PDA

View Full Version : DPMS Oracle....

C4IGrant
12-26-16, 14:20
Got one into the shop and was able to measure the GP size (16" barrel, carbine length gas system). It was .071. For those that do not know, it should be .061-.063.

The carrier key was actually staked well, but the screw heads were under sized so there was large gaps. The bolt was binding hard in the barrel extension. The dimpling on the barrel for GB was very shallow. No loctite on the GB screws either.

So when people recommend DPMS, point them here....

C4

leibermuster
12-26-16, 15:20
So many Crap AR's are sold in the US, it must be a sign of lowering of IQ scores in the USA.

Iraqgunz
12-26-16, 15:46
Is this the version that uses the aluminum gas block?

Got one into the shop and was able to measure the GP size (16" barrel, carbine length gas system). It was .071. For those that do not know, it should be .061-.063.

The carrier key was actually staked well, but the screw heads were under sized so there was large gaps. The bolt was binding hard in the barrel extension. The dimpling on the barrel for GB was very shallow. No loctite on the GB screws either.

So when people recommend DPMS, point them here....

C4

C4IGrant
12-26-16, 15:54
Is this the version that uses the aluminum gas block?

I believe it was Alum. as it felt pretty lite for its size.

C4

Iraqgunz
12-26-16, 18:06
Yeah, that's the one. We had one come through a class and you could see the gas leakage around the block as it heated up.

I believe it was Alum. as it felt pretty lite for its size.

C4

AKjeff
12-26-16, 18:18
Would any coatings (melonite?) make an aluminum gas block suitable?
Someone mentioned this to me, I don't recall if it was melonite or something else.
I decided to avoid it anyway.
My rail came with a SS block that I plan to use.

I can't see a coating lowering the melting point of the base material.

nova3930
12-26-16, 18:33
Would any coatings (melonite?) make an aluminum gas block suitable?
Someone mentioned this to me, I don't recall if it was melonite or something else.
I decided to avoid it anyway.
My rail came with a SS block that I plan to use.

I can't see a coating lowering the melting point of the base material.
Thermal expansion coefficient of AL is what it is. If you slowed down the rate of heat transfer it would extend the length of shooting time before you had an issue but you'd still have one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

AKjeff
12-26-16, 19:01
Thanks, I had read that elsewhere and forgotten it.