PDA

View Full Version : Brief NZDF video on Glock 17Gen4

MountainRaven
12-29-16, 21:14
This just popped up in my Youtube recommended video list and was posted on the 26th. Thought I'd share it, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mgf6cxvrmo

Look like Safariland ALS/SLS Safariland 7TS holsters. The pistols themselves appear to have Glock three-dot tritium night sights.

What's probably most interesting for me is that it appears the Kiwis have gotten themselves grip plugs that function as lanyard loops. Anybody know if these are made by Glock specifically for the Kiwi (and maybe the British) guns or if these are available aftermarket? I'm mostly curious because I seem to recall reading that Glock objected (albeit not strongly) to people plugging up the back of the grip of their pistols. It's the first mass-issue grip plug for the Glock that I've ever heard of.

Straight Shooter
12-29-16, 21:45
Do you happen to know why Glock objected to plugging the grip hole, and if they still do?

zackmars
12-29-16, 21:51
Do you happen to know why Glock objected to plugging the grip hole, and if they still do?

it's an egress point for dirt, detritus etc. New Glocks, at least civilian ones, do not come with plugs.

but it should be noted that Glock would/will put anything on their guns to win contracts.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-29-16, 21:54
I was hoping that down under the brass would actually come out in the right direction. Brass to face at 1.25.

DirectTo
12-29-16, 22:27
I was hoping that down under the brass would actually come out in the right direction. Brass to face at 1.25.
Damn, good eye Greg. That's a great video of it.

nml
12-30-16, 00:05
It was that limp wristing from that weak two handed grip. If he would have used three or four hands it would have ejected fine.

MOLON AABE
12-30-16, 07:11
Has anyone ever been so discombobulated from the Glock brass to the face issue that they had anything negative happen to them? I constantly hear people complaining about it, yet seldom hear of any serious, lasting side effects.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

jh9
12-30-16, 07:35
Has anyone ever been so discombobulated from the Glock brass to the face issue that they had anything negative happen to them? I constantly hear people complaining about it, yet seldom hear of any serious, lasting side effects.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

I've had spent brass draw blood after bouncing off a 55gal barrel and hitting me in the forehead. Burned by other empties, usually also after bouncing off something.

A piece of hot brass straight to the eye with no eyepro is also probably more than distracting.

But no, since there are no recorded instances of someone being blinded permanently it's probably fine...

nml
12-30-16, 09:30
Has anyone ever been so discombobulated from the Glock brass to the face issue that they had anything negative happen to them? I constantly hear people complaining about it, yet seldom hear of any serious, lasting side effects.It's a symptom of a bigger problem. The guns aren't being used so no one is dying of stovepipes.

MOLON AABE
12-30-16, 09:50
It's a symptom of a bigger problem. The guns aren't being used so no one is dying of stovepipes.
What do you mean by, The guns aren't being used?

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

Doc Safari
12-30-16, 09:51

Actually, on the guns made for Australia and New Zealand, the rifling spirals in the opposite direction from those sold in the northern hemisphere.

MOLON AABE
12-30-16, 10:09
Actually, on the guns made for Australia and New Zealand, the rifling spirals in the opposite direction from those sold in the northern hemisphere.
Haha

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

26 Inf
12-30-16, 10:33

Pick him out at the beginning of the video and watch him retreat from recoil @ :05, yeah he's a pistolero.

Sensei
12-30-16, 15:23

Velocitas, Opprimere,
Violentia Operandi

Get a hot piece stuck between your brow and eye pro - not fun. That has happened to me once.

Doc Safari
12-30-16, 15:32
Get a hot piece stuck between your brow and eye pro - not fun. That has happened to me once.

Has happened to me once, too. Always wear a brimmed hat or baseball cap when firing a Glock (I exaggerate but why take a chance?).

