PDA

View Full Version : Watch guys: Swiss-made Rolex Daytona replica?

Skyyr
12-24-16, 10:21
So, I won an iPad Air 2 as a door prize and I don't really need it, so I listed it for sale. Guy messages me and asks me if I'm interested in a trade for a Swiss-made Rolex replica (i.e. fake/replica). Says it's worth about $850 retail. He found it in a storage locker he bought and had it checked out by a jeweler. The jeweler (supposedly) said you cannot tell it apart from a real Rolex without opening it, and confirmed it was a Swiss-made replica after opening it and inspecting it. It's a replica of the 2016 Rolex Daytona, which costs north of $20k for the real thing. He's out of money and needs a last-minute gift, so he's offering a straight trade. He's prior-service and he seems like an honest guy, so I have no reason to disbelieve him.

I'm not very well versed in watches, though I have a few I consider nice. Would this be a good trade? If I went to sell/trade later, would the watch keep its value?

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/ZiqEh

Thanks!

contax_shooter
12-24-16, 10:28
When someone tells you a Bushmaster is basically a Colt and cannot tell it apart from any other quality AR, do you believe them?

Sam
12-24-16, 10:34
I've had a couple of Rolex replicas, Submariner and GMT. They don't have any Rolex logo or anything to identify as "Rolex", the watches are just copies using Swiss and Chinese movements. Similar movements as used by lower end Seiko, etc. The Swiss movement runs great while the Chinese movement is way behind on reliability. These watches are not replacement for my real Rolex GMT or any of my Omegas. But from a distance, they look like real Rolex and even feel like one as the weight is very close. They case and band feel solid and have the same heft as the real thing. But they're gimmick watches and I wear them shooting and doing yard work, etc. where they may become damage. I paid less than $250 for each watch. So if they are damaged I wouldn't worry too much.

You said you had a jeweler looked inside. Was he able to determine what movement it has. That is important. You're swapping an ipad that's worth several hundred dollars for an unknown replica. A cheap and low quality movement can quit running, keep poor time, or run erratically. If it dies, you have a worthless wrist weight.

It's your risk, your ipad to lose. There are more trustworthy watches from reliable manufacturers if you want a watch that has the same look/style as a Rolex but at fraction of the cost.

Det-Sog
12-24-16, 10:40
It's an abomination that needs to be destroyed. Sorry.

For the same coin, get a nice Seiko dive watch. A real one that will outlast that fake POS by years. It's one thing to wear a homage like Sam has (something that just "looks" like a Rolex), but when they fake the brand name and logo to deceive, that crosses the line. Sorry... Only fake people wear fake stuff. Just my two cents as a "watch guy".

Hmac
12-24-16, 10:47
Bwahahah. That's hilarious.

Go to any tourist destination in Mexico. The Rolex's they try to hawk you will start at $850, and you'll negotiate them down to $50. You are being offered a sucker's bet. Don't be a sucker.

Skyyr
12-24-16, 11:37
Thanks guys. I thought as much, but thought I'd double-check in the event it ended up being a decent deal.

Thanks again!

WillBrink
12-24-16, 11:59
So, I won an iPad Air 2 as a door prize and I don't really need it, so I listed it for sale. Guy messages me and asks me if I'm interested in a trade for a Swiss-made Rolex replica (i.e. fake/replica). Says it's worth about $850 retail. He found it in a storage locker he bought and had it checked out by a jeweler. The jeweler (supposedly) said you cannot tell it apart from a real Rolex without opening it, and confirmed it was a Swiss-made replica after opening it and inspecting it. It's a replica of the 2016 Rolex Daytona, which costs north of $20k for the real thing. He's out of money and needs a last-minute gift, so he's offering a straight trade. He's prior-service and he seems like an honest guy, so I have no reason to disbelieve him.

I'm not very well versed in watches, though I have a few I consider nice. Would this be a good trade? If I went to sell/trade later, would the watch keep its value?

Thanks!

There's some very well made replicas that can run several k, but most are most like $50-$75 on the streets of NYC. Without actually seeing it and physically hard to know. Replicas do not hold their value as a rule. Unless you just want it cuz you want it, I'd pass.

Pilot1
12-24-16, 12:05
I agree with the others. A fake is a crapshoot, and a violation of patents, etc. Nobody knows if it has a quality Swiss movement, like an ETA 2824 or similar, until it is opened, and examined. Also, there are different levels of movement, and how they are finished. Homages are a different story.

fledge
12-24-16, 12:26
True replicas are illegal. I wouldn't touch it for multiple reasons.

You can find many Rolex homage watches that are legal however, if that's what you want. They don't say Rolex but the brand that made the homage.

SteyrAUG
12-24-16, 13:06

Thanks!

It's not Swiss Made. I know it says so on the dial, but so does every other fake.

Now Japan and Switzerland both make high grade replicas using real gold and copies of the same movement, but they sell for a LOT more than $850 and I'm not even sure that's actually a SolidSwiss replica.

But more importantly both replicas aren't great watches to begin with. And ebay doesn't allow the sale of Rolex replicas so you'd be stuck with it. I'd tell him to sell his fake watch and then buy your ipad.

TomMcC
12-24-16, 14:08
If it actually says "Rolex" on it, isn't that thievery?

JoshNC
12-24-16, 14:45
Pass. Forgeries are not worth owning and if it has the brand labeling it is illegal.

JC5188
12-24-16, 14:49
No...just....no.

Anytime someone says they have a "Swiss made" replica, run. And that's not even getting into the ethical issues.

The shitty pics are another give-away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usmcvet
12-24-16, 16:36
I would pass. Sell it and buy something you want. Or get a quality known watch in trade. There are lots of cool Rolex type watches out there. I like my Marathon JDD. I like Yobokies work. http://www.mywatchmart.com/users/yobokies/

http://www.mywatchmart.com/listing/49543-fs-new-seiko-h3-mod-us160/

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-25-16, 00:21
I remember bargaining with street vendors in Bahrain for faux-lex's. Prices would start so laughably high and end for pocket change.

interfan
12-25-16, 02:51
Bwahahah. That's hilarious.

Go to any tourist destination in Mexico. The Rolex's they try to hawk you will start at $850, and you'll negotiate them down to $50. You are being offered a sucker's bet. Don't be a sucker.

I bought one of those for a laugh in Tijuana when I was in high school. It was a real fake gold Submariner that turned my wrist green and actually said "ROLMEX" on the dial. The guy I bought it from charged $20 and threw in a Macho Mouse tshirt. It didn't last very long, but did impress some 20something girls from the local junior college.

ramairthree
12-25-16, 13:16
Pass.
He probably paid 75 bucks for it at a stand outside the PX on BAF when he was rotating out.