PDA

View Full Version : ALG EMR, how tight?

bb223
12-27-16, 03:22
I emailed ALG asking but they haven't gotten back to me yet and, for the record, I'm only asking for feedback on the EMR install process. I have no reason to suspect there is anything wrong with my rail.

I'm just curious about how tightly other people's EMRs installed onto their barrel nut. I have not been able to get mine fully on by hand yet and I don't want to go "full force" to seat it until my gas tube gets here and I get it and the gas block installed.

I just envisioned being able to fully install the rail by hand with just a bit of force, but I don't see being able to install it without having the upper clamped into a vice block as it seems to be a very very precise fit.

Anyone else have this experience with their EMRs? Anybody even go as far as heating the rail with a heat gun or hair dryer before the install?

Kenneth
12-27-16, 04:26
I don't have a ALG rail but do have a SMR1 and I have to hear the rail with a blow dryer to install it. It is super tight in the barrel but.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
12-27-16, 04:29
I tapped my rail onto the barrel nut using a gunsmithing hammer to fully seat it. I also applied a small amount of Slip2000 to the inside of the rail prior to installation.

bb223
12-27-16, 04:50
Alright sounds good.

I think I'll definitely heat it in addition to the Slip2k EWL I was already planning to use.

Thanks for the input.

opngrnd
12-27-16, 05:51
I'm approaching a dozen of these guys. I've had from "slipped right on" to "very snug". Usually the last 1/2 to 1/4 needs to be tapped into place. I'd just reconfirm that there aren't any burrs.

Tigereye
12-27-16, 06:00
I have 3 of them. I put a little Slip2000 on all of them but only one of them needed a tap. Never had to heat one.

teksid
12-27-16, 06:49
I just pushed mine on by hand. I don't remember having to tap it.

D_M
12-27-16, 07:00
For the most part, they fit snug. After first attempting to install it by hand, it stopped with about 1/4" left to go.

I sparingly applied some Aeroshell 64 (33MS) on the barrel nut and it slipped right on by hand.

TexasAggie2005
12-27-16, 09:34
I had to gently tap mine on with a rubber mallet.

26 Inf
12-27-16, 09:53
I've used eight of the ALG rails so far, Versions 0, 1 and 2. I know the last four I've received shipped with the nut inserted into the tube. They've all slip-fit snug. I've never had to force/tap any of them. The V1 and V2 rails have all been M-lock.

The only complaint I have is that I find it is easier to install the machine screws holding the rail to the barrel nut if I first run a tap to chase the threads in the barrel nut.

At this point I don't even look at other rails, I just order an ALG.

hk_shootr
12-27-16, 09:58
Installion calls for a bit of oil and wiggling it into position.

Frank_Jameson
12-27-16, 19:37
My sample size of one was a very precise fit. It didn't didn't need to be tapped on, but it wasn't loose either.