PDA

View Full Version : BCM A5 Question

user
12-22-16, 17:20
Guys, I tried to research and was unable to find out.

Are the BCM receiver extension's that use the A5 system marked somehow to indicate that they take the A5 buffer? The Vltor's are laser marked A5. Thanks !

SomeOtherGuy
12-22-16, 20:20
Not sure if they are marked, but like any A5 tube they are 3/4" longer than a standard carbine buffer tube (receiver extension), which is easy to measure with a ruler and obvious without a ruler to most of the sort of people who would install or swap out buffers and springs.

Iraqgunz
12-22-16, 20:31
It's not marked and nor does it really need to be. When you buy it, it is clearly sold as an A5 receiver extension. As I recall it has 8 position and the rear of the tube has a 45 slope where the locking lug channel is located.

Guys, I tried to research and was unable to find out.

Are the BCM receiver extension's that use the A5 system marked somehow to indicate that they take the A5 buffer? The Vltor's are laser marked A5. Thanks !

Clint
12-22-16, 20:52
Regardless of whatever combination of buffer components are installed, a quick static check of running the charging handle all the way back will reveal if the reciprocating assembly is in basic order.

user
12-22-16, 23:50
Im not interested in ID'ng it as an A5.

I cant stand the white lettering lasered on the Vitor. Want to make sure the BCM didn't have that lettering on it.

Thanks!

goaltendah1
12-23-16, 08:12
I just looked at my BCM A5 tube and there isn't any white lettering on the tube anywhere.

user
12-23-16, 09:05
I just looked at my BCM A5 tube and there isn't any white lettering on the tube anywhere.

Thats what I needed. Thank you Goaltendah1! Im going to order a few. Happy Holidays !!!

Mrgunsngear
12-23-16, 13:29

Same here. I have one on my MK12; no markings

fallenromeo
12-23-16, 16:02
Im not interested in ID'ng it as an A5.

I cant stand the white lettering lasered on the Vitor. Want to make sure the BCM didn't have that lettering on it.

Thanks!

The magpul 10 position A5 tube doesn't have any markings on it either. Just an FYI if you are looking around for non-Vltor options

WS6
12-23-16, 17:59
The Magpul tube looked nicer, machining-wise than the BCM, but the BCM was something like 1/2 oz lighter. Neither of mine are all lasered up. That said, if you want to hurt your eyes, my Leupold MK6 and G-mount look like a Sham-Wow billboard uptop, lol!

user
12-23-16, 22:10
The Magpul tube looked nicer, machining-wise than the BCM, but the BCM was something like 1/2 oz lighter. Neither of mine are all lasered up. That said, if you want to hurt your eyes, my Leupold MK6 and G-mount look like a Sham-Wow billboard uptop, lol!

Thanks WS6!

Its crazy that these things are looking like billboards these days!

Merry Christmas

Kain
12-23-16, 22:15

What difference between the tubes made the BCM lighter? Am curious mostly for the techincal side of things there. And wanting to do a couple builds with A5s.

And yeah, I think we had a thread about companies marking the ever living shit out of their product. I understand marking it. I really do. But, can be be discreet? Then again, I see lots of people who get the sticker from the manufacturer when they buy a gun, and instead of slapping it on the bumper, their safe, their tool box, or gaming system, they slap it on the stock, barrel, foreend, ect of their gun so there is a literal 8x1 or 2 inch billboard on the gun so it probably doesn't matter to a lot. But, more discreet or less popping markings would be welcome.

WS6
12-23-16, 22:23
What difference between the tubes made the BCM lighter? Am curious mostly for the techincal side of things there. And wanting to do a couple builds with A5s.

And yeah, I think we had a thread about companies marking the ever living shit out of their product. I understand marking it. I really do. But, can be be discreet? Then again, I see lots of people who get the sticker from the manufacturer when they buy a gun, and instead of slapping it on the bumper, their safe, their tool box, or gaming system, they slap it on the stock, barrel, foreend, ect of their gun so there is a literal 8x1 or 2 inch billboard on the gun so it probably doesn't matter to a lot. But, more discreet or less popping markings would be welcome.

The adjustment hole area was where bcm cut weight as best I can tell

t15
12-24-16, 12:36
Yes, the front and rear of the adjustment track have open ends instead of being closed. Spent my own money to get some answers, BCM is the best A5 tube, here's why..

Comparing the 4 different a5 tubes, 6 pos vltor, 7 pos vltor, 8 pos bcm, and 10 pos magpul..

The 7, 8, and 10 position tubes all have the same 1st position hole. The 6 pos 1st position matches the bcm 2nd position. If you compare the 7 and 10 to these other tubes, their 2nd position hole is further back, resulting in a longer LOP.

If you have a carbine stock, like magpul SL-K or BCM gunfighter, they will collapse to the 2nd positon on the 7, 8, and 10 tubes. A magpul SL, STR, or vltor imod will collapse to the 1st position on 7, 8, and 10.

In short, bcm has intelligently placed the 2nd position hole on their 8 pos tube to allow the lowest LOP using a carbine stock while maintaining the 1st position for longer stocks. Why vltor did not use this to begin with is a mystery to me.

FYI, magpul SL is the same lop as bcm gunfighter on any of the a5 tubes, except the 6 position. The difference between the magpul and bcm 2nd position holes is very small, the magpul tube is definitely a better choice than a vltor 7 position. The vltor 6 position is still a fine choice if you only use short carbine stocks.

On another note!!! Bcm gunfighter is shorter lop than magpul SLK, unless you remove the butt pad, then magpul takes it by a hair. I love the bcm stock and a5 tube, seems like BCM really figured this stuff out.