot imagine him doing anything but laughing at an AR pistol.

Digital_Damage
12-23-16, 08:17
this is stilly... you are asking for an opinion on an optic that has not hit the street yet.

And when it does hit the street you are comparing technology that is not even the same.

if you get right down to the nitty and take emotion out of the situation, people are either RDS people or Holo.

Digital_Damage
12-23-16, 08:18

Our official study was not that bad, but the ratio seems right.

They all shift.

ExplorinInTheWoods
12-23-16, 09:06
A 10.5 carbine length gas system makes more sense to him that a 7.5 pistol length gas set up. He likes short guns because he ran a xm177 with MACV. The AR pistol build is nothing more than a sbr with a brace instead of a stock. Yes when he was at colt in the 90's ar pistols were a joke but now that people have figured out anything below 10.5 is iffy and the various gas blocks and buffer systems it's a different ball game. 10 years ago people looked at you funny for having anything besides a bird cage flash hider on an ar