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-30-16, 16:48
I have had to do the Glock dance from burning brass on the back of my neck. I had a nice moon shaped dent/scratch in a pair of my prescription glasses from a G19 a few years back. I can't believe they haven't addressed it after all these years. I have always noticed it in G19s, but the G17s used to be fairly good about getting the brass out the correct side of the gun, even if it just dribbled.

Doc Safari
12-30-16, 16:52
I have had to do the Glock dance from burning brass on the back of my neck. I had a nice moon shaped dent/scratch in a pair of my prescription glasses from a G19 a few years back. I can't believe they haven't addressed it after all these years. I have always noticed it in G19s, but the G17s used to be fairly good about getting the brass out the correct side of the gun, even if it just dribbled.

I've noticed the problem isn't nearly as frequent with a Gen 4 G17 as with earlier models. YMMV: could just be I got lucky this time.

The Dumb Gun Collector
12-30-16, 17:39
Don't say that. I have been sorely tempted to use all my Academy Gift cards on a nice Gen 4 17

Doc Safari
12-30-16, 17:43
Don't say that. I have been sorely tempted to use all my Academy Gift cards on a nice Gen 4 17

If it helps any, that famous handgun durability thread on TOS started by Henderson Defense says that their Gen 4 G17 range guns are more durable than the Gen 3's.

(About the middle of the page he says the Gen 4's are less prone to cracked slides at high round counts than the Gen 3's, although it helps to track down all of the imbedded quotes that start earlier addressing this issue):

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/160140_High-round-count-pistols--100-000---observations.html&page=6

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By N4sty_N4te:

I'm also curious to see what generation has a better longevity.

I asked the armorers today and they said that the Gen 4's have been the most reliable with fewer cracked slides.

V/R
Ron

Quoting post 1 on the first page:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/160140_High-round-count-pistols--100-000---observations.html&page=1

I can tell you that even though I am not a "Glock guy", it is the most reliable handgun in our inventory and I would trust it with my life. We use Gen1-Gen4 17's on the line and they are the most hassle-free handgun we have. I used my original Gen1 17 when we first opened two and a half years ago and it finally broke about six months ago. When I say broke, Glock's pretty much are the only handgun that suffer a "catastrophic" break. The slide cracks right at the narrow portion at the ejection port. They will continue to fire most of the time but the rounds group at the top right corner of the target. The factory recoil springs are amazing because the just keep going. The Glock gets used probably 10X as much as our Beretta M92's so it's not a fair to say the Beretta is more reliable (see below). We don't use aftermarket slides on our Glocks so I couldn't give you any info those because Glock will replace our cracked slides under warranty. Also, I don't meant to give the impression that breake slides all the time but it would be fair to say that they get at least 100,000 rounds before cracking.

Not all of them last to 100,000 rounds though:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/160140_High-round-count-pistols--100-000---observations.html&page=10

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DocGlockster:

You make it sound like Glocks are disintegrating right and left. Just for clarification: do these Glocks have a buttload of rounds through them or are they experiencing premature failures?

Some of the most recent Glocks to fail have done so in the 20,000-30,000 round count range. We have at least five Glock down right now because of cracked slides. We've had some of our older models on the line much longer with MUCH higher round counts and didn't suffer from this type of failure.

V/R
Ron

And here he appears to contradict his earlier statement about the Gen 4's being more durable, so I don't know if it's maybe they are getting more Gen 4's into their inventory and that's why more fail, or what (he is, however, talking about a crack to the slide rail rather than ejection port on this post, so that may not be a contradiction after all; earlier he was talking about the slide cracking at the ejection port when he said the Gen 4's were more durable):

The Glocks that suffer the most failures are the Gen 4's. The frame suffers a crack at the metal "lip" that rides in the slide and the slide cracks at weakest point of the ejection port.

Still, a complete slide is easy to replace, and he says the Glocks get used more than any other guns.

Slater
12-30-16, 18:48
Glock claims that the Gen 4 has better durability than earlier gens due to the new recoil spring assembly. So, debatable?