PDA

View Full Version : Light for my sons new G19

Pappabear
12-27-16, 19:22
Are there any lights that sit flush to the end of the barrel of the G19?

if not, what is the best option?

Thanks PB

Uprange41
12-27-16, 19:29
Surefire XC1, made specifically for the G19.

Or at least primarily for the G19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12-27-16, 19:39
I like the functionality of the Inforce APL. It sticks past the muzzle maybe about 3/4".

bighawk
12-27-16, 20:16
Surefire XC1 is flush fit and the Inforce APL is a bit longer however same width as the G19.

OIPactual
12-27-16, 20:37
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161228/0c4515e2c0f93410f47d14cf072c974d.jpg

I have the xc1 and really like it. However there are a couple drawbacks.

1. Constant on is not ambidextrous
2. The beam pattern is very wide so outdoors it can be a bit under powered
3. It likes the lithium batteries the best and they are expensive and hard to find (locally)

I love the size, it's very easy to conceal. It's lightweight, durable, and the controls are intuitive.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wake27
12-27-16, 20:43
Haven't used it, but the XC1 really was designed to be the perfect concealed carry companion to the 19. Lots of holsters too for a relatively uncommon light, such as the Raven Morrigan and even Safariland 7TS now. I need one. But I need a second Glock too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_Stormin_
12-27-16, 20:54
XC1 - I have two, one on my primary G19 and one on my back up G19 (which is an identical pistol). All of the pros and drawbacks have been mentioned here, and honestly, triple A batteries are easy enough to buy on Amazon and have around the house.

OIPactual
12-27-16, 21:08
XC1 - I have two, one on my primary G19 and one on my back up G19 (which is an identical pistol). All of the pros and drawbacks have been mentioned here, and honestly, triple A batteries are easy enough to buy on Amazon and have around the house.
I forgot to mention this. I order my batteries online. I have a hardware store close to me that has agreed to keep some on hand.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jpgm
12-28-16, 00:33
PB,
They certainly don't fit flush but the tlr-1 hl (630 lumen) on my duty pistol has been outstanding. No regrets. I'm a small guy but I can easily conceal that pistol/ light combo in my Raven concealment holster.

jpgm

Pappabear
12-29-16, 18:45
thanks guys, great info! Ill pass it on to my son.

PB

DBake
12-31-16, 12:47
I thought the xc1 had some functionality issues after semi-hard use....

KentuckyWindage
12-31-16, 13:14
I thought the xc1 had some functionality issues after semi-hard use....

Could you please speak a little more on this?

DBake
12-31-16, 15:06
Could you please speak a little more on this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wFC2Tu5fR5s

KentuckyWindage
12-31-16, 15:43
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wFC2Tu5fR5s

I didn't see any problems with the light other than non activation when pressed 1 out of 99 times? Did I miss something?

DBake
12-31-16, 16:08
I didn't see any problems with the light other than non activation when pressed 1 out of 99 times? Did I miss something?

You asked for an example of what I heard/seen/read, this is one....I don't own the xc-1, actually want one just as others do and looking for the most up to date info as the original post is, if you have other info please share or chill out....

Pappabear
12-31-16, 17:05
Looks good to me.

3ACR_Scout
12-31-16, 17:26
I was interested in the XC1 but decided to wait for a year or two to see if Surefire makes any updates to it. Just reading the reviews of users on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B016WN9WL6/ref=acr_search_see_all?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews&showViewpoints=1), it sounds like some units has reliability issues after a limited amount of live fire. A couple users report that the light starts to flicker and then shuts off, and it can only be "reset" by removing the battery and reinstalling it. At least one user stated that after additional use, even that didn't fix it, and the light stopped working completely. Here's one example:

"UPDATE: So after more than 6 months of living with this light, I have a solid conclusion based on my experience with 3 of these models. Yes, 3 of these have failed me in a row. They flicker, and sometimes just completely shutoff with no explanation and the only way to make it work again is to unscrew the battery cap off and then rescrew it back on. On top of that, the material the battery cap is made out of is garbage, its extremely brittle and maluable and you'll strip the thing to the point where its virtually unusable. This light is ridiculously unreliable, underpowered compared to an Inforce APL (APL has better flood and hot beam lighting), and way overpriced. To top that off, there's seriously zero customer service from Surefire. NONE. Honestly, coming from someone who's tried hard to like this light, I mean I went through 3 of them, stay away. You'll be utterly dissapointed and just over all frustrated. Surefire, I'm so dissapointed in this model..."

I'm sure other people, including some here, have had no issues with it, but there seem to be too many common complaints in the reviews on Amazon related to reliability and the function of the on/off button that this light may not be living up to Surefire's normally awesome reputation.

3ACR_Scout
12-31-16, 17:26
Accidental duplicate post. Never realized you can't delete your own posts.

_Stormin_
12-31-16, 19:32
On top of that, the material the battery cap is made out of is garbage, its extremely brittle and maluable and you'll strip the thing to the point where its virtually unusable. This light is ridiculously unreliable, underpowered compared to an Inforce APL (APL has better flood and hot beam lighting), and way overpriced.
I always take Amazon reviews with a big grain of salt, but this is complete garbage. The battery cap is fine, and the moment people start to talk about how much better another cheaper product they bought is, it really just sounds like they're trying to justify their purchase.

