PDA

View Full Version : anderson lower?

dylank0723
12-28-16, 15:42
so i'm about to start that build i asked about yesterday and was wondering if anyone has experience with this anderson lower? just wanna know if they are in spec and good to go? thanks http://www.primaryarms.com/product/5042?filter=2star

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
12-28-16, 15:54
If you use the search function you will see that their lowers are all over the place.

so i'm about to start that build i asked about yesterday and was wondering if anyone has experience with this anderson lower? just wanna know if they are in spec and good to go? thanks http://www.primaryarms.com/product/5042?filter=2star

dylank0723
12-28-16, 16:42
If you use the search function you will see that their lowers are all over the place.

i know but at $50 i want to double check, call me OCD

titsonritz
12-28-16, 17:17
Roll of the dice.

fallenromeo
12-28-16, 17:22
You will probably be ok. Majority of them are good to go, but they are certainly no stranger to having out of spec lowers. So it is up to you if you want to gamble on it

Jewell
12-28-16, 17:42
As others have said, they are hit or miss. I have one, and it's been fine, but I made sure to put good parts in it.

ww2farmer
12-28-16, 18:03
I have 3 Anderson lowers built up myself, and have assisted probably a half dozen guys/buddies build up another 10 or so more............none of them have had any major issues.

All mine wear Magpul grips and there is/was no issue using the screw that comes with the Magpul grips......I have heard some are short threaded and need a shorter screw if using the standard length that comes with A2 grips.

All of mine drop USGI and Gen 3 pmags free, some gen 2 pmags don't drop free in them but some do.

All my uppers (1 Colt 6920, 1 BCM mid length, 1 PSA premium midlength, and one Del-ton midlength) fit on them fine. The PSA premium is the sloppiest fit of the bunch, but that upper fits loose on several non-Anderson lowers I have as well. I have seen sloppier upper to lower fits on factor guns though.

The roll mark on them is gay, and the finish is not as nice as some lowers only costing a few bucks more.

I build my fixed mag NYS compliant lowers on Aero's, because I shoot them more.........since I live in NY, and they are better fit and finish wise. All my Anderson lowers are stored at family/friends homes outside of NY with my mags a short drive away. No sense in buying high $$ lowers for me for this purpose since I only use them a couple times a month.......

IMHO you can do worse for a lower, like some of the garbage polymer ones out there, or some of the cast jobs that used to float around in the 80's and 90's

I think of them as the bare minimum of acceptable, and if I was in a different situation, I would buy something else.

Kdubya
12-28-16, 20:29
There are a TON of Anderson lowers floating around out there. For the price, they're a good value. Occasionally you'll see reports of the milling being either a little sloppy or a little too tight. It won't necessarily mean there will be issues with fit or function, but every now and then you might see a report of a lower needing to go back to them. Still, imagining how many lowers they must be churning out each year makes me think any issues affecting function are pretty uncommon. Honestly, the most common complaint I see is related to their grip screw. Apparently there was a point in time where the thread depth was about 1/4" shorter than standard. Some claimed Anderson did it purposefully after finding a problem with standard screws inhibiting FCGs. Others argued it was a SNAFU that got missed by QC. What the true reason was is anyone's guess, but they sell a shorter screw for a couple bucks if needed. Still, while I feel like I've seen some reports of the grip screw issue somewhat recently (within the past year or two), I can't say if the "problem" still exists.

Back in the summer, I stocked up on a number of different brands of lowers, due to the uncertainty of what might happen in November. Three were from Anderson, which I'd previously never owned. Honestly, the price point makes one wonder, but I can't find anything wrong with them. I don't know if they get all of their raw forgings from the same place, but mine are all Cerro marked. It will come down to how well it's milled, but that particular forging is a perfectly acceptable "blank canvas". Some bigger, and much more highly regarded brands have and do use Cerro forgings. So, if finished correctly, there shouldn't be any issues with durability.

Of the three Andersons I purchased, one has been built. It went together without any problems and functions just fine. With the election over, and our rights appearing to have survived, I'll probably sell the other two. Not because I'm disappointed in the quality. I'm just not a big fan of the roll mark.

Two closing observations.

One. Just know that resale value will have a lower ceiling. Everyone knows they're inexpensive. In spite of most being perfectly serviceable, it's hard to overcome the "cheap build" stigma when saying one's "custom" build rests on an Anderson lower. Even if all of the other parts are verifiably high end. They just won't command the same money as an identical build with only a different lower.

