PDA

View Full Version : What should I build for my spare upper?

CZDiesel
12-30-16, 01:16
Hello all! I recently built a Aero lower based AR that was my first build. I had bought the matching Aero upper but didn't end up using it due to buying a complete upper for a price that I couldn't pass up.
So now I have this Aero upper that begging to still be built but how?
What's the groups thoughts on what might be the most fun or useful upper build? Different cartridge? 20" rifle? Do it right with high $ Colt SOCOM or FN barrel? Light weight?
Give me your wisdom!

The AR as now built

Aero Lower
PSA lower build kit
Tom's Tactical trigger
Mil Spec buffer tube
Troy backing plate w/qd sockets
MFT minimalist stock
PSA Mid-Length upper
*Brass Aluminum Forging Enterprises upper
*PSA Mil Spec Freedom BCG/Bolt
*PSA Mid-Length melonite 1/7 Freedom barrel
*F marked A2 sight post
*A2flash hider
Midwest Industries drop in Gen2 quad rail
Daniel Defense VG
AimPoint ACO

I have to say that for not a lot of money one can really put together a nice shooting AR, and this one does shoot real nice and it shoots tight!

Anyway back to the original question.... If you were me what would you build the Aero upper into?

Eurodriver
12-30-16, 03:59
You want my wisdom?

Alright.

Judging by the fact that you used PSA so extensively and really tried to keep the cost down I'm wagering that this isn't something you take too seriously. Just a toy for dicking around on the weekend with no real objective other than having fun, no? Do you enter matches or competitions? Is this for a duty rifle?

The current AR you built should handle most environments - why not use it in them? Have you ever attempted to run a course of fire that ends with you firing from the standing at a full size IPSC at 300 yards? Was it easy? Is your rifle zeroed properly to hit a 300y target? What will a new upper do for you? Have you reached a point that a new upper will provide you with capability that your current upper will not?

My wisdom? Sell the Aero upper or throw it in a parts in and go shoot the hell out of the gun you have until you recognize what changes are needed to improve your shooting. Modify your current weapon until it meets those needs and then do it again. Repeat until you've got one gun that is reliable, capable, and feels like an extension of yourself that you can run proficiently like a raped ape.

On the other hand, If you just want to build an upper for the joy of building an upper then why does it matter what we think? Some guys like building hot rods they'll only drive once a year - but they don't choose a paint color based on what other people will like...

CZDiesel
12-30-16, 04:29
Thanks Eurodriver! And I agree with most of the post above and you are right on finding something that is an extension of oneself. Just some more background on the subject since you asked...
The AR currently built is/was built as a GP unit and yes I do take this serious as I take everything I do in life serious. Im not sure why you would ask that other than the PSA statement you made? My verdict is still out on PSA but I have several cans of ammo down range so far and no issues to feed back but good groups and zero malfunctions. That doesn't mean that the long term report will stay the same! But you will notice in my OP I did say build it right with Colt/FN parts. As to shooting to 300 meters, I'm sure you know a AimPoint isn't the best tool for that but I'd take an M-68 into most gunfights as most are not at 300 meters...
But again I appreciate your feedback as I know you took the time to actually be helpful. Like you said some people build hotrods! And actually when standing around with their buddies they might ask "what do you think would look best Centerlines or Weld Wheels?"

Iraqgunz
12-30-16, 05:44
300M with an Aimpoint isn't that hard especially of you have a 2 MOA red dot.

Thanks Eurodriver! And I agree with most of the post above and you are right on finding something that is an extension of oneself. Just some more background on the subject since you asked...
The AR currently built is/was built as a GP unit and yes I do take this serious as I take everything I do in life serious. Im not sure why you would ask that other than the PSA statement you made? My verdict is still out on PSA but I have several cans of ammo down range so far and no issues to feed back but good groups and zero malfunctions. That doesn't mean that the long term report will stay the same! But you will notice in my OP I did say build it right with Colt/FN parts. As to shooting to 300 meters, I'm sure you know a AimPoint isn't the best tool for that but I'd take an M-68 into most gunfights as most are not at 300 meters...
But again I appreciate your feedback as I know you took the time to actually be helpful. Like you said some people build hotrods! And actually when standing around with their buddies they might ask "what do you think would look best Centerlines or Weld Wheels?"

