PDA

View Full Version : Latest Bushmaster QC check

seb5
12-28-16, 21:28
I thoght I'd post this as I see many posts about QC checks and such on recent AR type weapons. Today I received some new department Bushmaster Patrolman carbines in. These are available to the public but these were purchased from our law enforcement distributor. As is my custom I give them a once over very similar to what Iraqguns posted many years ago before issuing them out. First the good;

1. These carbines looked great as far as maching, fit, and finish. I know everyone says they don't care but many lie! Anyway they looked good!
2. The staking was great on the BCG, which was also a full auto BCG.
3. I expect them to run well, as most purchased since 2012 have generally ran well without anything if fed decent ammo. FWIW we use Remington state bid.

And now the bad or not so good;

1. Still no finish under the FSB, which I see many comment on but am not sure it matters.
2. Still no "F" marked FSB.
3. There was staking, barely, on the castle nut which lead me to believe there was no red loctite on the castle nut. I was wrong, so I heated it with a propane torch before properly installing and staking.
4. 1/9 twist barrel, no surprise there.
5. I dropped my chamber reamer in and it cut, so much for 5.56!
6. Since Shrubmasters are nortoriously over gassed it shouldn't surprise me but I've not seen this yet from them, H2 buffers! I didn't have a pin gauge so can't say what it was.

So, the more things change the more they stay the same! Which is why I buy BCM.

Tzoid
12-28-16, 21:54
Good post.... Thanks for sharing

ST911
12-28-16, 22:23
Thanks for the post. It reflects what I've seen in some buys in the recent past.

5. I dropped my chamber reamer in and it cut, so much for 5.56!

Presence of material on reaming doesn't mean it isn't 5.56. See this post (excerpt) from Ned Christiansen on the topic:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?40807-5-56-finish-reamer-rental&p=491555#post491555

My reamer gives a chamber that is actually a tad longer in the freebore and throat than 5.56.
The cost of the reamer is one of the reasons I came up with the gage for checking to see which chamber you have. If the gage goes, no need to ream it, so no need to spend $240 on the reamer. I just didn't like putting a guy in the position of "you'll have to buy the reamer to find out". The gage is $44. http://www.m-guns.com/tools.php

I used to pre-emptively ream chambers, and removed material from Colts, BCMs, and others. After getting Ned's ".223/5.56?" gauge, I now GO/NG a barrel and ream if necessary. Through bunches of 5.56 loads, I don't recall having to ream a chamber that passed the gauge.

6. Since Shrubmasters are nortoriously over gassed it shouldn't surprise me but I've not seen this yet from them, H2 buffers! I didn't have a pin gauge so can't say what it was.

They came with H2s?

Iraqgunz
12-28-16, 23:11
I have yet to see BM's that have correct chambers. The port sizes seem to vary about .005 (graded on a rollercoaster scale).

seb5
12-29-16, 05:14
Thanks for the post. It reflects what I've seen in some buys in the recent past.

Presence of material on reaming doesn't mean it isn't 5.56. See this post (excerpt) from Ned Christiansen on the topic:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?40807-5-56-finish-reamer-rental&p=491555#post491555

I used to pre-emptively ream chambers, and removed material from Colts, BCMs, and others. After getting Ned's ".223/5.56?" gauge, I now GO/NG a barrel and ream if necessary. Through bunches of 5.56 loads, I don't recall having to ream a chamber that passed the gauge.

They came with H2s?

Interesting read by Ned, and yup H-2's! I'm guessing that I'll end up having to switch those to "H's" but will wait and seeit they function with our ammo.

chuckman
12-29-16, 09:21
Nice to see an objective, fact-based assessment.

tehpwnag3
12-29-16, 11:52
Maybe I read that wrong, but I did not know that the castle nut is supposed to have red Loctite.

seb5
12-29-16, 11:56
Maybe I read that wrong, but I did not know that the castle nut is supposed to have red Loctite.

It's not supposed to be there but Bushmaster has used it for years. and still does, much to any armorers regret.

tehpwnag3
12-29-16, 11:59
Gotcha, thanks. For a second there I thought it might have been a new "best practice" or a departmental requirement that I wasn't aware of.

Singlestack Wonder
12-29-16, 16:53
Not sure why we need another bushmaster thread. Their poor quality and issues are well known...

bighawk
12-29-16, 17:34
Well at least they're sort of trying just a little bit harder these days.. Staking castle nuts at all and quality staking on the carrier key is something I've never seen on any BM gun I've ever had hands on.

seb5
12-29-16, 18:50
Not sure why we need another bushmaster thread. Their poor quality and issues are well known...

I apologize that you had to open it and comment on something you had no interest in. I'm sure I wasted a lot of your time...........

ST911
12-29-16, 19:02

OP, a professional end-user (and armorer, IIRC) provided a report of his first-hand, detailed inspection, of multiple, recent production guns that can be pointed to in subsequent discussions and recommendations. That seems like how things become reliably "well known", a good post, and on point with our mission statement.

titsonritz
12-29-16, 20:22
OP, a professional end-user (and armorer, IIRC) provided a report of his first-hand, detailed inspection, of multiple, recent production guns that can be pointed to in subsequent discussions and recommendations. That seems like how things become reliably "well known", a good post, and on point with our mission statement.

Hell yes and it is a lot more informative than your typical budget AR post like, "I've had a Bushmaster for 15 years, it has preformed flawlessly through 1200 rounds plus the fit and finish is superb"
:suicide:

yat-yas
12-29-16, 21:22
I had the opportunity to inspect an NIB Bushmaster yesterday. Don't know the exact model but it was basic. 16" carbine with a detachable carry handle. The finish looked nice and there was very little slop between the upper and lower. The castle nut was not staked and I didn't see any sign of loctite but i just kinda glanced at it. The buffer was a standard carbine buffer. Carrier was semi-auto and the gas key staking looked really good but the screws where star pattern which I've never seen before. The fsb was non-f marked and had a crown logo on it. It looked like there was a major ding by the gas tube pin the was blackened with cold blue. I didn't look much past what I discribed above so my observations are pretty limited. In my past experience with them I have seen several loose barrel nuts so I was curious about this rifle but didn't get to check.