Two. And this relates more to the vendor your thinking of and is less about Anderson. If you go with Primary Arms, you can buy with a bit more confidence. They really stand behind everything they sell, and have some top notch customer service. So, on the off chance something is awry with the lower, I have to believe PA will take care of you.

Good luck with your eventual build and shoot the hell out of whatever you go with!

Singlestack Wonder
12-28-16, 20:51
Anderson components have demonstrated problems since their introduction. While the low tier fanboys continue to rationalize that Anderson replaces the problem components, that doesn't negate the fact that they continue to produce low quality crap.

Do yourself a favor, buy Colt, BCM, DD, etc. and spend time shooting vs. sending back defective parts from low tier manufacturers.

For those that insist the low tier manufacturers are "just as good", there is "TOS" where those low tier manufacturers are given the praise they don't deserve...

C4IGrant
12-28-16, 20:52
Be aware that you are doing all your own QC. How much do you know about the specs of a lower. Do you have any way to gauge dimensions and then bounce them against the TDP?

OCD people should probably avoid.

C4

dylank0723
12-28-16, 22:10
thanks guys, i don't care about resell value or the coolness factor. all the internals will be BCM, Colt, DD, or Noveske. as long as the lower is in spec i don't care, just wanted to make sure it will hold up

Fatorangecat
12-29-16, 09:38
thanks guys, i don't care about resell value or the coolness factor. all the internals will be BCM, Colt, DD, or Noveske. as long as the lower is in spec i don't care, just wanted to make sure it will hold up

Why would you spend money on a Colt LPK and install it in a junk lower? For not much more money you can get a Seekins or Mega. I would take an Aero lower over the Anderson.

BGREID
12-29-16, 10:22
Why go cheap on a main part of the gun? Spend 30 or 40 more bucks and get top quality. For the price of a couple of boxes of ammo you get a better lower.

wildcard600
12-29-16, 10:40
I have to agree with some of the other posters here and suggest you get a better lower. I have an anderson with a screwed up magwell (machined to far forward) and would not consider them again unless I had no other option.

It appears that you are lucky enough to have an FFL that will work with you on special order stuff so I would take advantage of that and get something better.

C4IGrant
12-29-16, 11:57

Wow, this confusing. So you put known good components in it, but buy a questionable lower? Thats like spending a lot of money on the engine of a car, but buying the cheapest frame on the market.

The term "hold Up" means that it was built correctly. For instance, BCM has extra thick anodizing on their lowers. Does the Anderson? No.

Buy the BCM lower and save yourself a lot of hassle.

C4

bighawk
12-29-16, 12:14
I recommend buying a complete BCM lower they are not much more expensive than putting together a lower from scratch if you're going to use all quality parts. Plus you get the BCM trigger. But if you want to purchase a stripped lower to assemble I would definitely buy something nicer than Anderson.

nova3930
12-29-16, 12:48
I recommend buying a complete BCM lower they are not much more expensive than putting together a lower from scratch if you're going to use all quality parts. Plus you get the BCM trigger. But if you want to purchase a stripped lower to assemble I would definitely buy something nicer than Anderson.

A complete BCM (especially a blem) or a Sionics A5 are about the best deal going in lowers at the moment. I've got one of each and couldn't be happier.

I'll also say I've got some Andersons in the safe, both built and stripped. LGS had them at one point 2 for $99 OTD. Keep in mind though that

A. None are "go to" rifles. One is a coyote rifle, one is an AR-57 play toy and one is an SBR I kinda experiment with.

B. I've got a mill and a lathe in the garage that I can use well enough I've got a reasonable expectation I can fix any issues with them if I decide it's warranted over just taking a torch to bad ones.

C. I've only ever had minor issues them, revolving around the aforementioned grip screw.

Firefly
12-29-16, 13:18
Yeah....M4C really isn't the place to champion economy lowers.

You either have money for competent gear or you don't. Save up and get something decent.

Not a diss, just saying

ETA

The most "economical" I would go would be a Brownell's A1 Lower. For like a project or whatever. Otherwise, I would only really do LMT, Colt, BCM, Noveske, et al.

I have a complete BCM lower and while they aren't crazy expensive (fairly priced rather), you do get your money's worth.