Wolfhound86
12-30-16, 07:00
Not really understanding how an red dot sight is "not really" the best tool for shooting out to 300 meters. Most people who have trained to go into "gun fights" have consistently shot out to 300 meters with m-68 or similar type optics. Just saying.

bighawk
12-30-16, 07:12
Not really understanding how an red dot sight is "not really" the best tool for shooting out to 300 meters. Most people who have trained to go into "gun fights" have consistently shot out to 300 meters with m-68 or similar type optics. Just saying.

He obviously missed the point Euro was trying to make.

I'm not saying its hard because its totally doable and many people (myself included) can do it regularly but I wonder if the OP's thinking if you're regularly shooting at that distance something like LPV's or ACOGS would be better suited?

Eurodriver
12-30-16, 07:33
For what it's worth I would choose no optic other than a 2 MOA aimpoint for shooting within 300m - and I say that admitting I have a delightful fondness for the ACOG line. The ease of shooting at 300m with a LPV or ACOG does not make up for the hindrances you face when shooting at 5m. I've seen a few guys run LPV optics really really well (way better than even the best with an Aimpoint) but they are using top tier LPVs and probably train with them to the tune of 2000+ rounds a month. They are at the top of the industry. Maybe one of them won't fail2stop posting his thoughts in here... ;)

If I had to give my input (for a buddy asking about hotrod wheels)... I would ditch your current upper entirely. I'd register your lower as an SBR and buy 11.5" barrel with a practical profile (BCM/Sionics), grab a Gemtech BC with a BCM Bolt, BCM GFCH, etc. I'd put that barrel in your Aero upper and hang a 10" Centurion rail off it. I'd add an Arisaka M300 and an ATPIAL-C both controlled by a Surefire dual switch with a BCM stubby VFG underneath the switch, an AAC 51T FH, put an Aimpoint T2 in front of a TNVC PVS14 twist mount setup with front and rear Troy BUIS and never need another AR ever again. I know this because that is what I did. However, we all have different needs. I use NV a lot. I run a suppressor a lot, etc. My suggestion won't help you because I need a quad rail, but for anyone not using a laser a smooth MLOK or Keymod rail is infinitely better. You already have a decent "base" gun. Go shoot it and realize where your hardware deficiencies are before you dump money into another half assed build with no direction behind it.

When I joined this forum I was constantly buying what everyone else said worked. I have no shit (I can post an order history screenshot) bought over 20 BCM uppers. Do you know how many complete BCM uppers I have left in the safe? Zero.

If you still have a burning desire to spend money and build an upper, keep what you have and go out to your nearest local gun store. Walk inside, throw three thousand dollars at the cashier and walk out.

I just saved you quite a bit of time.

556BlackRifle
12-30-16, 10:41
CZD, welcome to M4C. I'd just pick up a BCM upper (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16-BFH-KMRA-15) along with a BCM BCG (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=BCG-BCM&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3DBolt%20Carrier%20Group%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html) and BCM Mod 44 Charging handle (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GFCHA-BCM&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dcharging%20handle%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html) and call it GTG.

noonesshowmonkey
12-30-16, 15:37
Euro speaks much wisdom. Shoot the shit out of your current rifle until you know what you need. If you're truly set on building that upper, do as he says: sbr your lower and build a 10.3-12.5" with the best parts available. Unless you go sbr and/or 300 black out, another upper won't really bring you anything you don't already have.

Rifleman_04
12-30-16, 15:48
300-500m is easy with a 2moa Aimpoint if you know your holds.

noonesshowmonkey
12-30-16, 15:55
With a 36/300 zero, put the dot on the target at 300m...

