PDA

View Full Version : Who's interested in a Leupold Mark 4 2.5-8 with MIL knobs?

gunnerblue
12-27-16, 12:03
Hi,

Just like the title says, would anyone be interested in a MK 4 MR/T with matching knobs and reticle? I recently discovered through another site (and member of this forum) that Leupold will upgrade the 2.5-8 MR/T with MIL knobs. One of the biggest complaints I've always heard about this optic is the mismatched turrets and reticle.

With this option, I'm curious to know if any of you would choose the MK 4 over something similar (NXS 2.5--10, LRHS, etc). I was quoted $130 by Leupold for the conversion, so I suppose price point is still a consideration.

Thanks for your time

SomeOtherGuy
12-27-16, 15:45
You know that the Mark 4 line is being discontinued in 2017, right? Now is a good time for closeout deals.

At closeout pricing ($850 at Natchez) the 2.5-8x is just an OK deal. If you need illumination, it's an OK deal. If you don't need illumination I think other scopes are better. The LRHS is not perfectly apples/apples because it's slightly larger/heavier and has a 3-12x magnification range, but in terms of overall quality I would strongly prefer it over the Mark 4, when it costs very little more as long as you don't need illumination.

The illuminated LRHS and the Nightforce are much more expensive than the current prices on that Mark 4. I think they are both better scopes, but if money is any issue it's again not an equal comparison.

I didn't enjoy my only experience using Leupold service - they damaged a scope that wasn't damaged when sent in - so I wouldn't be inclined to send them $130 and a new scope to get a feature it should have had originally.

gunnerblue
12-27-16, 17:43
I did not know that, guess it explains the price drops.