There are wrong answers in the AR world

Wake27
12-29-16, 13:33
i know but at $50 i want to double check, call me OCD

He didn't mean all over as in they're easy to find because they're good, he meant their specs are all over the place.

dylank0723
12-29-16, 14:05
if they aren't consistent then i'll get a stripped SOLGW which are 89 right now. i'm getting two, one for a mk18 pistol that will be a SBR later on, and one to build a 16in with a giessele rail and probably a 1-4 or 1-6 leupold or vortex scope. i don't like junk parts, but i do like saving money. but i'm not gonna buy something that is out of spec or crap

Outlander Systems
12-29-16, 14:06
Don't.

If Hill dawg was El Presidente I'd advise scooping up anything you can lay hands on.

Given the circumstances, there's little reason not to buy once, cry once at this point.

BGREID
12-29-16, 14:47
Don't.

If Hill dawg was El Presidente I'd advise scooping up anything you can lay hands on.

Given the circumstances, there's little reason not to buy once, cry once at this point.

Isn't it great not having to panic buy?

titsonritz
12-29-16, 14:56
Spend $50 on an Anderson when you can spend $70 on a SIONICS (https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/sionicsweaponsystems/lower-receiver-standard-lower-receiver-standard-stripped/)? :haha: :no:

dylank0723
12-29-16, 15:32
Spend $50 on an Anderson when you can spend $70 on a SIONICS (https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/sionicsweaponsystems/lower-receiver-standard-lower-receiver-standard-stripped/)? :haha: :no:

dang i actually forgot about sionics

tehpwnag3
12-29-16, 15:37
Thanks for the link. I just bought one! :big_boss:

Pappabear
12-29-16, 18:42
Some people can not be helped. Or they ask the question after they already bought some cheap parts but say, "I'm looking at XYZ for seventy five cents, is it GTG?" .

crap is crap is crap but you can get lucky or unlucky.

PB

ST911
12-29-16, 19:21
LGS got a big batch of stripped Anderson lowers in. I've seen several guns put together by local builders, some of which ended up as pistols. All are no worse than "okay." Not a premium choice, but viable for deep stocking.

3ACR_Scout
12-29-16, 19:45
Isn't it great not having to panic buy?
I panicked and bought a lower at the end of October. Fortunately it was a BCM A5 from G&R (thanks, Grant!). I have a Noveske stripped Gen II lower that I'm slowly and carefully building (Colt LPK, Noveske pins and rear plate, BCM receiver extension, and Geiselle SSA), but other than that, I'm sticking with BCM, Colt, and LMT complete lowers. Maybe I'm lazy, but I just prefer to minimize the odds that I'll end up with sub-par parts or QC issues when I spend my money. I'll make modifications to them (like triggers) after the fact if I feel the need.

No offense to anyone who likes to build their own. I have thoroughly enjoyed working on the Noveske lower (an expensive one to learn on, so I'm really taking my time), but I only plan on maintaining a few rifles, so I don't want to take any chances with any of them.

dylank0723
12-29-16, 22:33
just placed my order for two Sionics lowers, thanks guys. id always heard that a lower is a lower, i don't mind learning something new though

Nightvisionary
12-30-16, 04:53
From the research I did earlier this year I learned that in the past Anderson had some QC issues and one run of lowers had a non standard thread for the pistol grip bolt. I was a bit hesitant but Aim had them on sale for $39.99 and it appeared the QC issues had been resolved. A buddy and I ordered several of the closed and standard trigger guard lowers. I think I have assembled 5 into rifles at this point for the two of us. All lowers appeared to be satisfactorily machined and anodized. All lowers assembled easily without any issues. The magazine wells on all lowers permit trouble free use of a variety of magazines. They work like any lower should. We have no complaints whatsoever and are quite satisfied with their functionality.

praythenspray
12-30-16, 07:05
Not trying to derail away from the original Anderson topic, but after seeing the link for the Sionics lower I am definitely interested in snagging one up. How are those Sionics lowers compared to a MEGA Gator? I like my MEGA because I had read that they have tight tolerances and while I never use it, I do like the bit of checkering on the front of the magwell.

For those that have handled a lot of stripped lowers, would Sionics be at the top?

1911-A1
12-30-16, 08:53
They're lowers you get at the gun show for 50 bucks. I don't see the point in ordering one and paying shipping and transfer fees/dealer markup.

I got one for a bargain build knowing there was a chance it'd be out of spec in some way. So far I think I'm good. The takedown pins are really really tight though.