CZDiesel
12-30-16, 20:34
Just saying that there are better tools thats all, but thank you everyone for your feed back it is much appreciated!

If I had to give my input (for a buddy asking about hotrod wheels)... I would ditch your current upper entirely. I'd register your lower as an SBR and buy 11.5" barrel with a practical profile (BCM/Sionics), grab a Gemtech BC with a BCM Bolt, BCM GFCH, etc. I'd put that barrel in your Aero upper and hang a 10" Centurion rail off it. I'd add an Arisaka M300 and an ATPIAL-C both controlled by a Surefire dual switch with a BCM stubby VFG underneath the switch, an AAC 51T FH, put an Aimpoint T2 in front of a TNVC PVS14 twist mount setup with front and rear Troy BUIS and never need another AR ever again. I know this because that is what I did. However, we all have different needs. I use NV a lot. I run a suppressor a lot, etc. My suggestion won't help you because I need a quad rail, but for anyone not using a laser a smooth MLOK or Keymod rail is infinitely better. You already have a decent "base" gun. Go shoot it and realize where your hardware deficiencies are before you dump money into another half assed build with no direction behind it.
Euro I like you idea for a SBR w/a can... Thats sounds like a great set up!

CZD, welcome to M4C. I'd just pick up a BCM upper (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=16-BFH-KMRA-15) along with a BCM BCG (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=BCG-BCM&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3DBolt%20Carrier%20Group%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html) and BCM Mod 44 Charging handle (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=GFCHA-BCM&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3Dcharging%20handle%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates/FullNav/SearchResult.html) and call it GTG.
Thank you for having me! I can see there is a lot of knowledge and opinions here. That BCM upper looks sweet!

Euro speaks much wisdom. Shoot the shit out of your current rifle until you know what you need. If you're truly set on building that upper, do as he says: sbr your lower and build a 10.3-12.5" with the best parts available. Unless you go sbr and/or 300 black out, another upper won't really bring you anything you don't already have.
Thanks! I think you and Euro are on to something and have me leaning to a SBR

Dave L.
12-31-16, 00:23
What should I build for my spare upper?

A spare lower to go with it.

CZDiesel
12-31-16, 00:25
A spare lower to go with it.

I like your thinking! lol

CZDiesel
07-17-17, 02:22
Well I thought I'd follow up on this old thread I started and let you know where I finished up.... I ended up buying a FN 14.7" mid-length barrel for the upper. I also added a Robar NP3+ BCG to go wit it. Im very happy with it and although its probably pretty pedestrian to most builds here its just what I wanted.
I sold off the PSA upper I started with but to be honest I never had any issues with it and it was both reliable and as accurate as I was.

JasonB1
07-17-17, 07:24

I can kind of understand that after shooting head size steel targets at 100 yards that were painted white with dry sage grass behind them. Magnification has some plusses.

morganscala
08-23-17, 18:14
Stop.

Do not post items for sale in dicsussion forums.

Also, do not run up your post count with one-liners just to get in the EE. Which is exactly what you have been doing this afternoon.

-SeriousStudent

morganscala
08-23-17, 19:54
This is ****ing dumb. An infraction? 5 points get a ****ing life. And people wouldn't do that shit if there wasn't some dumbass 30 post minimum.

SeriousStudent
08-23-17, 20:04
Goodbye.

26 Inf
08-23-17, 22:09
This is ****ing dumb. An infraction? 5 points get a ****ing life. And people wouldn't do that shit if there wasn't some dumbass 30 post minimum.

I believe you can bypass that by becoming a site sponsor. Hello? Hello? Anyone There? ;)

SeriousStudent
08-23-17, 22:44
No, no one is there.

And just a quick note for the viewers at home. Guess what single issue creates the most PM's to the mods/staff here? You got it, people being ripped off in the EE.

Guess what people cause the most ripoffs? Brand new posters in the EE who want to score a quick theft, and flee with your cash. That's why we have the EE policies we do.

Here Endth the Lesson.