PDA

View Full Version : Best Grip Extensions for Glock 26 or 27 mags

Doc Safari
12-30-16, 16:29
Looking into this, I thought it would be simple, but I'm encountering multiple issues from finger pinching to reliability problems.

I'm thinking of buying a Glock 26 to replace one I sold 20 years ago, but I want all the mags to have finger extensions this time.

In your experience, which are the most reliable as far as not changing the gun's reliability?

I also, while maintaining that reliability, want to have (if possible):

1. The shortest finger extension
2. The most comfortable
3. The least likely to pinch the finger
4. Easiest to install
5. Most durable

I know it's a tall order to get all the features in one finger extension, so maintaining Glock reliability is the most important.

What say you as far as your experiences if you tried one or more finger extensions for your Glock 26 or 27 mag?

(Really, though, I'm not interested in editorial comments about why do you need an extension, why don't you just buy a Glock 19, or whatever. I'm just looking for technical information on various finger extensions. Thanks.)

Pawnee
12-30-16, 16:47
Doc,

This is a road I've traveled, and may I suggest that you try a GAP Floor plate on your gun. It does not provide for a pinky finger rest, but it does lock in your grip (and draw) surprisingly well. I have a 26 and a 19. Adding a finger "extension" changes the utility of the 26. My 26 with a Pearce +2 extension is the same size grip as my 19.

One other suggestion: with the GAP Floorplate, I take a "Golf Club" grip on the Glock 26. This means that the strong-hand pinky is intertwined with your support-hand pinky. When I do this (with the GAP Floorplate), all the weirdness and issues of the dangling pinky go away. It is a very solid grip.

In regard to your other questions, it is very easy to install and I have never broken one (and I really squeeze when I shoot).

Hope this might help.

Bob

BuzzinSATX
12-30-16, 17:09
I originally used Pierce +1 extensions on my stock 10 round G26 mags, but they pinch me bad.

I found the Glock +2 extensions to be the bee's knees! NO pinch, not overly large, +2 rounds 9mm/+1 for .40 S&W, and they cost a whopping $5 each

https://store.teamglock.com/gun-parts/magazine-parts/glock-magazine-floor-plate-for-9mm-40-357-45gap.html

And if you are looking for additional mags, just buy the 12 round Glock OEM

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/magazines/magazine-fits-26-9mm-12-round-sku100002777-71424-49282.aspx

or maybe a PMAG, which I also like:

https://www.magpul.com/products/pmag-12-gl9

Doc Safari
12-30-16, 17:14
or maybe a PMAG, which I also like:

https://www.magpul.com/products/pmag-12-gl9

Interesting. I've been out of the loop and did not realize MagPul made mags for the G26. I absolutely love the PMAGS for the G17. In some ways I prefer them over the OEM mags---and the price is right, too.

Great reply.

Keep 'em coming!

Doc Safari
12-30-16, 17:29
Doc,

This is a road I've traveled, and may I suggest that you try a GAP Floor plate on your gun. It does not provide for a pinky finger rest, but it does lock in your grip (and draw) surprisingly well. I have a 26 and a 19. Adding a finger "extension" changes the utility of the 26. My 26 with a Pearce +2 extension is the same size grip as my 19.

One other suggestion: with the GAP Floorplate, I take a "Golf Club" grip on the Glock 26. This means that the strong-hand pinky is intertwined with your support-hand pinky. When I do this (with the GAP Floorplate), all the weirdness and issues of the dangling pinky go away. It is a very solid grip.

In regard to your other questions, it is very easy to install and I have never broken one (and I really squeeze when I shoot).

Hope this might help.

Bob

Interesting concept. I'll have to ponder that one. That's something I'd almost have to try out first, or maybe order one and try it out before outfitting every mag with it.

BuzzinSATX
12-30-16, 17:48
One more thing...while I know you didn't ask about these, I can tell you that the XGrip sleeve for the G19 mag on the G26 is a good fit and comfortable when you want to go that direction.

http://x-grips.com/glock/26-27c/

williejc
12-30-16, 18:02
I favor the factory +2 and suggest that you order factory mags with it already installed. If you you order the extension by itself, be advised that there are two part numbers for the parts making up the extension. Order with only one part number--you get 1/2 of the unit. For some reason I shoot the 26 better than the 19 and enjoy having a couple different grip options. A local guru explained why I shoot the 26 better; he told me that I had poor technique resulting in this anomaly. Then I beat him shooting using his 19. Experts here would consider neither of us to be competent combat shots so I'm telling a funny story with thread drift and not blowing my horn. I too like Magpul mags, and as we speak, my 26 has a M. 19 mag stuck in it. When asked, I tell people to by a 19 if they have neither.

PaLEOjd
12-30-16, 18:34
I don't use actual grip or +1 extensions on my sub-compact Glocks but I have had GAP floor plates since they were first introduced years ago. They have since been installed on all of my subcompact Glock magazines and they work great. They allow for a better grip and more control over the pistol during recoil. The GAP floor plates are well worth the money IMO.