MRBShooter
12-30-16, 23:44
Built my first AR on an Anderson. Thrilled with it. I cannot say that about other receivers I've bought.

C4IGrant
12-31-16, 08:13
Built my first AR on an Anderson. Thrilled with it. I cannot say that about other receivers I've bought.

Not to sound like a dick, but either you have low standards are haven't been exposed to much else in the AR world.

C4

Swstock
12-31-16, 08:58
Not trying to derail away from the original Anderson topic, but after seeing the link for the Sionics lower I am definitely interested in snagging one up. How are those Sionics lowers compared to a MEGA Gator? I like my MEGA because I had read that they have tight tolerances and while I never use it, I do like the bit of checkering on the front of the magwell.

For those that have handled a lot of stripped lowers, would Sionics be at the top?

I've never had to my hands on Sionics but I like my Mega better than my BCM, Noveske, Aero Precision, Spikes and Seekins

Jewell
12-31-16, 09:10
There are quite a few other lowers I'd much rather have, and I'm definitely not one of those guys that's going to sit here and tell you that an Anderson is just as good as whatever, or that a lower is a lower. I didn't go out looking for one, but happened to pick one up only b/c my options at my LGS were pretty limited. If I wanted one that day it was either going to be the Anderson for 50 bucks or a Spikes with a lame ass punisher or honey badger logo on it for 100.

Sure, I could have been more patient, ordered a BCM, Seekins, or what have you, and had a much better lower, but what can I say? I took the gamble. If it turned out to be a complete turd, I was out $50. Lesson learned.

With that said, I'd never buy a gay pony again unless I had to, but it's served me just fine.

jrmymiles
12-31-16, 14:30
Last year I had a local gunsmith build me an AR with a list of requirements. You know, properly staked this and that. Right buffer and so on. At the time I thought a lower was a lower. Anyway he built it on an Anderson lower. I have had zero issues, but than again this builder knows what he was doing and would have fixed any issues before turning the gun over to me. He can get whatever lower he wants, but to keep cost down he used an Anderson. He claims that he has had issues before, but lately they have been ok. If I was doing it all over again I would have been more picky about the lower, but I haven't had any issues with the one I have. With that being said he just secured a contract to build several rifles for a local LE department. They will all be built on BCM lowers.

genesis1
12-31-16, 14:58
Why would you spend money on a Colt LPK and install it in a junk lower? For not much more money you can get a Seekins or Mega. I would take an Aero lower over the Anderson.

Aero has been producing straight JUNK recently. Not a good plan.

Wow, this confusing. So you put known good components in it, but buy a questionable lower? Thats like spending a lot of money on the engine of a car, but buying the cheapest frame on the market.

The term "hold Up" means that it was built correctly. For instance, BCM has extra thick anodizing on their lowers. Does the Anderson? No.

Buy the BCM lower and save yourself a lot of hassle.

C4

So the bcm isnt mil spec either?

Mega is worlds better. Thats the truth, but you likely wont hear that here. More likely the posters will recite the same drivel honouring their prized tier 1 buffet barbarian.

Andersons arent all that good, but for $40 theyre ok for what they are. If you intend to spend over 1k on a gun, nah, id get better.

AM-15
12-31-16, 15:58
Not to sound like a dick, but either you have low standards are haven't been exposed to much else in the AR world.

C4

I respect you and your business but coming from you as a dealer is just plain wrong.
Sorry, but in business making those comments are not what I would do.
But then you are not me.
Happy New Year :)

themonk
12-31-16, 17:06
How is this thread not dead yet?

_Stormin_
12-31-16, 21:06
I'm thinking we want to see just how this genesis1 guy plays out. Two posts deep and calling out the entirety of M4C already.

It's probably going to be... Interesting...

Kdubya
12-31-16, 21:22
I dunno. Is he (genesis1) abrasive? Maybe a little. But no more brash than others. As far as his content, also nothing too egregious.

SeriousStudent
12-31-16, 21:39
Genesis1 - based on your two posts here, I'd strongly encourage you to re-read this:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?1497-M4Carbine-net-Mission-Statement

You might remember them - they are the rules you agreed to when you signed up for this forum.

I have already pointed out out that your behavior wins no prizes here. I'm not going to do it again.

SeriousStudent
12-31-16, 21:54
I dunno. Is he (genesis1) abrasive? Maybe a little. But no more brash than others. As far as his content, also nothing too egregious.

