PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand, very difficult to insert en bloc clips.

foxtrotx1
12-28-16, 18:40
Title says it all. My "new" CMP garand is putting up a lot of resistance getting the clip in the gun. Anybody have any insight? The gun is a CMP special so all the park is new and the gun was very stiff when I received it as expected.

lowprone
12-28-16, 19:04
Original US military clips are preferred but buy 8 dummies or load 8 rds w/o primers
and load, eject, repeat.

SurplusShooter
12-28-16, 19:12
Some ideas: Try a different clip, see if it's a problem with an out-of-spec enbloc clip?

Is this your first/only Garand or does this same clip work fine in other rifles?

On the sheet metal of the clip, can you see anywhere where it might be rubbing?

I have a CMP Special, also (among others) and FWIW In my example I did not notice any difference when inserting the clips on the CMP Special.

foxtrotx1
12-28-16, 20:20
This is my first and only garand. I have a CMP clip as well, but i'm not sure I have used that one yet.

T2C
12-28-16, 20:49
Things that can cause difficulty inserting a M1 Garand clip are:

1) An improperly loaded clip. All cartridges should be seated fully into the clip and should protrude from the clip at the same length.

2) A new clip that requires break in. It could be a little stiff or have a burr on it.

3) A bent or defective clip.

4) Something that interferes with movement of the follower. A burr in the magazine or interference between the follower arm and bullet guide can cause this issue.

Those are the four things I would check first.

foxtrotx1
12-30-16, 03:30
I'm going to test these things in the morning. I will try and grease the rails the clips rides on, and maybe polish the sides of the clip.

T2C
12-30-16, 09:28
Polishing the clip should not be necessary. I would not apply grease to any part that makes direct contact with the clip. Here is a link to articles on the M1 Garand that a lot of people find helpful. http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-tutorials Click on the icon of the grease pot for lubrication tips.

foxtrotx1
01-01-17, 04:36
Polishing the clip should not be necessary. I would not apply grease to any part that makes direct contact with the clip. Here is a link to articles on the M1 Garand that a lot of people find helpful. http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-tutorials Click on the icon of the grease pot for lubrication tips.

Oiling the internal clip rails cleared up the issue, much easier to load. I think the CMP repark job adds a bit of thickness to everything. The bolt was hard to work at first as well.

New question for you.... Why is my rifle throwing cases over at the 12:00 and 11:00 position? Ejection is pretty erratic actually. HXP ball is the ammo.

T2C
01-01-17, 07:49
I shoot a lot of HXP ball and the brass consistently ejects from 1 O'clock to 2 O'clock.

If dirt inside the bolt interferes with movement of the ejector, it can cause erratic ejection and can be addressed by disassembling the bolt and giving the bolt and all the small parts a thorough cleaning.

Another cause for erratic brass ejection is inconsistent bolt speed. It can be caused by a worn or damaged operating rod spring.

daniel87
01-01-17, 09:51
You may want to do a full details strip clean oil and grease.

The rifle is a cmp surplus rifle.

If the rifle is rack grade it may need new parts or heavy cleaning. If it is service grade it may just be in need of some heavy cleaning

After stripping the parts try soaking the parts in a pot of boiling simple green and water. Then rinsing in a pot of boiling water. Then baking to dry. Then oil and grease.

Sometimes a machine just needs to be strip cleaned. You will br amazed what comes out of a gun that visually looks clean.

If you don't feel comfortable take it to a gunsmith. Then ask how they clean guns.

At the least a bucket of simple grean and water to clean then rinsed in regular water.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

T2C
01-01-17, 10:47
Placing parts in a pot of boiling water is an old school trick used for getting preservative grease and dirt out of those hard to reach places. This works especially well for getting grease out of difficult to reach areas on a M1 Garand bolt.

foxtrotx1
01-01-17, 13:44
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll boil the bolt and replace the springs. :cool:

daniel87
01-01-17, 16:31
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll boil the bolt and replace the springs. :cool:
The simple green or purple power will help a lot more As a first step.

Good luck with the milsurp. I always wanted one

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

ww2farmer
01-04-17, 23:03
Oiling the internal clip rails cleared up the issue, much easier to load. I think the CMP repark job adds a bit of thickness to everything. The bolt was hard to work at first as well.

New question for you.... Why is my rifle throwing cases over at the 12:00 and 11:00 position? Ejection is pretty erratic actually. HXP ball is the ammo.

Don't be changing any springs or parts just yet. Here is what I would do if the rifle were mine

#1 take the bolt apart and clean the ejector hole and the extractor plunger hole, reassemble with a drop of CLP on each spring.

#2 clean the inside..........yes the inside, of the op rod tube well, as if you were cleaning the barrel. Then rub a thin coat of grease on the op rod spring before you stick it back in the op rod.

#3 grease the bottom of the barrel where the op rod makes contact under the handguard

#4 seeing as this is a new "CMP special" I assume it came with new wood, look for any signs of the op rod rubbing on the stock, if there is, lightly sand/file any rub spots on the wood NOT the metal.

#5 make sure you gas plug is tight, in fact take the plug right out and make sure the poppet valve on it is fully closed first, than put it back in and make sure it's tight.

#6 lightly grease all the contact points on the bolt, receiver and op rod........don't forget the inside of the receiver where the bolt rides under the rear sight on it's rearward stroke.

after all this go shoot it with a full power "garand safe" load. Surplus HXP should do the trick.

You didn't say you were short stroking, so I don't think it's a gas or ammo issue, it sounds to me like the rilfe is dry as bone, and working stiff with perhaps a sticky ejector. A happy, well lubed garand should throw brass from 1 to 4 o'clock, with an occasional "WTF" one going some where else........it's just the nature of the beast. If all else fails...........CMP has fantastic customer service, give them a call. Often someone smarter than me will be able to know exactly what's wrong based on your description of the issue and have more than once sent replacement parts out free of charge, or if worse comes to worse, you'll have to send it back and they will get it squared away ASAP, and usually it's a pretty quick turn around.

MRBShooter
01-14-17, 18:20
Great thread! Reminds me I need to shoot my Garand...