BuzzinSATX
12-30-16, 18:55
I favor the factory +2 and suggest that you order factory mags with it already installed. If you you order the extension by itself, be advised that there are two part numbers for the parts making up the extension. Order with only one part number--you get 1/2 of the unit. For some reason I shoot the 26 better than the 19 and enjoy having a couple different grip options. A local guru explained why I shoot the 26 better; he told me that I had poor technique resulting in this anomaly. Then I beat him shooting using his 19. Experts here would consider neither of us to be competent combat shots so I'm telling a funny story with thread drift and not blowing my horn. I too like Magpul mags, and as we speak, my 26 has a M. 19 mag stuck in it. When asked, I tell people to by a 19 if they have neither.

Yes...sorry I left that part out!

3ACR_Scout
12-30-16, 19:26
Interesting. I've been out of the loop and did not realize MagPul made mags for the G26.
You're not that out of the loop. They just started shipping them on Dec 20, so they're probably just now hitting stores.

Good topic - I'm not sure that I'll buy a G26, but if I do, the magazine extension will be a deciding factor. I just didn't enjoy the short grip when I rented one a while back.

BuzzinSATX
12-30-16, 20:01
I like my G26 and with the +2 Glock floor plate, it's a very good shooter for me. I confess during the summer months, I prefer my Shield or Sig P290 that I can pocket carry in shorts, but I give up capacity for comfort. But for long drives, I prefer the 26 over my 19. Just more comfortable to wear for extended periods IMO.

Uprange41
12-30-16, 20:09
I 100% agree with the GAP floor plates.

Your pinky isn't requisite for a solid grip foundation, and being forced to omit it has resulted in better one-handed performance for me out of the 26 vs. my 19. Additionally, the GAP is the most helpful extension I've used for the draw, in that it allows you to essentially hook your hand into the gun. It's not at huge deal to work without it or with a pinky extension, but the GAP makes all the sense in the world to me. And getting out of the habit of grabbing onto an extension eliminates the risk of failures due to cranking on a longer magazine. Maybe that issue is overblown, I don't know, but it's not something I ever have to think about. My 26 has 6k on record, about 2k on top of that, and I've never had a malfunction stemming from 19, 17, or 18 mags.

If I just had to have my pinkly on the gun, I'd use a Pierce +0. The +2's on the market that don't actually lock onto anything other than the polymer tabs can, and in my experience will, fail if dropped while loaded. Maybe not now, maybe not tomorrow, but eventually they all seem to. So I personally use Pierce +0's or GAP's, which lock onto the tabs and the little "detent" in the insert between the spring and floorplate, or I use Taran Tactical which has an actual lock (though I don't think they make a G26 extension... maybe the 19 works?).

But I strongly urge anyone considering buying a G26 to compare their times with and without the pinky (assuming you have some training and a solid grip already).

Zirk208
12-30-16, 21:21
The Glock Factory 10 rounders with the Glock +2 already installed.

The Mapgul 12 rounders are new and most places still don't have them in stock. If you buy now you are part of the early adopters.

BuzzinSATX
01-28-17, 13:39
Just to update, I found the Magpul Glock 12 rounders at GT Distributors today. Bought one to see how I'd like it. Here are some pics comparing the Magpul to the Glock OEM 12 round magazine:

3ACR_Scout
01-28-17, 13:45
Great comparison photos. Magpul did a good job of keeping it compact. Kind of makes me want to get a G26...

daniel87
01-28-17, 13:56
To me the best extension is carrying a spare g19 mag.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Pawnee
01-28-17, 20:28
Comparison between Pearce +2 and the GAP floorplate with a Glock 19 grip:

Fire4Affect
01-30-17, 19:48
This is the pratical difference in the gap floorplate and the new Magpul 12 round G26 mags. About 1/8th an inch longer with the Magpul mag.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170131/d86bf19dd90a61d5cbe47be384ccea01.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pawnee
01-30-17, 20:22
Fire4,

Which do you prefer?

Fire4Affect
01-30-17, 21:35
Its a hard choice. I really like the gap floorplstes for their low profile. However, the Magpul 12 rounders don't add that much in length. I mostly carry the with the gap floorlates because I desire some more concealment. Since the cost of the gap's and Magpul mag. is reasonable I own both and based on my mood carry what I want. Really, no bad choices.

brushy bill
01-30-17, 21:57
This is the pratical difference in the gap floorplate and the new Magpul 12 round G26 mags. About 1/8th an inch longer with the Magpul mag.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170131/d86bf19dd90a61d5cbe47be384ccea01.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that a cut down OEM extended release or aftermarket?

Fire4Affect
02-01-17, 21:51
The slide stop is a Ghost Products bullet forward slide stop. I'm a lefty and I can hit it better with my shooting hand trigger finger. I don't always use that method.

jp0319
02-02-17, 08:31
I like the Pearce +0 extensions. They add just enough to get the pinky on the pistol, alternately I am interested in trying the GAP extension but have not yet.

brushy bill
02-02-17, 19:49
The slide stop is a Ghost Products bullet forward slide stop. I'm a lefty and I can hit it better with my shooting hand trigger finger. I don't always use that method.

Thanks. I like the looks of it. May test one.