People are absolutely welcome to their opinions.

But if they want to stick a thumb in everyone's eye with every post, their tenure here will be exceedingly brief. We are not going to turn AR General Discussion into a place with more assholes than a proctologist convention.

Nightvisionary
01-01-17, 09:04

C4

The standards I look for in a lower are does it work or does it not work. Is the lower made of 7075 aluminum and machined properly to the extent that it can be assembled with a standard parts kit without issue, is it free of cosmetic defects, and does it permit reliable and trouble free operation when attached to an upper. I have been shooting M-16 or AR-15 rifles for 30 years now from a variety of different manufacturers including USMC issued Colts. Ultimately the lower receiver only serves to house the fire control parts,magazine, and receiver extension. As a consumer if the lower performs this function reliably and without issues I don't care who makes it. At the end of the day the AR is just a tool and the tool either performs or it doesn't. From my experience with the 5 or so Anderson lowers I have assembled into rifles over the last year they have operated just as well as any AR rifle I have ever owned or been issued.

C4IGrant
01-01-17, 09:08
I respect you and your business but coming from you as a dealer is just plain wrong.
Sorry, but in business making those comments are not what I would do.
But then you are not me.
Happy New Year :)

Not wrong if it is true. ;-)

Point is that most people have very limited exposure to guns. I might look at and touch 100 AR's in a month. So if you and all your "buddies" shoot Anderson, then your POV on what is quality and what isn't is EXTREMELY narrow.

C4

C4IGrant
01-01-17, 09:14
The standards I look for in a lower are does it work or does it not work. Is the lower made of 7075 aluminum and machined properly to the extent that it can be assembled with a standard parts kit without issue, is it free of cosmetic defects, and does it permit reliable and trouble free operation when attached to an upper. I have been shooting M-16 or AR-15 rifles for 30 years now from a variety of different manufacturers including USMC issued Colts. Ultimately the lower receiver only serves to house the fire control parts,magazine, and receiver extension. As a consumer if the lower performs this function reliably and without issues I don't care who makes it. At the end of the day the AR is just a tool and the tool either performs or it doesn't. From my experience with the 5 or so Anderson lowers I have assembled into rifles over the last year they have operated just as well as any AR rifle I have ever owned or been issued.

This is a somewhat superficial look at lowers (which I understand is about all consumers can typically do). When we see lowers all over place (in regards to specs and tolerances) that tells us that they (Anderson) does not have go/no go gauges to quickly check dimensions. So that means, you the end consumer is their QC department.

The AR15 platform is extremely forgiving. You can have every part out of spec and it will run. You can incorrectly assemble the AR15 and it will run (at least for awhile). This is a positive and a negative and is how low end companies are able to survive.

C4

RazorBurn
01-01-17, 12:45

My experience with 14 Anderson lowers has been the same as yours. They've all went together with proper fit and function, and dropped all magazine types as properly as my Noveske, Spikes, PSA, Colt and USM4 lowers.

Iraqgunz
01-01-17, 18:45
I won't beat the Anderson dead horse, but I will throw some stuff out there.

I did a California class in which a member had an Anderson lower. His plans to build a carbine were promptly disrupted when the hammer and trigger pin holes were out of spec. No big deal if you live in a free state, a little more complicated when you live in a state that has a 10 day waiting period, charges a DROS fee, etc..

In another class in Amarillo last year, a father and son drove all the way from Kansas to the class. Both had issues with the lowers and the uppers. Rather disappointing since they wanted to build carbines during the course.

I had the same issue in a class in San Antonio as well. Hammer/Trigger pin holes out of spec.

Would the issues eventually be solved? Probably so. But, it isn't going to be a comfort if it interrupts other plans.

themonk
01-01-17, 18:51
Would the issues eventually be solved? Probably so. But, it isn't going to be a comfort if it interrupts other plans.

Right? And you could not deal with any of that for $20 or $30 more dollars.

C4IGrant
01-01-17, 19:07
I won't beat the Anderson dead horse, but I will throw some stuff out there.

I did a California class in which a member had an Anderson lower. His plans to build a carbine were promptly disrupted when the hammer and trigger pin holes were out of spec. No big deal if you live in a free state, a little more complicated when you live in a state that has a 10 day waiting period, charges a DROS fee, etc..

In another class in Amarillo last year, a father and son drove all the way from Kansas to the class. Both had issues with the lowers and the uppers. Rather disappointing since they wanted to build carbines during the course.

