PDA

View Full Version : Question/opinions: High capacity Glock magazines

CDR_Glock
12-29-16, 12:09
I have a Glock 17 and I'd like to try a long stick mag and drum mag, and I have a Glock 23 that I'd like to try the same (if available).

My experience in the 1990s that they weren't reliable for other brands of guns I used to own.

Thoughts? Experiences? Recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3ACR_Scout
12-29-16, 12:23
Personally, I would stay away from any magazines other than Glock factory or ETS. There are a lot of Glock mags out there (including the drum that I've seen) that are listed as "Asian manufacturer" or something to that effect that I wouldn't trust. Many of them seem to be similar to ProMag with no metal liner inside, just a plastic tube. I don't see any of those being durable or reliable.

Caveat: I haven't tested my ETS Glock magazines yet, but they appear to be well made, and they have proven that their 5.56 mags are reliable.

DirectTo
12-29-16, 12:27
I have extended mags from Glock (9mm and .40), ETS (9), and Magpul (9).

Never had an issue with any of them, even with a 33 rounder bouncing around in the G26.

As Scout said, avoid the "Asian military manufacture" ones and you should be good to go.

Kain
12-29-16, 13:01
The factory glock 33rders and 22rders(40 cal mags) have worked well for me. No issues. The KCI mags I'd avoid, have broken several just using them as range mags and with factory glock extended mags in the $30 range no reason to waste the money. The Magpul glock mags, so far seem to be pretty decent, have been using them for training without any more issues than factory glock, am hoping to grab a few of the extended ones. The ETS look promising but haven't used them as of yet. Plan on grabbing some though. Of the options though I'd currently rank factory mags first, then Magpul or ETS. After that, it's a crap shoot at the very best.

Arik
12-29-16, 13:06
Edit.....

3ACR_Scout
12-29-16, 13:13
Just wanted to add that I didn't intentionally leave Magpul out of my previous post, I just forgot to mention them since I don't have any yet. While I generally love their mags, I wasn't sure about their Glock mags and read some initial reviews of them indicating that they may be better for training purposes, as opposed to defensive use, due to their all-plastic construction. My main thought was that with Glock factory mags being reliable and affordable already, I didn't feel the need to save a few bucks by trying out Magpul's version. I just don't need that many Glock mags.

daniel87
12-29-16, 13:47
Glock and magpul mags only.
My 26 is good from the g26 mags to the g33 rd mag
So far my magpul 15 rd mags work too

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

daniel87
12-29-16, 13:51
Just wanted to add that I didn't intentionally leave Magpul out of my previous post, I just forgot to mention them since I don't have any yet. While I generally love their mags, I wasn't sure about their Glock mags and read some initial reviews of them indicating that they may be better for training purposes, as opposed to defensive use, due to their all-plastic construction.

I understand your concern. I am wary only because they are gen 1. The all plastic ar15 mags were the same way. Many even now dont trust ar pmags. Im sure if there are issues magpul will warranty the glock mags

Its all about plastic composition/formula

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Joelski
12-29-16, 14:28
The ETS mags are great and though they look frail and pretty are actually pretty tough. The Magpul issues have been solved for over a year. I would have no problem carrying any of the 3, including stock units. Several thousand trouble-free rounds through the Magpul and ETS mags have put the stock mags on the shelf.

3ACR_Scout
12-29-16, 16:03
Not to go off on a tangent, but I seem to recall that about a decade ago, there were concerns about the reliability of the Glock factory +2 mag extensions. I thought it had something to do with the baseplates sometimes popping loose. Was this (is this still) a legitimate concern?

Straight Shooter
12-29-16, 16:07
Not to go off on a tangent, but I seem to recall that about a decade ago, there were concerns about the reliability of the Glock factory +2 mag extensions. I thought it had something to do with the baseplates sometimes popping loose. Was this (is this still) a legitimate concern?

Not with the half dozen or so I use. And I have/use many ETS mags..they are as good as Glock factory, imho.

ST911
12-29-16, 18:51

No. The current OEM + baseplate, available now for a number of years, is GTG.

Kain
12-29-16, 19:01

Pretty much this. The aftermarket $1.99 +2s though are the garbage that the price would make one think they are.

3ACR_Scout
12-29-16, 19:21
Does it make a difference if most of my +2 mags and baseplates are pre-ban? I think I only have two G19 +2 mags and some 33-rounders that are post-ban.

ST911
12-29-16, 19:24
Does it make a difference if most of my +2 mags and baseplates are pre-ban? I think I only have two G19 +2 mags and some 33-rounders that are post-ban.

Mag bodies don't matter, just the + extension. This one is GTG:

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/itemmedia/10000/10000_324.jpg

bighawk
12-29-16, 19:44
Mag bodies don't matter, just the + extension. This one is GTG:

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/itemmedia/10000/10000_324.jpg

Have 3 G19 mags with these on them I've been running for about 2 years with no issues. Just placed an order for more of these in the last few days for a few more g19 mags