CGSteve
01-01-17, 20:21
Another positive vote for the XC1. I normally wear it in a Raven holster, IWB, but if I need to, it fits pretty fine in a Sarafiland ALS that was designed for an X300. I am not sure if there is an ALS holster specifically for the 19 with XC1 combo. Some of the previous posters mentioned a 7TS which I'll need to check out.

Straight Shooter
01-01-17, 20:39
Another vote for Inforce. AWESOME light.

Hapworth
01-03-17, 10:37
The skepticism toward negative reviews of the XC1 is curious -- problems with the design have been discussed at some length here on the forum:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?164201-Surefire-XC1
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?179518-Surefire-XC1-Issue
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?186726-Review-Surefire-XC1-Surefire-Customer-Service
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?189654-Surefire-XC1-switches-popped-off

Caeser25
01-07-17, 12:31
I'd wait until after shot show. That's what I'm doing. I know as soon as I were to buy the Inforce, some I like better is going to be released.

G17L
01-07-17, 14:25
I've had the surefire Xc1 on a dedicated HD G19 for approximately 10 months. I use it every night while locking up the house and practice firing while operating it maybe every 2 months. I would say I've run ~2000 rounds with it and have not experienced any issues so far. I find the 200 lumens and beam pattern adequate, and prefer it over higher output lights for indoor use.

Trepang
01-07-17, 15:22
My Sreamlight TLR-1 HL (800 lumen) showed up yesterday. I like the switches on the Streamlights - very user friendly.

Pictured below is the TLR-1 HL on a Glock 19 and a regular TLR-1 on a Glock 30SF.

lawusmc0844
01-07-17, 17:32
I always take Amazon reviews with a big grain of salt, but this is complete garbage. The battery cap is fine, and the moment people start to talk about how much better another cheaper product they bought is, it really just sounds like they're trying to justify their purchase.

Really, so because something costs $100+ more its automatically better? Surefire does make good stuff but overpriced and way behind the curve as well. I have 2 Surefire G2X Tacticals mounted to my AR15s that only give me 320 lumens which is not enough for me at night and I think I paid $80 each for them a few years back when MSRP was nearly $100. Surefire still sells the G2X but its the exact same light with same 320 lumen output I bought 4 years ago, only difference now their MSRP is $70. A little cheaper but still pricey for what you get.

My Fenix PD35 cost me $60, comes with a switch that allows for 5 output settings + strobe, has memory so it remembers the last output setting and gives me a max output of 960 lumens! I've had it for 4 months but so far no problems, and I've used it for work, nighttime shooting and EDC. I like it so much I already bought a second one. The only downsides are the batteries don't last as long at 960 lumens (obviously), tail button sticks out past tail cap making light NDs easier and since the body is less than 1" diameter it won't work with my Vltor Scout QD mount I use on my ARs. Other than that I am looking for other Fenix models with 1" diameter body to replace my Surefires. All of Surefires 1000+ lumen options are very expensive and bulky as well.

Surefire products aren't perfect either, I've had to use their customer service twice which was good in my experience but others had the opposite. Here is a thread from "TOS" in which I posted my experiences as well. h t t p s://www(dot)ar15(dot)com/forums/t_3_17/700024_Surefire_Hi_cap_magazine_customer_service__unbeleivable.html

- I bought a pre-LED G2 Nitrolon from a PX in Iraq back in 2008, my very first Surefire product. It died within 10 minutes of use. I emailed Surefire and I mailed it back to Fountain Valley and they had it back to me within a month. Good CS even when I was overseas, if I weren't a fobbit that deployment I would have been very pissed.

- I had a older Surefire X300 mounted to my Springfield MC Operator. The light still worked but the inner lens started to crack from the recoil. I emailed Surefire and they fixed it as well.

I sold it after getting it back as I prefer Streamlight TLR-1s, I just got one X300 to try out and I didn't care for its attachment method and stiff switch. Shortly after Surefire came out with the X300u which had 500 lumens but they just had to make the bezel even longer, so existing X300 holsters are incompatible and pissing me off in the process. Streamlights new 800 lumen HLs are just as reliable as my older 160 lumen TLR-1S while maintaining the same dimensions and still cost nearly $200 cheaper than the X300 series.

I had a Surefire 60 rounder that I sold a few months ago. It randomly give me FTFs and double feeds one time and when I took it apart I couldn't find anything wrong visually. It worked again after reassembly but after that I did not trust that mag again. I didn't get around to contacting Surefire though. I did one more function test before selling, and at that point many people were reporting that Surefire wont even reply to emails anymore. (I prefer email, hate calling customer service) And like that arfcom thread, many people had problems with Surefire mags, junk.

Streamlight's customer service is good to go as well, I had a TLR-2S attached to the same MC Operator which the red laser stopped working but the light still did. One of my older TLR-1S had a crack develop on the polymer switch/tail cap but the light was still working just fine. Both times Streamlight responded quickly, fixed my laser and sent me a new switch and tail cap assembly. So in my experience both companies are not immune to issues and had good CS. However, these days I only use Streamlight and Fenix. The only Surefires I have left are the G2Xs that will soon be replaced with Fenix and a Maximus headlamp I got for free. And no, this is not "justifying my purchase". Streamlight and Fenix have never failed me and I didn't have to pay $500+ for the extra lumens either.

Mrgunsngear
01-07-17, 20:12
I have an XC1 and never had any issues with my sample size of one. That said, I have no doubt there were issues but they do seem to be happening (at least being reported) less as of late.

My review was shot almost exclusively with a G19 FWIW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iaVCTHVYPE&t=3s