I had the same issue in a class in San Antonio as well. Hammer/Trigger pin holes out of spec.

Do u think that most of these lowers have out of spec FCG holes and people just don't know?

C4

Wallace's
01-01-17, 19:24
I have built a lot of rifles for friends using them and got three on a Black Friday sale a couple years ago for $30/ea for myself. I haven't had one out of spec yet, but have had to cleanup trigger guard, take down pin and detent spring pocket/holes on a few of them from excess anodizing buildup. For the average joe I think they are "ok", but if you have a few bucks extra, getting a BCM, BAD, or alike would probably yield a better build experience, especially for a novice if they are not sure when something is out of tolerance.

EzGoingKev
01-01-17, 20:23
I bought a stripped lower and put it together using:
- Geissele SSA Trigger
- V7 Ambi Selector
- Magpul MIAD Grip
- VLTOR A5 Receiver Extension
- CQD End Plate
- Magpul Trigger Guard

All the other parts are Colt. I had no issues putting it together.

I only have a few hundred rounds through it using a mid-length upper. I have had no issues. I even use a BAD lever.

Iraqgunz
01-01-17, 20:27
Not sure what you mean....

Right? And you could not deal with any of that for $20 or $30 more dollars.

Swstock
01-01-17, 21:23
Not sure what you mean....

Sounds like he means that spending the extra couple bucks on a decent lower will help avoid all of those problems.

Iraqgunz
01-01-17, 21:28
These weren't minor issues. Most of the people who I see in the Build/Armorer Course aren't even sure what to check nor do they understand basic troubleshooting. I think most take it on face value that what they bought is good to go.

Do u think that most of these lowers have out of spec FCG holes and people just don't know?

C4

themonk
01-01-17, 21:33
Sounds like he means that spending the extra couple bucks on a decent lower will help avoid all of those problems.

Exactly. Sorry, poorly worded.

calvin118
01-01-17, 21:38
I have handled two of them. One was decent, except a very wide variety of Pmags would not drop free, the finish seemed cheap and the pistol grip screw was not drilled all the way. I solved the problem by using a shorter Magpul pistol grip screw, and by filing down the mag well in the groove where the over-insertion stop travels and re-treating with aluminum black. It has held up fine. The other was more of a problem. Beyond the Pmag and pistol grip issues, the trigger guard, take down pin and detent spring pocket/holes were poorly machined and I had to clean them up. There was also at least one significant gouge in the aluminum, and the finish was outright bad with bald spots showing through in multiple places.

All of the Aero lowers I have handled handled have been good. The LPK's, BCG's and buffer springs they source may leave a lot to be desired, but the receivers that are their core business are well made. The old LW marked PSA stripped lowers that I saw were all great as well, though the newer ones I have seen left me less impressed. If I was in the market for a stripped lower right now and did not want to pay for a rollmark I would go for Aero.

C4IGrant
01-02-17, 14:30
These weren't minor issues. Most of the people who I see in the Build/Armorer Course aren't even sure what to check nor do they understand basic troubleshooting. I think most take it on face value that what they bought is good to go.

I think people associate parts as parts. Millennials seem to really do this for some reason. They are brand aware, but don't care. They also suffer from ADD and cannot do more than 5 minutes worth of research LOL.

C4

Little Creek
01-02-17, 15:24
My two cents worth. I have assembled only one lower and yup it is an Anderson. It works fine so far. Went together with no issues. ACT Trigger; Magpul buffer tube, buffer, and buffer spring. Stoner lower parts kit; BCM stock and grip. Tried it with two different uppers. No issues. Oh yeah, I bought it at a LGS when lowers were scarce. I have three more and I do not plan to throw them away.

jeffk14
02-25-17, 17:10

Hmmm... I've built on a couple of Andersons and have had no issues, other than the finish seems maybe a bit thin(?) and "chalky". For the money, I didn't care though, since I only gave $34.99 apiece for them (plus transfer fees). Everything fit together O.K. and functions fine. With that point being made, I was, up until now, unaware of Sionics receivers. I've looked at them online and if I decide to do another assembly, I'll definitely consider them. Looks like a very nice receiver for the money. As a matter of fact, I have a SPR that I have about $1,500 in, which is mostly BCM stuff, that I assembled on an Anderson lower. The Sionics has me thinking about doing a lower swap...

Vegas
02-25-17, 18:36
I bought a stripped lower and put it together using:
- Geissele SSA Trigger
- V7 Ambi Selector
- Magpul MIAD Grip
- VLTOR A5 Receiver Extension
- CQD End Plate
- Magpul Trigger Guard

All the other parts are Colt. I had no issues putting it together.

Not knocking the poster I quoted, everyone should spend their money as the please but I can't get my head around putting nearly $400 in parts into a $50 lower that may or may not be in spec? Sionics or Mega (and probably a few other makers) can be had for a few dollars more will provide a much more QC'd receiver.

EzGoingKev
02-25-17, 18:58
Not knocking the poster I quoted, everyone should spend their money as the please but I can't get my head around putting nearly $400 in parts into a $50 lower that may or may not be in spec? Sionics or Mega (and probably a few other makers) can be had for a few dollars more will provide a much more QC'd receiver.
As the poster that you quoted -

I had been working halfway across the country for an extended period of time. I came home to MA on vacation. There had been a shooting or something and MA was talking about passing a new full ban. I went to the local gun store and they had these in stock for $45 including transfer. I had to leave the next day so I would back to work.

In the end they did not ban sales at that time but there is a new ban currently in place. That $45 lower is on a complete rifle that was registered to me in MA before latest ban went into effect.

jeffk14
02-25-17, 18:59

Think of it this way. Even if the receiver ends up not being "in spec" (I venture to say that that is probably a fairly rare occurrence) it's not like you're out the investment in the parts. You could just get the lower of your choice and swap 'em out. Problem solved. And the OEM of the lower in question would more than likely make things right. As has been mentioned though, that could, in certain circumstances, be a major hassle.

What I CAN'T get my head around is the guy who SBR'd his (apparently unvetted) Anderson lower, then bitched when it was out of spec. That may have actually happened in this very thread, I don't remember and am too lazy to look.

If I were to fill out NFA paperwork on a lower, A) It wouldn't be an Anderson, and B) I would have ALREADY wrung the thing out 9 ways from Sunday, even if the damned thing was made by Rolls Royce!

jeffk14
02-25-17, 19:03

I had been working halfway across the country for an extended period of time. I came home to MA on vacation. There had been a shooting or something and MA was talking about passing a new full ban. I went to the local gun store and they had these in stock for $45 including transfer. I had to leave the next day so I would back to work.

In the end they did not ban sales at that time but there is a new ban currently in place. That $45 upper is on a complete rifle that was registered to me in MA before latest ban went into effect.

If Andersons were available at $45 OTD, I'd buy a tractor trailer load. Even today.

Vegas
02-25-17, 19:14

In the end they did not ban sales at that time but there is a new ban currently in place. That $45 upper is on a complete rifle that was registered to me in MA before latest ban went into effect.
That's an unfortunate set of circumstances for sure.

Think of it this way. Even if the receiver ends up not being "in spec" (I venture to say that that is probably a fairly rare occurrence) it's not like you're out the investment in the parts. You could just get the lower of your choice and swap 'em out. Problem solved. And the OEM of the lower in question would more than likely make things right. As has been mentioned though, that could, in certain circumstances, be a major hassle.

What I CAN'T get my head around is the guy who SBR'd his (apparently unvetted) Anderson lower, then bitched when it was out of spec. That may have actually happened in this very thread, I don't remember and am too lazy to look.

If I were to fill out NFA paperwork on a lower, A) It wouldn't be an Anderson, and B) I would have ALREADY wrung the thing out 9 ways from Sunday, even if the damned thing was made by Rolls Royce!

Seems like a pain in the rear to deal when, statistically speaking, a little more buys you some reassurance that you won't have to experience out of spec. Your other example of SBR'ing a lower of unknown provenance is just asking for trouble no matter the manufacturer, imo.

EzGoingKev
02-25-17, 19:15
If Andersons were available at $45 OTD, I'd buy a tractor trailer load. Even today.
It was $45 OTD.

pinzgauer
02-25-17, 19:30
It was $45 OTD.
Anderson $50 local out the door.

Aero Precision is $80 it's

I'd prefer Sionics, but with xfer fees starts not to make sense. If I had to an xfer I just get a complete LMT L7C2.

tehpwnag3
02-27-17, 08:23
I was very happy with the three Sionics lowers I recently bought and built. By having all three stripped and on-hand I was able to cross-check Colt and ALG LPK's in all three (roll pin parts excluded).